Sponsored by:

What Would You Do ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 07:56 AM
StreetGlider321
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Would You Do ???

So my 2000 Wide Glide is totaled and will replace it with a Street Glide.

Lets have some fun, I know the answers can be as many as there are members. I hope to be able to go through all these and makes some sound decisions come new purchase time.

So, you are getting a new 2014/2015 FLHXS Street Glide Special. You want a few upgrades rolled into the purchase price and completed by your local dealership prior to taking delivery in hopes of alleviating any warranty issues. All upgrades will revolve around the 103 engine and performance with mostly city riding between 34 and 55 MPH but long road trips once a year.

For sure:
Mufflers - maybe a set of 4" RC Components Excalibur Eclipse slip on mufflers
Headers - maybe Vance & Hines Power Duals Header
Air Cleaner - maybe Screamin' Eagle Heavy Breather or Roland Sands Turbine Air Cleaner
Tuner - maybe Power Vision Black Series Tuner
Cam - ??? Again primarily city riding between 34 and 55 MPH but long road trips once a year

So for sure:
Mufflers
Headers
Air Cleaner
Tuner
Cam

What else ???

Or would I be better off doing a Big Bore or Performance Stage Kit?

Looking for some quick low speed get up and go to get around the gray hairs here in Florida willing to sacrifice a little on the MPH side but do approximately a 3000 mile round trip every summer with some old Army buddies with some long lonely stretches of open road cruising at 80.

Ideally (which never seems to work out) would like to get her set up and ready to go from the get go so I don't again do the constant new components one at a time having to then replace some things I did earlier. I know this may be an unrealistic goal but ready to try for it as I will be retiring soon and will need to try and behave financially.

So what say you fine folks here at the HD Forums

Last edited by StreetGlider321; 09-26-2014 at 08:53 AM.
Old 09-26-2014, 08:12 AM
baldguy13
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't see a need for the cam if you just need enough to get around gray hairs. The Stage 1 is fun (and something I am doing) but I would think the 103 is fast enough out of the box for what you need.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:19 AM
mil23699
Stage II

Just replaced my 12 Electra Glide with a 15 Street Glide Special. From the factory, the Electra Glide did not perform very well so I did a stage I upgrade; SuperTrapp Supermegs, Big Sucker and TTS Master Tune. Very happy with the results. Decided to do the same upgrades to the new Street Glide but since some of the parts were on back order decided to take delivery of the bike and ride it until the aftermarket components arrived. Was immediately surprised at how well the stock bike performed. Had I ridden the bike prior to ordering the stage I kit, most likely would have kept it stock. Recommend you ride the bike before making any decisions. If you’re over about 5’ 8” suggest you begin looking at replacement wind shields as the factory shield is too short to provide any protection. I went with a Clear View medium and am pleased with the performance.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:23 AM
68 XLCH
Road Warrior
Received 149 Likes on 129 Posts

Mufflers
Headers
Air Cleaner
Tuner
Dyno

Old 09-26-2014, 08:48 AM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 574 Likes on 416 Posts

Add the headset interface.

Old 09-26-2014, 09:02 AM
batman.
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by StreetGlider321
So my 2000 Wide Glide is totaled and will replace it with a Street Glide.

Lets have some fun, I know the answers can be as many as there are members. I hope to be able to go through all these and makes some sound decisions come new purchase time.

So, you are getting a new 2014/2015 FLHXS Street Glide Special. You want a few upgrades rolled into the purchase price and completed by your local dealership prior to taking delivery in hopes of alleviating any warranty issues. All upgrades will revolve around the 103 engine and performance with mostly city riding between 34 and 55 MPH but long road trips once a year.

For sure:
Mufflers - maybe a set of 4" RC Components Excalibur Eclipse slip on mufflers
Headers - maybe Vance & Hines Power Duals Header
Air Cleaner - maybe Screamin' Eagle Heavy Breather or Roland Sands Turbine Air Cleaner
Tuner - maybe Power Vision Black Series Tuner
Cam - ??? Again primarily city riding between 34 and 55 MPH but long road trips once a year

So for sure:
Mufflers
Headers
Air Cleaner
Tuner
Cam

What else ???

Or would I be better off doing a Big Bore or Performance Stage Kit?

Looking for some quick low speed get up and go to get around the gray hairs here in Florida willing to sacrifice a little on the MPH side but do approximately a 3000 mile round trip every summer with some old Army buddies with some long lonely stretches of open road cruising at 80.

Ideally (which never seems to work out) would like to get her set up and ready to go from the get go so I don't again do the constant new components one at a time having to then replace some things I did earlier. I know this may be an unrealistic goal but ready to try for it as I will be retiring soon and will need to try and behave financially.

So what say you fine folks here at the HD Forums
Call me crazy but heres how i see it. Your used to a 14/15 year old bike. I was in the same boat. Bikes have improved so much that Id suggest you buy it and RIDE it before you start talking cams and big bore kits and that other stuff...A stage 1 kit is nice but not really a right out of the box gotta have it thing.

Batman.

Old 09-26-2014, 09:08 AM
1BRAVO9
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 579 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by baldguy13
I wouldn't see a need for the cam if you just need enough to get around gray hairs. The Stage 1 is fun (and something I am doing) but I would think the 103 is fast enough out of the box for what you need.

I have to second this.

Old 09-26-2014, 09:33 AM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with the above post about the technology advancing so much in 15 yrs. My 11 limited was a slug compared to my new 14. I would ride it before I made any changes. They are zippy out of the box and on the first fillup, 4 gallons, 216 miles, that's 54MPG! I was very impressed. My 11 was only getting 42-44 with a stage 1. I am sure that will change once it breaks in more. Best of luck whatever you decide.

Old 09-26-2014, 10:02 AM
pepe3rd1
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with the above, that's what made me upgrade right from the git go was the way it performed stock.
With that being said, I still did the exhaust and cams w/ dyno tune, love the additional power when rolling throttle and the sound of the exhaust. But then again it's all what you like. Take a test ride and see for yourself. You can't go wrong, buy the '14 also and save a few grand.

Old 09-26-2014, 10:09 AM
StreetGlider321
Intermediate

You know you guys do make a good point, I am sure things have changed. All may past experience was you needed to let things breath so AC and Exhaust then a tune was always needed. Most the guys I ride with and talk with are still doing the same and even with their 103's and 110's never left my 88 in the dust ever.
Being that I personally do not like the look of the AC that will indeed be changed out, not sure about a snorkel though, know they seem to be the look thing but not sure about it's performance over others so may just rent a bike for the weekend and see where my leg sits and decide from there.
If I am doing the AC then again just operating from an old thought process why not the headers and mufflers as well and then a tune.
Wouldn't bother me to not have to replace the cam and stay away from the big bore and performance kits.
I have never been close to 54mpg, that is impressive. Think I will indeed just rent one for a weekend and go from there. Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

Quick Reply: What Would You Do ???