Mountain - Prairie Colorado | Kansas | Montana | North Dakota | Nebraska | South Dakota | Utah | Wyoming

Moving to denver or surrounding areas from nyc

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 10:48 PM
Jchaiyo
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Moving to denver or surrounding areas from nyc

Hey gang. So as the title says I'm planning on moving. I was wondering what riders say about riding in and around denver, great roads, and I would like to know all about the winter.

a little bit about me, I'm 31, I have a 15 ultra (I bought it when the m8 came out for a great discount, plus its green) that I have put 10k on mostly in nyc. I hate driving! But put me on the bike and all of sudden the FDR parking lot is enjoyable besides clutch hand.

I'm looking for a decent neighborhood to move to, one close to bars or restaurants as im in the industry and will be looking for a job (I'm trying desperately to get one before I move). But I would like to have a indoor spot for my bike (it's never been indoors before) and a car or two. Wouldn't mind having to drive 30 min to work for quality of life, but keep in mind I'm a Brooklyn kid. $1500 or less.

thanks in advance for the advice, and I look forward to waving at you when we pass (rarely happens in nyc)!

The following users liked this post:
DanDeleted (08-04-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 02:48 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

What made you pick Denver?

Old 08-02-2018, 07:27 AM
Flyin'Amber
Cruiser

Received 84 Likes on 36 Posts

The riding in and around Denver is nothing to get excited about. Like any big city you have a crap ton of traffic and lousy pothole filled roads. I've never been to NYC but I don't imagine Denver riding would be that much different, albeit on a much smaller scale of course. Colorado has lots of great riding, although I wouldn't say any of it's in the city.

If you want to live near the nightlife, you probably want somewhere near LoDo (lower downtown) which is the area near Coors Field, where the Rockies play. It's a trendy, gentrified urban area where a bunch of old warehouse and industrial buildings have been converted into lofts and condos. It's a fun and dynamic place if that's your scene.

The winters in Denver aren't usually that terrible. We get lots of sunshine here so when it snows, it generally melts off pretty quickly. There will be plenty of days in the winter where it's warm enough in the afternoons to ride comfortably.

Denver and the surrounding metro area is an expensive place to live. I'm not sure how much $1500 a month will get you in the downtown area. You might need to look father out to the north or east of town. If you want a 30 minute commute into Denver, that should give you a radius that'll cover a good chunk of the metro area so you'll probably find something.

Good luck on your job search and relocation!

Old 08-02-2018, 07:48 AM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

The Highlands area is another trendy spot. There is plenty of “culture” in this Dusty Old Cowtown in spite of what you may have heard. Lots of nightlife downtown, plenty of opportunities in the business.
Housing is incredibly expensive as noted above, $1500/month will maybe get you into decent 1bedroom apartment in a halfway decent area. For a house to rent, you’ll be looking at $2500/month minimum.
My daughter (in the business as well) just moved into an apartment in the south end of town, nice area, close to light rail, parking garage, 800 sq. feet for $1400/month.
Winters are as Flyin’Amber said, generally mild with a couple heavy storms and a couple severe cold snaps. Not the frozen wasteland everyone thinks. I’ve ridden every month of the year. Without the humidity, cold doesn’t seem as cold as it does back East.

Old 08-02-2018, 08:12 AM
cory464
Cruiser
Received 84 Likes on 49 Posts

i don't have any real insights, but i know Denver is booming. lots of new building, and lots of nice areas, i know getting out of the city and up into the mountains is some pretty amazing riding.

Old 08-02-2018, 11:27 AM
Jchaiyo
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Ron750
What made you pick Denver?
I'm in the restaurant industry right now, it's what I'm good at and it's what pays. I'm a factory trained harley technician too, but its hard to live off of flat rate. Wouldn't mind working behind a parts desk, if the money is decent. Plus riding season is working season in that industry.

there is a renaissance of restaurants and bars, and I think i have a good chance of landing a job at one. Plus moving to a rural place makes me think of the deliverance song (1972) and I think of pigs....

Old 08-02-2018, 11:37 AM
Jchaiyo
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Flyin'Amber
The riding in and around Denver is nothing to get excited about. Like any big city you have a crap ton of traffic and lousy pothole filled roads. I've never been to NYC but I don't imagine Denver riding would be that much different, albeit on a much smaller scale of course. Colorado has lots of great riding, although I wouldn't say any of it's in the city.

If you want to live near the nightlife, you probably want somewhere near LoDo (lower downtown) which is the area near Coors Field, where the Rockies play. It's a trendy, gentrified urban area where a bunch of old warehouse and industrial buildings have been converted into lofts and condos. It's a fun and dynamic place if that's your scene.

The winters in Denver aren't usually that terrible. We get lots of sunshine here so when it snows, it generally melts off pretty quickly. There will be plenty of days in the winter where it's warm enough in the afternoons to ride comfortably.

Denver and the surrounding metro area is an expensive place to live. I'm not sure how much $1500 a month will get you in the downtown area. You might need to look father out to the north or east of town. If you want a 30 minute commute into Denver, that should give you a radius that'll cover a good chunk of the metro area so you'll probably find something.

Good luck on your job search and relocation!

atleast they fill the pot holes! Ask any nyc rider why they will never get spoked wheels again.

I was looking in the cherry creek, capitol hill, Lincoln hill, but I'm willing to go further to get the pool, gym, garage. Aurora nice? 1 bedroom is all I need, no kids just a girlfriend looking to get away from the daily grind of nyc. Combined right now we are paying over 3k in rent without any amenities, my car insurance is 600 a month here...

any specific places north and east you can suggest to look?

Old 08-02-2018, 11:45 AM
Jchaiyo
Cruiser

Originally Posted by QC
The Highlands area is another trendy spot. There is plenty of “culture” in this Dusty Old Cowtown in spite of what you may have heard. Lots of nightlife downtown, plenty of opportunities in the business.
Housing is incredibly expensive as noted above, $1500/month will maybe get you into decent 1bedroom apartment in a halfway decent area. For a house to rent, you’ll be looking at $2500/month minimum.
My daughter (in the business as well) just moved into an apartment in the south end of town, nice area, close to light rail, parking garage, 800 sq. feet for $1400/month.
Winters are as Flyin’Amber said, generally mild with a couple heavy storms and a couple severe cold snaps. Not the frozen wasteland everyone thinks. I’ve ridden every month of the year. Without the humidity, cold doesn’t seem as cold as it does back East.
Like your daughter all I need is a 1 bedroom. I live in a closet in nyc and 800 ft sounds luxurious. What areas south do you suggest?

Old 08-02-2018, 12:48 PM
chuckchili
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Depending on how north and east you want to go... I would say avoid places like Commerce City, Brighton, etc. You mentioned Aurora which is one of the biggest cities in Colorado and growing like crazy. Just like most cities, there are really great neighborhoods there but also ones that aren’t so great. A lot of people enjoy riding their bikes in the mountains and Aurora is the farthest east part of the metro area which puts it the farthest from the mountains.

The southern areas like Parker, Centennial, Highlands Ranch and the like are all very nice and very expensive.

As others have said, the Denver area is traffic-packed nearly any time of day and the cost of living is sky high. My suggestion would be to come out for a long weekend and get around to all areas and see what jumps out at you.

Last edited by chuckchili; 08-02-2018 at 12:51 PM.
Old 08-02-2018, 10:00 PM
Jchaiyo
Cruiser

Originally Posted by chuckchili
Depending on how north and east you want to go... I would say avoid places like Commerce City, Brighton, etc. You mentioned Aurora which is one of the biggest cities in Colorado and growing like crazy. Just like most cities, there are really great neighborhoods there but also ones that aren’t so great. A lot of people enjoy riding their bikes in the mountains and Aurora is the farthest east part of the metro area which puts it the farthest from the mountains.

The southern areas like Parker, Centennial, Highlands Ranch and the like are all very nice and very expensive.

As others have said, the Denver area is traffic-packed nearly any time of day and the cost of living is sky high. My suggestion would be to come out for a long weekend and get around to all areas and see what jumps out at you.

that's the plan. Headed out on the 28, working on things to do it sooner.

while denver is expensive compared to many parts of the country, it has nothing on Brooklyn prices. What most people pay for a closet I can have a 1 bedroom with a gym, pool, garage etc...

thank you everyone for your input, If any other suggestions come to mind please post.

Quick Reply: Moving to denver or surrounding areas from nyc