Motorcycle Parts For Sale-Misc. Parts See Specific Models in Sub forums Below This is the place to post your misc. Harley Parts for sale. Please Read The Rules For Posting In the Classified Section before attempting to post here.

WTB cam bearing R/R tools. TC 103

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 12:43 PM
Mr-DD
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTB cam bearing R/R tools. TC 103

Looking to purchase a used reasonably price set of cam bearing removal and install tools. Heartland, Beatty or equivalent. I will be upgrading the cams in my 2012 Ultra Classic. Twin Cam 103 ci. Thank you

Old 02-16-2018, 06:54 PM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,006 Likes on 1,999 Posts

There was a member on here that did a rental program on some of the specialty tools...sorry I don't have any other on for you. I just ordered the heartland setup off amazon for 85 bucks...not a bad deal.

The following users liked this post:
Mr-DD (02-16-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 07:01 PM
cody.a.e
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought the kit on ebay that includes the puller and installer. I've used it on 3 cam swaps, and it works great. Was 85 bucks too. Also save yourself some money and buy the Koyo B-168 bearings on Amazon. 7 bucks a piece. They are the same bearings that come in the screamin' eagle, and S&S kits.

Mr-DD (02-16-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 09:43 PM
Mr-DD
Advanced

Thank you for the helpful info.

Old 02-27-2018, 06:53 PM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by cody.a.e
I bought the kit on ebay that includes the puller and installer. I've used it on 3 cam swaps, and it works great. Was 85 bucks too. Also save yourself some money and buy the Koyo B-168 bearings on Amazon. 7 bucks a piece. They are the same bearings that come in the screamin' eagle, and S&S kits.
I just got the kit that's made by heartland...what hunk of ****. First the puller doesn't even thread into the plate, 3/4" threads...there's 1/2" threads on the installer rod and the plate...wtf? How the hell did they expectsomeone to use that.? So I go to return it on Amazon and I have to pay shipping to return their crap...so instead of that and waiting 2 weeks for a refund and get a new one shipped I make another plate at work with 3/4" tapped holes to use the puller...lol not so fast. The sleeve on the puller is about 2 inches too long so its not even close to mounting up. So now I'll have to cut that down to fit. I have no idea what they sent me...seems like it was a bunch of leftover craigslist from a couple different kits that they just threw in a box and charged 85 bucks. I emailed heartland over the weekend and still no response from them...real nice way to do business. Lesson learned I guess but I was expecting to get at least one use out of it for 85 dollars...thanks for nothing heartland and thanks for letting me rant hdforums.com

Old 02-27-2018, 07:05 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Originally Posted by Screamin beagle
I just got the kit that's made by heartland...what hunk of ****. First the puller doesn't even thread into the plate, 3/4" threads...there's 1/2" threads on the installer rod and the plate...wtf? How the hell did they expectsomeone to use that.? So I go to return it on Amazon and I have to pay shipping to return their crap...so instead of that and waiting 2 weeks for a refund and get a new one shipped I make another plate at work with 3/4" tapped holes to use the puller...lol not so fast. The sleeve on the puller is about 2 inches too long so its not even close to mounting up. So now I'll have to cut that down to fit. I have no idea what they sent me...seems like it was a bunch of leftover craigslist from a couple different kits that they just threw in a box and charged 85 bucks. I emailed heartland over the weekend and still no response from them...real nice way to do business. Lesson learned I guess but I was expecting to get at least one use out of it for 85 dollars...thanks for nothing heartland and thanks for letting me rant hdforums.com
Beagle the plate is part of the INSTALL tool NOT the removal tool. The removal tool is used by itself. There's nothing wrong with what you have there. You offered to weld my broken exhaust. I'd be bappy to PM you my phone number and I could talk you through the job on the phone.

Old 02-27-2018, 09:53 PM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
Beagle the plate is part of the INSTALL tool NOT the removal tool. The removal tool is used by itself. There's nothing wrong with what you have there. You offered to weld my broken exhaust. I'd be bappy to PM you my phone number and I could talk you through the job on the phone.
man...I was sitting there staring at my bike with this tool in my hand and started thinking that but I thought it needs the plate to push against but now that you say it i get it! It just pulls against the sleeve...but how do you seat the puller...it appears to be a very tight fit into the bearing. That's where I thought the plate came in ,to drive the puller into the bearing, that's what I watched on YouTube anyway. I just got your message and its kinda late where I am so I won't call tonight but if I can't get my head out of my *** I'll be more than happy to get an education and issue a heartfelt apology to heartland as well. I'll pm you for some directions or post here if you want...I'm just stuck on how to seat the puller...by the way made a really nice duplicate plate at work...that apparently I no longer need lol.

Old 02-28-2018, 03:47 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

I lube the leading edge of the puller and tap it in with a small rubber dead blow hammer. Make sure the expander isn't in the tool so the jaws can collapse. I'm up this morning and don't have anything going on today so give me a call anytime.

Old 02-28-2018, 06:12 AM
Mr-DD
Advanced

Good clarification Nomad. I may have thought the same as Beagle on how to use the tools.

Old 02-28-2018, 06:32 AM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member

Thank you for making me feel like a little bit less of an idiot lol. There's no instructions and the one video that comes up for heartland on you tube shows the guy using it the way I was trying. With that I'll say sorry to heartland and that this site is invaluable when it comes to getting information..somewhere ,someone has done exactly what you're trying to do and is willing to help, also thank you to Nomadmax for pointing me in the right direction... he saved me one cutoff wheel, 11 sparks in my left eye, about 18 swear words and one fight with the wife.

Campy Roadie (02-28-2018)

Quick Reply: WTB cam bearing R/R tools. TC 103