Sponsored by:

2014 Screamin Eagle 110 engine failure no compression

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 05:32 AM
TimLScheffer
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Default 2014 Screamin Eagle 110 engine failure no compression

Has anyone else had engine trouble? Just turned 20K on my 2014 Screamin Eagle Limited CVO. I rode 400 miles on Sunday. Then Monday morning on the way to work it started firing on on cylinder. The rear cylinder lost compression. It's in the shop they aint told me exactly what is wrong with it yet, but they say it's gonna take a week to get the parts? Is it my imagination or do none of the Dealerships keep parts on hand locally? Anyhow I will update when I find out more. This sucks... It wern't no cheap motorcycle... I went new to have peace of mind on trips... 110 engine failure no compression... edit update
The compression release valve stuck.. Then bent a lifter and trashed the head in the rear cylinder ................ ......................... ................................. .................................................. . .................................................. ...... .................... . ... . ...................... ............................ .. Edit Update 2-6-2014.................................. ... The repairs lasted 3.5 months. They picked it up today for the same symptom. I lost compression in the front cyllinder.. .................................................. .................................................. ..................................... .......................... ...... Update 2-12-14 .................Bent a valve on the front head. I got a look at the Lifter when the front jug went 5k miles after the back. The Shaft on the lifter was bent about quarter inch below the valve surface. The shaft was blue like it got hot and gunked up. The Tech said it looked like it was operating without oil which cause it to heat up get soft and bend. The oil was black but it was less than three thousand miles old. It is obvious the shaft of the lifter was not getting sufficient oil. Why is still the mystery. In my searching the Web I have found two other fellers with the same problem. The Tech suggested that the oil was being picked back up by the oil pump while it was still too hot do any good and that the Cam Plate would re route the oil and give it time to cool... For what ever reason oil is sometimes not getting to the valve shafts sufficietly... What would cause that?............................................. .................................................. .................................................. ............................................ Thinking of adding a fan assist oil cooler? Any thoughts. ?... ............................... ......... .... ... Tech suggested I go with this kit. Harley-Davidson Screamin' Eagle Billet Cam Support Plate with High Volume Oil Pump 25282-11
A great upgrade for any performance motor. The Billet Cam Support Plate is manufactured from billet aluminum with pressed-in bronze bushings, and is pre-assembled with the crankshaft bushing and oil pressure relief valve.

Aluminum is specified at 6061 billet plate, heat treated to T6 specifications with a surface-hardened anodized finish to provide superior strength, rigidity, and durability
CNC-precision machining ensures precise dimensions and constant material thickness across the plate, enabling perfect alignment of cams and chains
Made from 660 bronze materials to provide enhanced wear resistance
Provides higher pressure when the oil is hot to keep pressure drops to a minimum
Increases the oil supply by 16% and the scavenging by 29% over the '06-later Original Equipment oil pump. http://houseofharley.com/en/products...FYREaQod_bcA2Q At this point I understand that there is a problem with this engine... Yes I should go back stock and let them deal with it... But I just want it to be right... If stock ain't right then we gotta do what Harley Owners have always done... Come out of pocket to make it right.

Last edited by TimLScheffer; 02-17-2015 at 09:33 AM.
Old 11-14-2014, 05:56 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

I wouldn't jump to conclusions too early...let the dealership finish up and assess damage. I'm sure they'll get you fix'd up right and you'll soon be back to the highway. Definitely give an update, when they find the root cause.

Old 11-14-2014, 06:18 AM
GCSuper
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts

The 110 doesn't have a great track record. Head over to www.cvoharley.com and read up on it.
When I traded in my 06 Screaming Eagle Ultra, the reason I decided to go with a Limited and not a CVO was due to not wanting the 110. It is much better now than when it was introduced, but I just didn't want it.

Old 11-14-2014, 11:27 AM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

I bet it's something simple. Let us know what caused your issue.

I traded a 07 CVO ultra toward my 14 Classic Limited. One of my great disappointments was learning that the 110 was not beefed up with SE components. The motor is basically a 103 with bigger jugs and heads. The bigger motor creates additional heat and stress. I would assume that the 14 up twin cooled 110's are the best yet with water cooling.

When car manufactures offer larger, more powerful motors they generally beef up the whole package. Harley did not do that with the 110. Not putting the motor down, just explaining my disappointment.

Old 11-14-2014, 01:07 PM
FinalShot
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds similar to what happened to me. I had a 103 that the compression release valve was stripped during install at the factory. It finally made it's way out of the head. New head and valve and all worked fine.

Old 11-14-2014, 01:22 PM
offthewall
Stellar HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Tim,

You must have a giant black cloud that follows you everywhere. You have had more than your fair share of problems and bad luck.

Let us know the cause.

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

Old 11-17-2014, 02:16 PM
TimLScheffer
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Roger Wilco... Murphy's bustin my ..

Roger Wilco... Murphy's bustin my Chops ... I got a look at the Lifter when the front jug went 5k miles after the back. The Shaft on the lifter was bent about quarter inch below the valve surface. The shaft was blue like it got hot and gunked up. The Tech said it looked like it was operating without oil which cause it to heat up get soft and bend. The oil was black but it was less than three thousand miles old. It is obvious the shaft of the lifter was not getting sufficient oil. Why is still the mystery. In my searching the Web I have found two other fellers with the same problem. The Tech suggested that the oil was being picked back up by the oil pump while it was still too hot do any good and that the Cam Plate would re route the oil and give it time to cool... For what ever reason oil is sometimes not getting to the valve shafts sufficietly... What would cause that?

Last edited by TimLScheffer; 02-17-2015 at 09:26 AM.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:24 AM
rs87277
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

those are expensive,,,,,,

Old 11-18-2014, 04:38 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 545 Posts

Any updates? It's not uncommon for the valves to stick open on the 110" heads. Either way, you've got the warranty. Hope it turns out well.

Old 11-18-2014, 04:52 PM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member
Received 820 Likes on 527 Posts
Cool

Betcha it's either a valve guide or a lifter that went!

Should be covered under warranty. Just make sure that if there is some metal in that motor oil, get it all out!

Keep us posted, sorry to hear.

YB

Quick Reply: 2014 Screamin Eagle 110 engine failure no compression