Sponsored by:

Iphone & Auto Generated Text Reply

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 10:04 AM
Vapor!
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Iphone & Auto Generated Text Reply

I know this is likely opening a can of worms, there will be people that will immediately start bashing about that we shouldn't be texting while riding (which I have never done, and never will do). The auto generated text reply is actually something to help us to not be distracted by text messages, and repeated text messages from others. They will receive an automatic reply so that they will know we can't text back right now. Hopefully we can get good helpful comments only, here is my question.

Question: Has anyone figured out how to get the auto generated text feature to work with iPhone? I have a 2014 Ultra Limited with infotainment, everything seems to work great except the auto generated text reply. I have messed with every setting, researched it, called my local dealer, and still no luck.

I'm guessing that I may just be screwed for now until Harley comes up with an update at some point to allow this feature to work. I don't know if it matters, but I have the iPhone 6plus with AT&T. I tried with it as it comes from Apple, and have even Jailbroken it, hoping that would allow it to work, but no luck.

Any help from anyone who has figured it out would be greatly appreciated, If you just want to whine about why we should be unavailable since the whole point is to ride and get away from it all, or if you didn't read the whole post and think i'm trying to be unsafe by texting while I ride, please just pass this thread by. I just want the features Harley told me I would have to actually work on a bike that I paid over $30,000.00 for.

Old 02-17-2015, 11:48 AM
Afdharley
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's not an HDS issue, it's an Apple issue. Apple does not play well with others

Old 02-17-2015, 12:37 PM
jdgresham
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Huh?

Originally Posted by Afdharley
It's not an HDS issue, it's an Apple issue. Apple does not play well with others

And you have evidence to back that statement?

Old 02-17-2015, 12:44 PM
TemplarX
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an iPhone and the same issue as mentioned above. IF there is a fix I'd be eager to hear it.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:12 PM
Afdharley
Road Master

Originally Posted by jdgresham
And you have evidence to back that statement?
Something I can quote or direct you to? No.

People with windows based phones don't have this issue. My iphone5 will receive texts while I'm riding and I can even read the ones I receive while riding. It will not allow me to respond to any or read older text messages.

If you or someone else knows a way around this please share.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:14 PM
Afdharley
Road Master

What you can do with an iPhone is use Siri to respond for you. If you have a head set connected you can use the voice command feature and read a text response to Siri and have it sent.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:15 PM
D4691
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know you can with the phone. Settings-phone under calls, respond with text. Not sure if it auto replys with text or you have to basically decline the call, then select the text response. (never used it)

I don't see an iOS solution for auto reply for texts. would be a nice feature to toggle on/off.

Old 02-17-2015, 02:12 PM
Kugie's HOG
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Afdharley
What you can do with an iPhone is use Siri to respond for you. If you have a head set connected you can use the voice command feature and read a text response to Siri and have it sent.

How do you do that? Please share. Thanks.

Old 02-17-2015, 03:45 PM
Afdharley
Road Master

Originally Posted by Kugie's HOG
How do you do that? Please share. Thanks.
To be fair I haven't tried this myself. Someone else posted it. If I find the thread I'll post a link. I will try this when the weather clears here, hopefully in the next couple of weeks.

Old 02-17-2015, 04:00 PM
hogcowboy
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

It used to work for me but I allowed the phone to upgrade to the latest operating system and it no longer works. I've looked to see if something got turned off and can't find a thing. But it seems like the previous version of OS would only allow one message. It now has space for three and I see no way to tell it which one to use. If the previous version also had three then there must have been a select feature or it just took the top one. I think it's still a Apple iPhone problem myself though.

Quick Reply: Iphone & Auto Generated Text Reply