Sponsored by:

Manual method to turn on radiator fans

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 08:17 PM
Iwanna
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual method to turn on radiator fans

I have a 2015 Limited and have been told that there is a manual way to get the radiator fans to kick on. I can not find it in the owners manual.

I would appreciate any input, besides over heating the motor.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:29 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 574 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by Iwanna
I have a 2015 Limited and have been told that there is a manual way to get the radiator fans to kick on. I can not find it in the owners manual.

No way to do it when the engine is running. When the engine is shut off, they can be toggled on in the first few seconds using the throttle.

Old 04-15-2015, 06:21 AM
Cobra1
Road Warrior

Received 1,289 Likes on 523 Posts

Turn ignition to on, do not start engine. Twist throttle to full on and hold. Fans and pump will start and run continuously until ignition is turned off. This is how you bleed air out of the coolant system when changing coolant. Enjoy

Old 04-15-2015, 06:25 AM
Cummins man
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hammz
No way to do it when the engine is running. When the engine is shut off, they can be toggled on in the first few seconds using the throttle.
Shut the bike down with the kill switch, leave the ignition switch on and twist the throttle about half way. It works on the 14. Hope that helps.

The following users liked this post:
cwickgo9 (08-14-2017)
Old 04-15-2015, 07:37 AM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 197 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Iwanna

??? My fans kick on by themselves when needed. Any number of times they have kicked on moments after I've shut the bike off.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:23 AM
Kevinch
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

..my HDForums tutorial for the day....!!

Old 05-24-2015, 03:16 PM
seabee_biker
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Will this feature only work after the bike has been running? For example, should this work if the bike is cool, sitting in my garage? I only ask because it doesn't work for me this way. I can't find this in my service manual either, but I will keep looking.

Old 05-24-2015, 04:38 PM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by seabee_biker
Will this feature only work after the bike has been running? For example, should this work if the bike is cool, sitting in my garage? I only ask because it doesn't work for me this way. I can't find this in my service manual either, but I will keep looking.
You should be able to power up the fans and water pump when the bike is cool and has been sitting around by following the process already mentioned. If you can't, then either you're not doing it correctly or something isn't working, which should be covered by your warranty. I don't have my service manual handy, but I recall reading how to activate the fans and pump to bleed the system somewhere in that manual.

Old 05-24-2015, 04:46 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts

That is how you purge the cooling system if fluid is added due to no fluid in the reservoir, whenever fans turn on the electric pump also starts cycling the fluid.

Old 05-24-2015, 07:25 PM
seabee_biker
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Brewmany
You should be able to power up the fans and water pump when the bike is cool and has been sitting around by following the process already mentioned. If you can't, then either you're not doing it correctly or something isn't working, which should be covered by your warranty. I don't have my service manual handy, but I recall reading how to activate the fans and pump to bleed the system somewhere in that manual.
There must be something wrong then. I've done this several times before with no issues. the bike was hot though, that's why I wondered if it has to happen right after shut off. Now I'm wondering if the flash from my Power Vision did something because after I flashed the ecm my EITMS was disabled too. I checked the cooling system fuse and it's fine. Everything else that's common sense to me seems good. Guess I'm making a trip to the dealer.

Quick Reply: Manual method to turn on radiator fans