Sponsored by:

FM Jackpot headers/ cam cover

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 08:15 PM
EdandGrace
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default FM Jackpot headers/ cam cover

Installed new head pipes on a 15 SG. After install the gap between pipe and cam cover was about a cm. After heat sync it was the same. Rode about 50 miles today and now the head pipe is touching the cam cover. Is this a big deal? Do I need to have a gap there? Everything is pretty tight. Checked tightness after heat sync and again today. If I need to create a new gap, suppose I can just loosen the heads and transmission bolt and re tighten or do I need to remove mufflers as well? Thanks for your response.

Old 03-13-2015, 08:48 PM
NWGlide
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, it shouldn't be touching. Is the lower mount tight? I would loosen it and the 4 exhaust flange nut a little and pull the bottom of the pipe out wards a bit. Then tighten the lower mount holding a little clearance. Come to think of it, you might just loosen the lower mount and see if you can pull the bottom of the pipe gently outward to gain clearance.

Old 03-15-2015, 06:06 PM
stubby001
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed mine Saturday (or attempted to) and mine is touching the cam cover. As a matter of fact I have permanently marked the chrome on the cam cover. I started a thread about it and the guys are telling me I must not have it seated in the ports. So I removed it today and started from scratch twice, and have been certain the front was in properly and I will have a very small gap (maybe a 1/16") but when I pull the rear to pop it in place the front will be touching the cam cover. I have about worn the ceramic coating off this thing messing with. VERY Frustrating! I don't care what they say it should not be that close of a fit to the cam cover IMO. One member said he shimmed his with cardboard tightened everything up then pulled the cardboard, that sounds like bull__ to have to do that. Good luck.

Old 03-15-2015, 08:58 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by stubby001
I installed mine Saturday (or attempted to) and mine is touching the cam cover. As a matter of fact I have permanently marked the chrome on the cam cover. I started a thread about it and the guys are telling me I must not have it seated in the ports. So I removed it today and started from scratch twice, and have been certain the front was in properly and I will have a very small gap (maybe a 1/16") but when I pull the rear to pop it in place the front will be touching the cam cover. I have about worn the ceramic coating off this thing messing with. VERY Frustrating! I don't care what they say it should not be that close of a fit to the cam cover IMO. One member said he shimmed his with cardboard tightened everything up then pulled the cardboard, that sounds like bull__ to have to do that. Good luck.
Where are you located? Are you anywhere near Biloxi, MS?

Old 03-15-2015, 09:14 PM
stubby001
Tourer

No Northern KY. Was in Biloxi MS last summer on my 07 Ultra. Should have kept it. Lol

Old 03-15-2015, 09:22 PM
ultraclassic53
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've heard good things about these pipes and would have bought a set Friday if they wouldn't have told me they were out and wouldn't have any till mid week. I'll see what they say but I'm leaning back to the Rush HO pipes.

Old 03-16-2015, 06:28 AM
timbo141
Road Warrior
Received 220 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by stubby001
Make sure the pipes lower mount is under the trans mount.
Put bolt in and put nut on, don't tighten, leave it loose.
Then torque rear lower then rear upper nuts to 15 inch pounds.
Then torque front lower then front upper nuts to 15 inch pounds.
Then torque the rear and front to 99 inch lbs.

Pipe shouldn't be touching cam cover, and all you should have to do is tighten it up. I didn't even move mine as I left it where it was and tightened it up. Fits great.

If yours is still touching cam cover I would take it back off and get new gaskets.

I hope this helps, good luck!

Old 03-16-2015, 09:34 AM
Limited2014
Intermediate

Originally Posted by EdandGrace
Installed new head pipes on a 15 SG. After install the gap between pipe and cam cover was about a cm. After heat sync it was the same. Rode about 50 miles today and now the head pipe is touching the cam cover. Is this a big deal? Do I need to have a gap there? Everything is pretty tight. Checked tightness after heat sync and again today. If I need to create a new gap, suppose I can just loosen the heads and transmission bolt and re tighten or do I need to remove mufflers as well? Thanks for your response.
I just installed the Jackpot stainless steel headers on my 2014 Limited this weekend and they fit fine. I did use the Screaming Eagle exhuast gaskets.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:20 AM
stubby001
Tourer

I got mine on! I was real close to sending it back (I had return authorization from Brian @ Fuel Moto, Waved the 30 day return, outstanding customer service) and I thought I'm going to try it one more time. I ended up cutting a slot in a washer and using it to shim between trans bracket and mount on header, and sticking a 1/16 plastic shim between header and cam cover. Tightened every thing up pulled the plastic shim and had 1/16 gap @ cam cover. Installed crossover, mufflers, and heat shields. Started it up and did one heat cycle, and didn't seem to have any leaks. It was time for a glass of Makers 46!

Old 03-22-2015, 09:10 AM
timbo141
Road Warrior
Received 220 Likes on 158 Posts

Congrats!
Now you can enjoy your "cooler" ride.

Quick Reply: FM Jackpot headers/ cam cover