Mountain - Prairie Colorado | Kansas | Montana | North Dakota | Nebraska | South Dakota | Utah | Wyoming

Help on northern route

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 08:21 AM
alfa4711
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help on northern route

Hi,

next spring I will rent a bike in Chicago, one way to some still to decide n/w state town.
I've been several time around MT/ID/WA/OR so no problem there but never in Minnesota, Wisconsin and the two Dakotas (except Rapid city and surrounding area).
Is there anyone who can suggest me some interesting route through these 4 states?
No interest in big cities, I prefer landscapes and small towns. Estimate 200/250 miles/day with regular stops.

Thanks in advance.

Ciao

Old 12-20-2018, 09:21 PM
OD_Cleaver
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Ciao,

I live in southeast Minnesota and I am having a hard time to come up with a route that I could recommend across the state. With that said, here are a few roads that you might want to consider…

In Minnesota
  1. MN 16 from La Crescent, MN west to Dexter, MN. From Dexter you could head north and pick up US 14 near Kasson, MN. If you want smaller towns, from Dexter go north to MN 30 at Oslo, MN. You could follow MN 30 to the SD/MN border.
  2. In MN another possibility is US 2 from Duluth to Grand Forks. (NOTE: I have told my wife that if I ever suggest driving across ND on US 2, she should have me committed. It is a long flat drive.)

You didn’t ask for it, but consider dropping down a little bit south to Nebraska. I like NE 12 from Sioux City to Valentine, NE. At Valentine pick up US 20.

Another thought is to follow the Lincoln Highway (https://www.lincolnhighwayassoc.org/) to the Mississippi River. At the river follow the “Great River Road” north. When you get to Wisconsin, veer east a bit and take some of those WI county roads numbered with letters rather than numbers. You will not make much forward progress, but you will find some excellent riding.

If you are liking the Lincoln Highway you could continue west to the Missouri River. At the Missouri River follow Louis and Clark’s journey to the northwest. (NOTE: All roads tend to get more interesting when they follow a river.)

I hope that this helps.

Old 12-21-2018, 03:12 AM
alfa4711
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, thanks anyway, I'll check those routes on the maps.
saluti