Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

Noob. 'o5 Sporty owner.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 07:02 PM
Max Moody
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob. 'o5 Sporty owner.

Greetings!

New to these forums. About 1 year old in motorcycle ownership. This is my 2nd year.

Last year I decided to put a check mark next to one of the things on my bucket list and purchased my first ever motorcycle. It was a used 05 Harley Davidson 1200 Sportster Custom. Used because I'm tight. Harley because if you're going to do it you should try to get it right the first time. But seriously, Harley because i've always wanted one and I thought it would be a waste of money to get a "starter bike" (i did mention i was tight). The time to own a Honda Rebel would've been in High School decades ago when i could't afford it and my parent's would never have let me have one.

[And seriously there's nothing wrong with Honda's or bikes that aren't Harley's. If it's 2 wheels it's all good.]

Now that i think about it i put check marks on 3 bucket list items. 1- Got a motorcycle. 2- Owning a Harley (even if Sporty's sometimes get some flack because they're sporty's). 3- Learned to ride (Got my MSF certification, which breezed me through the dmv to get the endorsement. And it's a great program for the absolute noob which i was and still kinda am).

In the year I've had the bike I've learned some things.

1. Fear: The thought of Riding still kinda makes me nervous.
2. I love it when I'm doing it. And after it's over. And when I can do it frequently. Gaps in between, like winter or other crap weather... lets the nerves get control.

3. I'm not gearing up for a short trip across town. Anything less than 30 miles (the commute to work) isn't worth it. My first ever trip on my Harley (or any motorcycle for that matter) was the 60 mile trip to bring the bike home after i got my endorsement.

4. Full face helmet's are great for keeping bugs from exploding on your face. But really suck at events like poker runs where there are frequent stops and opportunities to socialize (and when you want to make that short trip across town for something that will fit in your bags but you don't want to take the cage out because it's a really nice day other than that it's sweltering hot and the trip won't get you up to speed enough).

5. My first time on a motorcycle at interstate speeds it hit home that all the protective gear is little better than a prophylactic if the poo hits the fan.

6. I was lucky when i purchased my Harley, it truly was a "Custom". The last person to own it did a lot of cosmetic modifications on it (Tin's, paint, pipes,.. etc). I can't take credit for it's look but it's exactly what i would have done if I had the money to do it brand new.

Anyway that's me. I'm mostly probably just going to be a lurker. But I may start some threads with questions. Probably noob questions. Likely noob questions. Please bear with me.

Warmest regards...

Old 04-12-2016, 07:43 PM
RideFree1267
Road Master
Received 108 Likes on 97 Posts

Now that's an introduction. Welcome to the HD forums.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:47 PM
the wild hog
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,808 Posts

Welcome

Old 04-12-2016, 07:49 PM
Max Moody
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. What can I say... I'm long winded. And I don't like doing things halfway.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:34 PM
hullhorr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 182 Posts

Welcome from Maryland

Old 04-12-2016, 09:05 PM
lemonade_07flstc
Extreme HDF Member
Received 276 Likes on 276 Posts

Welcome to the Forums from Central IL

Old 04-12-2016, 09:14 PM
JeremyHagen68
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 269 Likes on 268 Posts

Welcome from North Dakota!

Old 04-12-2016, 09:54 PM
EricRay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 629 Posts

Welcome aboard

Old 04-12-2016, 11:10 PM
sloufoot
Received 4,081 Likes on 3,483 Posts

Welcome to the H-D Forums from Idaho ! ENJOY !

Remember ,,,,, If you ever loose the fear of riding a motorcycle, you best not ride.
Also always dress for the slide,, don't dress for the ride !

Old 04-12-2016, 11:45 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Quick Reply: Noob. 'o5 Sporty owner.