Welcome Area Only New Member Welcome Area Only. Be sure to pop in here and introduce yourself & let us know what Harley Davidson you own. Save your bike related questions for the proper area.

Problems, Problems 05 Dyna Superglide

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 04:28 PM
MTNLADY
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems, Problems 05 Dyna Superglide

This bike has been problems since Day 1 that the dealer tells me is normal. I had a band go in the front tire which they replaced and works fine. Then twice the front valve seals have gone, and I am told it will happen again. The head mechanic at the dealership could not hear anything when I brought it in so we both listened to the engine and I had to tell him when it was making the noise - come to find out the compensating nut was loose and tore up my rotor. Now it had oil coming out from behind the primary and the dealer says it came from the vent tube because I rode it too hard and all the seals are dry. I only went 65 mph for 35 miles in 4th gear. It started dripping then a cup poured onto the pavement. I am now talking to HD directly with a reference #. I think I should get a new bike with all these problems and HD says my bike is fine. When I roll on at the low end of the speed and off at the top end of the speed the throttle from 38 to 42 in 2nd gear, and 48 to 52 in 4th gear and 58 to 62 in 5th gear I get a vibration/shudder/I don't know what to call it. But the dealer says they don't feel it so it doesn't exist. I rode back to back my bike and an 05 just like it except the other bike had a stage 1 kit in it but anyway that bike did not have the same odd feelings I am getting from mine when I roll on and off. HD is about ready to pull my warranty and this mess will be out of my pocket. I need help to figure this out asap. HELP HELP

Old 09-01-2006, 04:44 PM
banjopickin101
Road Warrior
Received 543 Likes on 219 Posts
Default RE: Problems, Problems 05 Dyna Superglide

[sm=welcomesign.gif]from North Carolina

I am sorry to hear about your problems! Have you tried another Dealer?
I think you will get more help if you post this in the tech forum

Old 09-01-2006, 04:57 PM
Wayward Son
Road Master

Welcome from Council Bluffs, Iowa.

I think you need to slow down. Gather your thoughts.

What year bike is it? What model? You bought it new? What dealer? How did you break it in (if new)? Did you pay for setup (if new)?

If it was making a noise, and you pointed it out to the dealer and he told you it was normal, then the bike broke, you might have a case. Might. Document your issues. Write down when you went to the dealer (each time) whom you delt with, what you complained about, and what you were told to do about it, or what fix the dealer did.

That's a start.

"HD is about ready to pull my warranty"

Please explain. I get the feeling that something is going on that has not been said. What's the whole story?

Forgive me for being new, I see that it's an 05 superglide, has this been going on for 2 years?

Old 09-01-2006, 07:52 PM
Sooee
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

G'day, welcome to the HDForums from New Zealand, enjoy!!!! [sm=welcomesign.gif]

Old 09-02-2006, 01:06 AM
Blackbird
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Welcome aboard from Omaha, Nebraska.

Old 09-02-2006, 01:25 AM
wildman67
Extreme HDF Member

Hi! welcome from maryland! sorry can't help you. you might want to post in the tech thread. bob know's everything.

Old 09-03-2006, 05:33 PM
MTNLADY
Stage II

OK what do you want to know - I bought it new - from Green Mtn Harley in Essex Jct., VT (I do not blame GMH - I blame the manufacturer for my lemon) - Its an FXDI - I broke it in per my owners manual. I did exactly as they asked in the manual. At 1300 miles it was running fine - I hesitated to take it to the dealer because it was running so well - After I took it to the dealer for the 1000 mile check up I started having problems. I do have everything documented. And yes I did help the tech with the noise when the compensating nut fell off and tore up the rotor. There are 11 times that the dealer has worked on the bike so I did not get into depth about each item - I can retype every invoice if that is what you need to help me - I gave just the current facts. The whole story is on the invoices. My warranty was extended on the bike as I bought it in Nov of 05 but did not ride it until the summer of 05 because in Vermont winter riding where I live is impossible. When the 1st valve seal went they -unsure if it was GMH or HD directly who- extended my warranty.

I thought about going to another dealer but I feel that this dealer got the cash for the bike and they should be the ones to deal with it. I hate to throw problems onto another dealer just yet but that may be a possibility.

About gathering my thoughts and slowing down - I am pretty upset about all of this so I apologize if I left you without all the facts - but again I can type them directly from the invoices if that would help me.

I have posted this in tech thread looking for help too - thanks Blackbird in Omaha, Nebraska.

Don't get me wrong - I love my bike - I love the way it sits, handles and looks. I just can't believe all I have been thru is Normal???

Old 09-03-2006, 09:27 PM
notorious
Road Captain

Check your state lemon law and do not let the issue die. Retain a lawer if nessessary. Each dealer is independent therefor many do not concern thenmselves with issues from another although you need to address this before your warrenty expires. Good luck and go to the other forums and let us know how this progresses. There are many informative areas that may interest you.
[quote ]ORIGINAL: MTNLADY

OK what do you want to know - I bought it new - from Green Mtn Harley in Essex Jct., VT (I do not blame GMH - I blame the manufacturer for my lemon) - Its an FXDI - I broke it in per my owners manual. I did exactly as they asked in the manual. At 1300 miles it was running fine - I hesitated to take it to the dealer because it was running so well - After I took it to the dealer for the 1000 mile check up I started having problems. I do have everything documented. And yes I did help the tech with the noise when the compensating nut fell off and tore up the rotor. There are 11 times that the dealer has worked on the bike so I did not get into depth about each item - I can retype every invoice if that is what you need to help me - I gave just the current facts. The whole story is on the invoices. My warranty was extended on the bike as I bought it in Nov of 05 but did not ride it until the summer of 05 because in Vermont winter riding where I live is impossible. When the 1st valve seal went they -unsure if it was GMH or HD directly who- extended my warranty.

I thought about going to another dealer but I feel that this dealer got the cash for the bike and they should be the ones to deal with it. I hate to throw problems onto another dealer just yet but that may be a possibility.

About gathering my thoughts and slowing down - I am pretty upset about all of this so I apologize if I left you without all the facts - but again I can type them directly from the invoices if that would help me.

I have posted this in tech thread looking for help too - thanks Blackbird in Omaha, Nebraska.

Don't get me wrong - I love my bike - I love the way it sits, handles and looks. I just can't believe all I have been thru is Normal???
[/quote]

Old 09-03-2006, 09:45 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Howdy from Dallas. Take it to another dealer, and if they do not help go to the MoCo.

Old 09-04-2006, 04:16 PM
Wayward Son
Road Master

You are talking to HD directly and have a reference number.

I think that's a good direction for you. What did they tell you? From what I read, your situation is abnormal. Like the others said, what lemon laws apply in your state? 11 times seems excessive.

If you purchased an extended warranty, it should be honored. Read the fine print. Perhaps you can have your bike gone over with a fine tooth comb before the warrany expires. Even if you have to pay for the labor, this could identify problems that might get covered under the warranty.

Good Luck

Quick Reply: Problems, Problems 05 Dyna Superglide