Motorcycles For Sale Place your ad here if you're selling your Motorcycle. Please read the rules for posting in this section.
Mark this thread as Unsold

What is it worth?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 12:03 PM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 61 Posts

Sorry about your health.

I have to agree with Mxdad above.
Great looking bike, but the first thing I noticed was the date on the pics and thought "what is he hiding?"

Secondly, sorry to be blunt, but with 100k miles, I think you'd be lucky to get $6k.(but you did ask).

I wish you the best of luck with your health and the bike sale.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:13 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

Goodbirds, the best indicator, far better than KBB or NADA estimates, is to accumulate 'comps' from similar bikes in the region. Usually via want ads, Craigslist, and the like. Avoid including internet sales like eBay, and dealer pricing is not necessarily indicative of what a private owner transaction will bring. Although there is a LOT of good information on this thread, almost all of it I agree with, it's what a vehicle will bring locally that matters to you!

One of the best suggestions is that IF you have the time, start high, and gradually work down. This is the very best time of year to sell a motorcycle. But you don't want to wait until the summer starts waning into autumn.

Some have mentioned a 'soft market'. For a 2007, in my opinion, it's a VERY soft market! I recently totaled my 2006 FLHX, and actually got a lot more money from the insurance company than I thought I would. I have a very good insurance company, and in addition to the estimate done at my local dealership, they brought in an expert to analyze the local market and the extra accessories I had done to the bike...believe it or not, cuz almost all the time, this stuff doesn't add value to a unit, only curb appeal...and I got enough to buy the same thing, only a 2011 model. But my situation is NOT normal for used bike sales!

With the advent of recent upgrades, your 2007 is like four generations obsolete! It's still an outstanding motorcycle, but for what you're asking, someone could easily be into a 2009 and newer bike with an upgraded frame and other goodies. But for a buyer, your bike is one of the very best values out there! But that doesn't do you, the seller, any good. In that price range, and in your relatively remote area, you are competing against much newer bikes with MUCH lower mileage.

A hundred grand is perceived as a red flag for many buyers, regardless of the kind of maintenance and care you put in on it. If I were looking at that, I would be penciling in a very short term expenditure of at least $3000-4000 for an engine rebuild.

You're in a tough position. I hope you can figure out a way to keep it and keep on riding it. If not, maybe it has value for a friend or relative who could take it over and keep it for always. But, no matter what, please circle back to us and let us know how it all plays out. Good luck to ya, sir!

The following users liked this post:
goodbirds (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 12:26 PM
svarnster
Road Warrior
Received 295 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by goodbirds
One said he'd be down soon to look at it. The other said "nice bike".
can u add a link to your add, so we can see how it is listed, may be some tweaking available to speed up sale. I do like 1 suggestion that maybe a family member or friend could benefit from a reasonable price. helping you and them in the process. that is an option but, sometimes it is better for it to go to someone you don't know.

goodbirds (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 12:26 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,011 Likes on 576 Posts

$6238.92

Old 04-20-2017, 12:29 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Anything north of 75K miles on a Harley sets it waaay apart from 95% of all the other Harleys out there for sale; many at prices that would be considered "a steal". Here's your trouble:

A guy who doesn't know anything about Harleys is gonna see 100K miles as a deal breaker because all he knows is it's "wore out".

A guy who knows Harleys, knows it's a pre 09 frame, an outsourced crank and all the things/$ it's gonna take to freshen it up. Worse than that, he knows where three are that have less miles, are newer and cost less.

Good luck with the health issues and the sale.

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 04-20-2017 at 12:31 PM.
goodbirds (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 01:10 PM
blueglide88
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Sorry about your health. I am going to throw a whole different point of view on this.
Yes it has a lot of miles. Yes the market is soft. But to a son, a relative, or a close friend that bike might be priceless if you gave it to them. Seriously. I have no kids myself, and my old 1988 FLHS is worthless to most people, but I have a close friend is is only 30 yrs old. I'm 57 and plan to ride a long time, but when that time comes, I am giving him the bike. I know it will be priceless to him. Maybe you have somebody in your life that would love to own that bike?

The following 3 users liked this post by blueglide88:
Campy Roadie (04-20-2017), FattyMcJ (04-20-2017), goodbirds (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 03:33 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by blueglide88
Sorry about your health. I am going to throw a whole different point of view on this.
Yes it has a lot of miles. Yes the market is soft. But to a son, a relative, or a close friend that bike might be priceless if you gave it to them. Seriously. I have no kids myself, and my old 1988 FLHS is worthless to most people, but I have a close friend is is only 30 yrs old. I'm 57 and plan to ride a long time, but when that time comes, I am giving him the bike. I know it will be priceless to him. Maybe you have somebody in your life that would love to own that bike?
Agreed, this is where I was going on my previous post.

Old 04-20-2017, 04:41 PM
Just Me
Road Warrior
Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Depending on your health you may want to consider trading it in for a CanAm 3 wheeler. Best 3 wheeler money can buy IMO

Old 04-20-2017, 04:46 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

$5,000 for a fast sale. $6,000 to get lookers who want a good deal. If you can get to look, you might get $5,500.

Beary

goodbirds (04-20-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 05:29 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,383 Likes on 2,951 Posts

Would your health issues allow a trike? Your bike could be modded for that.

goodbirds (04-20-2017)

Quick Reply: What is it worth?