Sponsored by:

Ethanol fuel/tuning question

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 01:15 AM
ILLADELPHFATBOY
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Ethanol fuel/tuning question

2015 SGS: Dealership installed my tuner, pipes, and heavy breather. They then gave me the canned stage 1 map and flashed the bike, then told me to break er in for 1,000 miles and bring it back for the dyno tune and fluids change. So i'm riding this thing around and it's running pretty hot and tends to pop through exhaust a bit under heavier acceleration. The tuner is a SEPST, and I'm rather certain that popping under acceleration is no good and generally means a leaned out condition.

So I hook the bike up to the laptop to look over the map and any other information I can gather about what was/was not done with this "base tune" the dealer gave me. The map was correct 617SEB204 and updated, but I did notice they had the fuel list box checked off as STOICH for straight gasoline, when there is an option for 10% ethanol blend. Well in my area, its ALL at least 10% ethanol blend fuel. So I switched it to such and re-flashed the bike. Doing this switched the AFR table from mostly 14.6 in the "hotter" ranges of operation, to 14.1 or lower through out those same ranges. I figured that would richen her up a bit and help the bike run a bit cooler. I then test rode her and she ran better IMO. More responsive, defintely less heat soak, sounded better and hardly any popping under hard acceleration...BUT it seems to smell much more "fumey" now. I'd assume it's probably a bit too rich now, right?

Should I have done what I did, and was there any particular reason why they set my base tune to run straight gasoline, or was it an over sight on their behalf? I mean hell, if you are running ethanol blend fuel, you check off that box as such, no?

Old 05-24-2015, 07:45 AM
Harttoo
Road Master

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts

Setting to ethanol fuel makes no difference.I think, if You look at Your AFR table,You will see that You are running at about 14.4.You will need to run some smart tunes and adjust Your AFR table to a lower value.Like 14.0 if You want to stay in closed loop.