Sponsored by:

Rekluse exp automatic clutch

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 05:04 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts
Default Rekluse exp automatic clutch

Stopped at my local Harley dealership today. They had brochure's and a display for this new automatic clutch. They claim you can use you clutch per normal or shift without using your clutch. Claims to fit all big twins and add life to your clutch. Pretty wild.

I'm not ready for this yet....but who knows as I add years. Nice to know it can be added without needing to buy a new bike.

I really don't know what to think.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:02 PM
Joe S.
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Rekluse in my '01 FXD so it is an earlier version. I had it installed at a time when my left arm was kind of messed up and it was difficult to pull a clutch lever without a lot of pain.
It has numerous pros and cons as most things do. This is how I see it:
It is somewhat difficult to install and adjust. The fellow who did it for me was in contact with Rekluse a number of times before he got it right. To be fair he had never done one so it was a new experience for him. Once adjusted though it has needed no further adjustment except for an incident I'll explain next.
I had a problem with the bike in Montana, not at all related to the clutch but it did require some dealer assistance. Despite my telling them it had a Rekluse and not to tweak with it the mechanic did anyway and got it really screwed up. He spent a lot of time with the guy who installed it for me and finally got it right again. So if you have one tell the service guys to write Rekluse clutch on the service order in red, do not adjust.
In daily riding its fairly easy to use, plunk it in gear and turn the throttle and away you go, typically very smoothly. If you are of a mind to shift at low rpm its quite nice and upshifts easily. If you ride it hard you can upshift it easily once you get the timing of the shifts and the point at which to blip the throttle a bit. If I am riding hard I like to pull the clutch lever in just a tiny bit and find it shifts better for me.
Downshifting I find a little more tricky. If you have the engine quite low in rpm it will shift down smoothly but if you are running up to a corner a bit to fast and downshift you will likely get some tire chirping, at least I do.
Oh, and it is expensive. When I got mine the parts were right at $1000, clearly not a small investment.
The last I heard Rekluse had pulled the clutch from the market but were considering a redesign. I have no idea if this is what you saw or not. If it is a redesign it could work differently in some ways. I know they're big in the dirt bike industry and I believe its a reputable product. Mine has about 10k on it now and I feels its trustworthy as far as reliability goes.
BTW, you can uninstall it and go back to the stock HD system. I'm toying with that now since I'm not having medical issues any longer.

The following users liked this post:
rcn1963 (09-17-2018)
Old 12-16-2014, 07:20 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Joe S.
I have a Rekluse in my '01 FXD so it is an earlier version. I had it installed at a time when my left arm was kind of messed up and it was difficult to pull a clutch lever without a lot of pain.
It has numerous pros and cons as most things do. This is how I see it:
It is somewhat difficult to install and adjust. The fellow who did it for me was in contact with Rekluse a number of times before he got it right. To be fair he had never done one so it was a new experience for him. Once adjusted though it has needed no further adjustment except for an incident I'll explain next.
I had a problem with the bike in Montana, not at all related to the clutch but it did require some dealer assistance. Despite my telling them it had a Rekluse and not to tweak with it the mechanic did anyway and got it really screwed up. He spent a lot of time with the guy who installed it for me and finally got it right again. So if you have one tell the service guys to write Rekluse clutch on the service order in red, do not adjust.
In daily riding its fairly easy to use, plunk it in gear and turn the throttle and away you go, typically very smoothly. If you are of a mind to shift at low rpm its quite nice and upshifts easily. If you ride it hard you can upshift it easily once you get the timing of the shifts and the point at which to blip the throttle a bit. If I am riding hard I like to pull the clutch lever in just a tiny bit and find it shifts better for me.
Downshifting I find a little more tricky. If you have the engine quite low in rpm it will shift down smoothly but if you are running up to a corner a bit to fast and downshift you will likely get some tire chirping, at least I do.
Oh, and it is expensive. When I got mine the parts were right at $1000, clearly not a small investment.
The last I heard Rekluse had pulled the clutch from the market but were considering a redesign. I have no idea if this is what you saw or not. If it is a redesign it could work differently in some ways. I know they're big in the dirt bike industry and I believe its a reputable product. Mine has about 10k on it now and I feels its trustworthy as far as reliability goes.
BTW, you can uninstall it and go back to the stock HD system. I'm toying with that now since I'm not having medical issues any longer.

Thanks for sharing. The part on display looked like a $150 part, just my guess. I'm probably wrong.

Old 12-16-2014, 09:17 PM
Joe S.
Cruiser

Originally Posted by scottt
Thanks for sharing. The part on display looked like a $150 part, just my guess. I'm probably wrong.

I actually looked it up on the Rekluse site after I wrote the review blurb. They say $799 so they actually lowered the price since I bought mine. I may give them a call and find out what, if anything, they changed or improved.
Its certainly not that it isn't a good idea. Some people really need something like that in order to keep riding. During that time I also got a Suzuki 400 Burgman scooter for the same reason as the Rekluse. Frankly the scooter worked a little better simply because you don't have to shift it at all. I hope Rekluse keeps working on developing the unit, I think there is a market for it, small most likely, but when you need it you need it.

Old 12-16-2014, 11:10 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member

Thank you, I'm blown away by the price...would have never guessed that high.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:20 AM
Joe S.
Cruiser

It isn't cheap. If I thought I wanted one I would be calling them and asking some questions about its function and it wouldn't be unreasonable to ask why it is priced so high. I think they're both fair questions.

Old 01-28-2015, 12:56 PM
adamox
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which dealership did you see the rekluse auto clutch at?

Old 01-28-2015, 01:42 PM
NiteOwlNY
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have nerve damage stemming from my neck, down both arms but the left is a lot worse and I loose gripping ability from time to time. I've been seriously considering this, it would help with my fear of getting stuck in traffic and having to be constantly engaging the clutch.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:47 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by adamox
Which dealership did you see the rekluse auto clutch at?
Folsom HD, Folsom California.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:03 PM
Joe S.
Cruiser

Originally Posted by NiteOwlNY
I have nerve damage stemming from my neck, down both arms but the left is a lot worse and I loose gripping ability from time to time. I've been seriously considering this, it would help with my fear of getting stuck in traffic and having to be constantly engaging the clutch.

It might work really well for you. I did talk with Rekluse about the new one and it seems that they mainly reworked it for ease of install and to bring the price down some. He thought it would likely function about like mine does.
If I were in your position I would seriously consider it, they do offer a money back guarantee within 30 days (I believe) so there is not huge risk involved.
The biggest concern I'd have is making sure it gets installed properly and, more importantly, adjusted properly. Rekluse can probably tell you if there is a dealer in your area experienced with them if you don't feel up to tackling it yourself.

Quick Reply: Rekluse exp automatic clutch