Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

Hi from a ny escapee to Florida

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 08:46 AM
13FXDWG
Elite HDF Member
Received 2,133 Likes on 1,094 Posts
Default Hi from a ny escapee to Florida

Left the anti gun **** run over taxed state of NY. Been here 3 weeks, closed the sale of my house and bought a bike. Found a sweet deal locally. Was going to buy a sportster 72 but found a dyna wide glide with 850 miles on it. The old dude that had it sold it for the same reason my father couldn't ride any more. Diabetes ravaged him just as bad if not worse my father. We used to ride together in NY he had a suzuki volusia I had a marauder. Was a somewhat fun bike had drag bars cobra pipes I ripped the baffles out of the pipes had a kuryaken hypercharger, had plenty of get up and go could pull wheelies without using the clutch. Just didn't care for the wimpy tone of the exhaust. Had plenty of dirt bikes growing up ran in motocross 250 and 500cc classes until the tracks started pushing 2 smokes out in favor of 4 strokes. Guess the other trade off is snowmobiles for jet skis.

Love the no helmet law, not so fond of the medicated half blind and deaf grey hairs running around in Buicks Cadillacs Lincoln's etc. so pipes intake and tuner are coming within a couple of weeks. I am a certified ford diesel tech by trade so this and anything extensive should be a walk in the park mechanical wise. Used to build and race stock cars too can't find any dirt tracks to do that anymore seems mud bogging is the thing to do to kill time down here, might look into an older pickup and build an engine throw a lift kit in and join the cool kid club!

Speaking of clubs, and I do not mean to come off as a troll or as ignorant.
My sister and brother in law moved down here 5 years ago when my father was sick. My brother in law is into MCs... My father gave him his bike to run until he saved up and bought his own.
I get this harley and the kid wants me to join the club... After talking with him and my sister, it really doesn't appeal to me especially the part of being obligated to ride in groups, or devote time that can be better spent, to club meetings...

We ended up getting into an argument over it as he turned into salesman mode trying to push this onto me. I said I'd start my own club and then he laughed and told me I'd have to seek approval from the big 1% club and probably pay dues to them... Excuse me, I left a state where taxes were astronomical. You mean to tell me I have to pay dues to someone or some organization (extortion in my eyes) to have the privilege to have a motorcycle club and ride with a group of friends on public highways? I Thought this was America? His response was if you don't, and just open your own without approval you are privy to attacks and threats. As my understanding of this states law, it's a stand your ground state, any threats or actions against you living a happy healthy prosperous life you may defend with lethal and deadly force... Opposed to NY if a criminal breaks into your home and you shoot them you get hauled off to jail for defending your life and property whether they were armed or not is irrelevant.
To which he responded that's how it works! It's about respect!

He talks and makes it sound like some mafia wanna bes, it's about "respect". And if you have problems with another club it's better to have a club to "have your back". This is where I'm confused... I know my brother in law is a weakling, mentally he is. He needs to fit in, be a part of something, and has to have people to have his back. Not that he's a troublemaker. Me I'm the polar opposite, don't mess with me or my property and we're good. First night here him and I went out to bars and the last bar we went to someone got mouthy saying I looked like a cop and they killed cops, ended that night with a fist fight and he took off like a Sally he dialed up my sister and mother telling them that we were probably going to get arrested. That wasn't my first rodeo and there's a reason I park close to exits far from the bar so in the event cops do show they have no clue as to where I went and all they know was I walked in not what I drove. I don't understand what he needs people for that he can't handle on his own he's 6'2 235 covered in tattoos. Especially if he's out on a bike... Invited me over for a BBQ later today to "meet the boys who have his back" told him nah, I'm good bro, I'm not into boys, women on the other hand... As you can tell I don't have a lot of respect for him, and he doesn't answer questions rather gets defensive as to why I should join the club he's in. The way I see it, things are like a bunch of highschool girls in these clubs at least that's my impression of MCs. They need each other's backs can't fend for themselves. I've been to his house when a few guys from his club were there and they were like highschool drama queens talking about other members and clubs and what they were doing... Really who cares what so and so is doing... As long as they aren't beating or cheating on their women, slinging dope, or out stealing or vandalizing doing things to give the club a bad image, who cares? Maybe someone can explain MCs better than him. Because hell would freeze over before I paid dues to someone or some organization if I wanted to form my own club and ride on public highways. And problems with other clubs I'm a bit baffled on' if you are out riding a bike not being menacing to the public how are you going to have problems with other clubs?

Old 05-29-2016, 10:12 AM
Dake
Club Member
Received 1,035 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Welcome from Georgia to the forum!

Old 05-29-2016, 10:22 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Welcome Aboard

Welcome aboard from a fellow escapee! Left NJ 2 years ago, never looked back!

Old 05-29-2016, 10:28 AM
13FXDWG
Elite HDF Member
Received 2,133 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Hello Dake!
Ever miss the snow Jeff? I sure will! Used to snowboard and go snowmobiling a lot. I won't miss NYs politics, taxes, and cost of living that's for sure!
School shooting in CT. Cuomo makes every gun that's semi auto illegal or need to be registered through the state. Boston gets bombed where's Andy on banning pressure cookers?!

Old 05-29-2016, 01:05 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,930 Likes on 1,914 Posts

A big welcome to you from sunny Southern California. Glad to have you on board.

Old 05-29-2016, 01:21 PM
the wild hog
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,847 Likes on 2,804 Posts

Welcome

Old 05-29-2016, 01:23 PM
dyna105
Road Master
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Be sure to check the "Florida Crew Section" . Some fine people are down there to ride with.

Old 05-29-2016, 01:42 PM
EricRay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 629 Posts

Welcome aboard.

Old 05-29-2016, 03:25 PM
Lou'sUltra
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,273 Likes on 1,264 Posts

Welcome from Ohio

Old 05-29-2016, 05:16 PM
lemonade_07flstc