National Events A place to discuss and plan for National Events.

The Race of Gentlemen

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 09:33 AM
HDMIKETN64
Road Master
Received 210 Likes on 148 Posts

Here is Architect taking off at TROG two weeks ago tomorrow.

Architect - check your PMs. I can send you a link to download the full sized image.

Old 06-22-2018, 10:42 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,896 Likes on 2,552 Posts

Cool pic. Aaron was a real nice guy to BS with for an hour while we waited to race. I only found out after a half hour that he was miked the entire time. They were filming for his show, I was so busy with everything else I never saw the film crew. Wish I had beat him, but as you can see in the pic I had a bad launch, front wheel got caught up in a rut from a car and I was busy fighting the bike to go straight. Oh well, still a great time.

Here is a pic at the finish line, racing my TROG buddy Don from Virginia. I tried different gearing for more bottom end, it worked but I had nothing at the top. He went the other way and was able to ride around me at the top end. But a real good drag race.

Old 06-22-2018, 11:28 AM
HDMIKETN64
Road Master

That is a damn cool picture. You were not beat by much!

Did Aaron tell you how we can view the video?

Originally Posted by Architect
Cool pic. Aaron was a real nice guy to BS with for an hour while we waited to race. I only found out after a half hour that he was miked the entire time. They were filming for his show, I was so busy with everything else I never saw the film crew. Wish I had beat him, but as you can see in the pic I had a bad launch, front wheel got caught up in a rut from a car and I was busy fighting the bike to go straight. Oh well, still a great time.

Here is a pic at the finish line, racing my TROG buddy Don from Virginia. I tried different gearing for more bottom end, it worked but I had nothing at the top. He went the other way and was able to ride around me at the top end. But a real good drag race.

Old 06-22-2018, 04:21 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member

I believe his adventure at TROG will be part of an upcoming episode of his show, Shifting Gears. He also built a rail (car) that he raced on Sunday, the episode will likely center around that build. I sound like I work for him, I guess a full hour of waiting to race, we had to talk about something.

Old 06-22-2018, 06:53 PM
LOBOY72
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Was agreat weekend. The weather was iffy but good enough. We are about to book next year already. Im feakin hooked, wife is worried a flat head is gonna come home soon.... maybe. Definitely a great event with tons of great people.

Old 06-23-2018, 07:21 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by LOBOY72
Was agreat weekend. The weather was iffy but good enough. We are about to book next year already. Im feakin hooked, wife is worried a flat head is gonna come home soon.... maybe. Definitely a great event with tons of great people.
That is what happened to me, but it was her idea. 6 weeks after we attended our first TROG I was hauling home my '46 from Connecticut. Not running, owner admitted the transmission was trashed and it might as well had a Honda badge on the side of it there was so much after market Taiwan Ted crap on her. Took almost the entire year just to get her rideable to attend the event the following year as a racer. And I have never looked back including shipping the bike to Cali to race at Pismo a couple of years ago.

To me it is the best event going right now for motorcycles, and close enough to me. I will remain hooked!!!

Old 06-23-2018, 08:54 AM
HDMIKETN64
Road Master

Originally Posted by Architect
That is what happened to me, but it was her idea. 6 weeks after we attended our first TROG I was hauling home my '46 from Connecticut. Not running, owner admitted the transmission was trashed and it might as well had a Honda badge on the side of it there was so much after market Taiwan Ted crap on her. Took almost the entire year just to get her rideable to attend the event the following year as a racer. And I have never looked back including shipping the bike to Cali to race at Pismo a couple of years ago.

To me it is the best event going right now for motorcycles, and close enough to me. I will remain hooked!!!
We are definitely hooked too. If I can find an old Knucklehead I would be right there with you guys.

Old 06-23-2018, 08:57 AM
HDMIKETN64
Road Master

I put together this video collage from the sand dune at the start line. Next year I will be applying for a press pass earlier.

Facebook Post

Old 06-24-2018, 06:31 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member

Knuckle prices have gone crazy, nothing under $30k unless you are handy enough to start with a set of cases. Even then to build it even almost right you are going to be over $40k all day. The prices for stuff are insane. That is why you saw so many 45's, 5 years ago they were still reasonable. But thanks to TROG they actually changed the market value of the 45's and their values are now $10k plus all day long for a complete bike. A guy at Rhinebeck had a rolling frame with flat tires and the motor and tranny laying on the grass in a lot of pieces. He wanted $10k and was not negotiating. My bike was parked in front of my buddy's spot, someone asked it was for sale. After some BS-ing I told him $20k, he came back twice to talk some more.

45's are still the cheapest way out and still lots of US Ordinance NOS parts on the Bay. 41-46 use all the same parts as the WLA's, so lots of bits brand new wrapped in cosmolene still out there.

Good luck, get involved, best time you will have had on a motorcycles in years.

Old 06-24-2018, 10:02 AM
HDMIKETN64
Road Master

Thanks for the info, Bill. Did you have a chance to watch the video I put together from TROG? You are in it.

Quick Reply: The Race of Gentlemen