2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interested in the Boom Stage II audio, but have some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 03:50 PM
dgreen1069
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Interested in the Boom Stage II audio, but have some questions.

I have a 2014 CVO Limited with that came stock with the Boom Audio stage I system. Basically, it has the 4 channel fairing mounted amp and upgraded 6.5 speakers. Until the new CVO Street Glides came out, it was probably the best system on any stock bike. The CVO Street Glides have 4 newer speakers and 2 300 watt Boom Audio amps.

I'm interested in adding the 2nd amp and upgrading my speakers, but I'm not sure how it all works. I stopped by one of my local dealers and they happened to have a Street Glide Special that had the new system installed (dealer added). On their bike, the 2nd amp was in the saddlebag. I assumed this was how a 2nd amp would mount on my bike, but looking at photos of the parts, I'm not so sure. The parts department gave me part numbers for the 4 speakers, amp, and amp mounting kit. The mounting kit for the amp was #76000585. I'm assuming this is some kind of tourpack mount. Does anyone know for sure? If so, does it mount inside or underneath? http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...stallation-kit

Does anyone know how the fairing mounted amp is wired? Right now the amp powers all four of my speakers. How is it changed to power just the front speakers? How is the amp bridged to only power 2 speakers with 150 watts each?

Has anyone heard the Stage II system next to a Stage I system? Is there a substantial difference in volume? I find the Stage I system to be very good, but it could definitely be louder.

Old 01-28-2015, 04:00 PM
FinalShot
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

It's a pretty confusing upgrade with the limited info HD has published. Here's how it works based on my discussion with HD, dealers and research.

The phase II speakers each have two channels, the main driver and a tweeter/mid versus the original that was one channel with a driver and tweeter. The new II amps provide 75 watts to each tweeter/mid and woofer. Think of it as each speaker is now two speaker just mounted together. So, the wiring harnesses now changes the existing amps 4 channels to four speakers to power two speakers with two channels each.

You add the additional amp to the saddle bag to power the phase II speakers in the tour pak. Some of us think that we could mount the amp under the tour pak instead of inside the bags. The only question seems to be how weather resistant the amp is.

Old 01-28-2015, 04:23 PM
dgreen1069
Road Master

Originally Posted by FinalShot
It's a pretty confusing upgrade with the limited info HD has published. Here's how it works based on my discussion with HD, dealers and research.

The phase II speakers each have two channels, the main driver and a tweeter/mid versus the original that was one channel with a driver and tweeter. The new II amps provide 75 watts to each tweeter/mid and woofer. Think of it as each speaker is now two speaker just mounted together. So, the wiring harnesses now changes the existing amps 4 channels to four speakers to power two speakers with two channels each.

You add the additional amp to the saddle bag to power the phase II speakers in the tour pak. Some of us think that we could mount the amp under the tour pak instead of inside the bags. The only question seems to be how weather resistant the amp is.
I think you are correct about the new speakers. I guess my question is, are a 2nd set of speaker wires run to each speaker location, or are the new speakers wired in series internally? I have to assume that only one set of speaker wires terminates at each location.....I've never seen a car audio system do otherwise.

If that is the case, is there a way the HD programming bridges the amp? If they bridged it to 150 watts x 2 channels, the actual speakers would get 75 watts each (which is what they advertise). I wish Harley had the answers online somewhere!

Best case scenario for me would be an under the tourpack mount. While I liked the look of the saddlebag mount, I dreaded the idea of cutting into the bags and either removing my carpeted liner or cutting into it.

Old 01-28-2015, 04:33 PM
captainron62
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I will offer my experience, take it for what it is worth. I just did a bit of research on adding some more sound to my 2014 FLHTK Limited or whatever they are currently called. After reading the reviews I found the boom system to be a decent upgrade, but maybe not the best bang for the buck or what I was looking for. Most folks said they noticed additional clarity, and some more thump, but not much more volume for the dollars paid. I had a good HD BOOM system that came factory on my 2012 CVO RK. It was great as far as sound, but the amp was mounted in the saddlebag and would occasionally stop working. I had to dealer twice and they said this happens sometimes as the amp heats up because of being so close to exhaust. I don't know if this is true or untrue. The root of the problem was never discovered. With that said the sound was good out of the saddlebag speakers and lower speakers.

For the Ultra I went with the J&M Rokker system. The reviews on it seemed to be on point for what I wanted. A lot more sound and a lot more clarity. That is where its at for me. The Rokker system is more money, but at the end of the day why nickel and dime at this point. I usually forget what I paid for something I like, but I do remember buying the same thing twice trying to save a buck.

I had the J&M system on my Road Glide and was very satisfied.

Old 01-28-2015, 04:43 PM
FinalShot
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Looking at the wiring harnesses online, it "looks" like HD combines 2 channels at the amp, sends 150 watts to each speaker and then the speaker splits it out for 75 watts each for the driver and tweeter. I am basing that on the picture here: http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...iring-speakers

Here's a quick drawing I made that I believe represents the Boom II versus Boom.

Name:  BoomIIVersusBoom.jpg
Views: 6213
Size:  66.7 KB

Old 01-28-2015, 04:50 PM
Candubrain
Road Captain
Received 148 Likes on 78 Posts

I was in the process of upgrading my 2014 K to the Stage I speakers and amp. The new Stage II and amp is about $400.00 more Cdn.

The Dealer only quoted one amp, HD #76000277A. Has he made a mistake or do I only need the one amp to power 4 speakers?

The earlier replies in this posting reads as if I do need 2 amps, but the HD website isn't clear either. The way I'm reading the website, you need the amp if you are powering Stage II rears, but don't need it for the fronts?

Also curious about the sound diff between Stage I and II.

I do realize there are better systems out there for less money, but I don't want to void any warranty......

Old 01-28-2015, 04:51 PM
Candubrain
Road Captain

posted at the same time as the diagram. The diagram explains it very well. Looks like a 2 amp set up....too rich for me

Old 01-28-2015, 04:56 PM
dgreen1069
Road Master

Originally Posted by Candubrain
I was in the process of upgrading my 2014 K to the Stage I speakers and amp. The new Stage II and amp is about $400.00 more Cdn.

The Dealer only quoted one amp, HD #76000277A. Has he made a mistake or do I only need the one amp to power 4 speakers?

The earlier replies in this posting reads as if I do need 2 amps, but the HD website isn't clear either. The way I'm reading the website, you need the amp if you are powering Stage II rears, but don't need it for the fronts?

Also curious about the sound diff between Stage I and II.

I do realize there are better systems out there for less money, but I don't want to void any warranty......
The stage I kit requires 1 amp while the stage II kit requires 2. If you have a CVO you already have 1 amp in the fairing....if you have an Ultra or Limited you don't have an amp and will need to buy 2 for the stage II.

Old 01-28-2015, 04:58 PM
dgreen1069
Road Master

Originally Posted by FinalShot
Looking at the wiring harnesses online, it "looks" like HD combines 2 channels at the amp, sends 150 watts to each speaker and then the speaker splits it out for 75 watts each for the driver and tweeter. I am basing that on the picture here: http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...iring-speakers
Thank you! I figured the speakers were simply run in series as your diagram illustrates. How does the CVO's stock amplifier's 4 speaker output get routed to just the front speakers?

Old 01-28-2015, 05:06 PM
Candubrain
Road Captain

Originally Posted by dgreen1069
The stage I kit requires 1 amp while the stage II kit requires 2. If you have a CVO you already have 1 amp in the fairing....if you have an Ultra or Limited you don't have an amp and will need to buy 2 for the stage II.
thanks for clearing this up

Quick Reply: Interested in the Boom Stage II audio, but have some questions.