Sponsored by:

Monster Oval help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 11:39 AM
TwisteDDevil
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monster Oval help!

I have a set of monster ovals on my ultra. Love the sound buy to me the noise just isn't all there. I ride in california and I feel the exhaust is also kind of a safety thing. What do you guys recommend as far as headers go to open up the decibles a bit, or will that even help at this point and should just go with a new exhaust all together. Thanks guys

Old 02-09-2015, 11:49 AM
472viper
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I installed a fuelmoto head pipe with Monster Ovals on a 2015 Ultra Classic. Being as I did this in December I have not been able to get more than about 30 miles on them but my impression is that, at idle, they are louder than I thought. At speed they are not as loud, but still louder than I thought they'd be. They growl real nice when I get on it.

But louder is subjective, what is loud to me may not be loud to you. But then I did work around jets for 35 years.

Old 02-09-2015, 12:05 PM
TwisteDDevil
6th Gear

Originally Posted by 472viper
I installed a fuelmoto head pipe with Monster Ovals on a 2015 Ultra Classic. Being as I did this in December I have not been able to get more than about 30 miles on them but my impression is that, at idle, they are louder than I thought. At speed they are not as loud, but still louder than I thought they'd be. They growl real nice when I get on it.

But louder is subjective, what is loud to me may not be loud to you. But then I did work around jets for 35 years.

Haha yes I got you there, I've been working on jets for almost 10 years. F18s specifically. So everything is quiet. But even then, the wife agrees these are just a bit to quiet. Love the sound but just quiet now. Did you try the mufflers by themselves or just did the full exhaust all at once?

Old 02-09-2015, 01:40 PM
Smittyjf
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by TwisteDDevil
Haha yes I got you there, I've been working on jets for almost 10 years. F18s specifically. So everything is quiet. But even then, the wife agrees these are just a bit to quiet. Love the sound but just quiet now. Did you try the mufflers by themselves or just did the full exhaust all at once?
I have them on my 14 limited with the V&H Power Dual Header (and a FM Powervision). I love that they growl nice when you get on it, but a nice grumble at crusing speeds for the radio.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:49 PM
dgdamore
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

A cat less header will make them louder.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:11 PM
nightrodjc
Intermediate

You can also take the packing out of them..

Old 02-10-2015, 08:19 PM
472viper
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TwisteDDevil

Naw I did the head pipe and the mufflers then had the dealer do SE air and dyno tune, so I never heard the Ovals without the head pipe.

I parked F18s on Transient Alert. Most of my time was F111, F4, A7 and F16. First jet I ever worked on was an 105 Wild Weasel. I may have still had baby teeth, LOL.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:18 AM
BezerkoBob
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

The monster ovals flow is incredible. Although the noise factor may not be what people desire. My advise would be to sell them and buy a louder slip on. You should be able to sell them for some good coin. Maybe even enough to cover the cost of new slip ons. I have had great success with Wild Pig slip ons. Check them out at www.wildpigpipes.com And NO, I am in no way affiliated with them.

Old 02-18-2015, 03:05 PM
30glock
Road Warrior
Received 334 Likes on 222 Posts

I thought I had this same Issue, bike didn't sound loud enough almost to quite.
I asked a friend to ride my bike past me at different speeds so I can hear them while I'm off the bike, and the rumbling sound as It passed me was amazing.

I also get lots of compliments when riding in groups everyone tells me the bike sounds awesome and really comes alive when I open that throttle.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:17 PM
MikeZ
Road Captain
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

The Monsters are fairly mellow, even with aftermarket headers. Try a set of Rush Big Louies with 3" baffles. Nice, deep rumble with stock headers. Or try Reinharts with new headers.

Quick Reply: Monster Oval help!