Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Audio on Intercom or CB but INT and CB Indicators Light Up

Old 04-22-2015, 10:43 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 155 Posts
Angry No Audio on Intercom or CB but INT and CB Indicators Light Up

Hopefully someone can help. It appears that this system has it's share of problems (DUH!), but I can't find this particular problem anywhere on the forum . . . . so maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Bike is a 2015 Limited with the 6.5 Boom System.

Situation: With either the Intercom only, the CB only or with both turned ON there is no audio for the CB or the Intercom. But there is Audio through the Headsets and/or the Speakers for the Radio/Stereo. Also the Radio Audio Mutes if you speak into the Microphone when on the Intercom or use the PTT switch with the CB turned On.

What's Happening with the Intercom: Talking into either the Rider or the Passenger Microphone illuminates the "INT" Light/Icon on the display and the Radio/Stereo Mutes . . . but what is being said into either Microphone is NOT getting to the speakers with either the Headset or the Bike Speakers selected.

With the CB On: If I "Push To Talk" the Audio is transmitted from the Harley to another CB Radio (that I have) just fine. When I key the Microphone on the other CB the Harley mutes the Radio/Stereo and the CB Light/Icon turns on but no audio arrives with either the Headset or the Bike Speakers selected. Running the Squelch up and down seems to work, but then again I'm not getting anything but the background static that is common when the Squelch is turned down to far on any CB.

Running Volume and/or the VOX settings up and down has no effect other than raising and lowering the Radio volume.

Software Update/Version is 1.18.3

Last edited by Bluehighways; 04-22-2015 at 10:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
LMCI-Enforcer (09-11-2019)
Old 04-22-2015, 11:16 PM
RG Pilot
Road Warrior
Received 273 Likes on 202 Posts

In order to turn the volume up on INT and CB, those functions need to be active while turning up the volume with your left side toggle. While receiving a transmission over the CB, turn the volume up then. If no transmission is coming in, turn your squelch all the way down so you're breaking squelch and you hear static...then the volume switch will be active on the CB side. Same with Intercom. If nobody is available to talk into the passenger side mike for you, turn the VOX to the highest sensitivity and VOX will break (you'll get the indicator icon) and then Intercom will be active and then turn the volume up. Are you getting side tone when you speak through the CB? Mine used to have louder side tone but the newest update decreased the side tone volume. (side tone is when you hear yourself transmitting through your headset speakers to let you know you're broadcasting)

Last edited by RG Pilot; 04-22-2015 at 11:19 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:35 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by '14 Limited
In order to turn the volume up on INT and CB, those functions need to be active while turning up the volume with your left side toggle. While receiving a transmission over the CB, turn the volume up then. If no transmission is coming in, turn your squelch all the way down so you're breaking squelch and you hear static...then the volume switch will be active on the CB side. Same with Intercom. If nobody is available to talk into the passenger side mike for you, turn the VOX to the highest sensitivity and VOX will break (you'll get the indicator icon) and then Intercom will be active and then turn the volume up. Are you getting side tone when you speak through the CB? Mine used to have louder side tone but the newest update decreased the side tone volume. (side tone is when you hear yourself transmitting through your headset speakers to let you know you're broadcasting)

Thanks 14' Limited . . . the volume is turned up on each. Wish it was that . . .

Old 04-23-2015, 07:01 AM
Copyless
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You also have to go in and turn on the speakers for that option that you want the speakers on for. Where the older models had the dash switch that you could choose where to have the sound come out, the newer bikes just have the option in the set up, so you must have headset selected and do not have the speakers selected.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:32 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

Received 324 Likes on 222 Posts

I think it's the volume as stated above. It is kind of tricky on these new models for example your gps prompts the only time you can turn the volume up or down is when you are getting a prompt otherwise you just turn the radio volume.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:32 AM
dgreen1069
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
Hopefully someone can help. It appears that this system has it's share of problems (DUH!), but I can't find this particular problem anywhere on the forum . . . . so maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Situation: With either the Intercom only, the CB only or with both turned ON there is no audio for the CB or the Intercom. But there is Audio through the Headsets and/or the Speakers for the Radio/Stereo. Also the Radio Audio Mutes if you speak into the Microphone when on the Intercom or use the PTT switch with the CB turned On.

What's Happening with the Intercom: Talking into either the Rider or the Passenger Microphone illuminates the "INT" Light/Icon on the display and the Radio/Stereo Mutes . . . but what is being said into either Microphone is NOT getting to the speakers with either the Headset or the Bike Speakers selected.

With the CB On: If I "Push To Talk" the Audio is transmitted from the Harley to another CB Radio (that I have) just fine. When I key the Microphone on the other CB the Harley mutes the Radio/Stereo and the CB Light/Icon turns on but no audio arrives with either the Headset or the Bike Speakers selected. Running the Squelch up and down seems to work, but then again I'm not getting anything but the background static that is common when the Squelch is turned down to far on any CB.

Running Volume and/or the VOX settings up and down has no effect other than raising and lowering the Radio volume.

Have you ever tried to make or receive a phone call from your headset? If not, give this a try.

1. Link your phone via bluetooth to the Boom system.
2. Either make a call or take an incoming call on the bike.
3. While the call is in progress, use the volume button to toggle your volume high enough to hear it. You can do the same with the passenger set as both the rider and passenger can hear and talk during phone calls.
4. See if your CB and intercoms work after raising the volumes for both headsets.

As others have said, you have to be in the middle of using those items to adjust the headset volume. A pop up with the volume level for both headsets will be on the screen when they are adjustable.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:07 AM
Copyless
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I misread the post, I for some reason thought it said he had volume from the CB and Intercom with the headset but not the speakers, so just forget my reply about selecting the speakers.

As mentioned by the others, the volume must be turned down.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:11 AM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 574 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways

To set the volume for CB receive audio, from HOME, select COM, then select CB. Upper left of screen shows if CB is ON. Use your volume control to adjust volume up. You will see either one volume bar on screen (if speakers are selected) or 2 volume bars, labeled F & R (if headsets is selected). You'll need to adjust the volume bar(s) to about 3/4 of the way up to maybe 2 segments unlit to get the volume you'll need to hear the CB signal when riding.

Do the same for the Intercom. Here you'll want to make sure you have output directed to headsets. Front button on right side TP speaker pod is used to adjust the passenger headset volume up or down.

This adjustment method gives a visual feedback of that radio function's volume setting. Trying to make these volume adjustments w/o being in dedicated function can be hit/miss spotty at best.

Last edited by Hammz; 04-30-2015 at 11:31 PM.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:22 PM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior
Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Also note that on the latest firmware update, when talking on the CB the music will be muted but you won't be able to hear yourself in your speakers while you are transmitting. They fixed that in 1.81.2 but lost it again in 1.18.3. LOL

Old 04-24-2015, 12:25 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member

Fixed it! Thank you to everyone who responded!

I did two things . . . so I'm not entirely sure which one of the two repaired it. I first did a "Pre-Calibration Reset" (see below) and then re-flashed the 1.18.3 OS even though I'd already done that previously.

The "Pre-Calibration Reset" procedure has been posted elsewhere on another thread (Thank You so very much!!!) but for anyone reading this thread I'll reprint it below:

==================== / / / / / ====================

1. Turn IGN OFF. Wait 15 seconds.

2. Press and hold power/mute button while Turning the Ignition to the ACC position.

3. Continue pressing power button, and keep it pressed until at least 2 seconds after the WARNING screen is displayed.

4. Release power/mute button and "Accept" the WARNING.

5.) The service menu may display "Diag Service not Available" when a menu option is initially selected. This message will clear once the system has finished performing the power-on process.

The Options you will be given following the Power-On are listed below. They are shown 3 at a time. You can scroll to see all of them.
  • DTCs, (Diagnostic Trouble Codes)
  • Audio,
  • Display,
  • Key input,
  • Component menus,
  • Version info,
  • Reset,
  • Touchscreen.
6.) Select the "Reset" Option and you will now be given 3 "Reset" Choices:
Reset Option #1.) "Pre-Calibration Reset":
  • This Option restores the factory default settings.
  • This Option is recommended when there are radio symptoms and no DTCs.
Reset Option #2.) "Post Calibration Save":
  • Archives customer’s settings so that they can be restored after a Post calibration Reset.
Reset Option #3.) "Post Calibration Reset":
  • Resets the radio to factory default settings and restores the last archive data stored during Post calibration Save.

Last edited by Bluehighways; 04-24-2015 at 12:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Gordon (03-25-2016)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No Audio on Intercom or CB but INT and CB Indicators Light Up