Ultra hidden antenna 2014

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 11:13 AM
ERICKSON
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultra hidden antenna 2014

Hidden antenna issue resolved.

Thought I would pass this on and save some of you the hassle I went through.

I wanted to ride without tour pak when wife wasn't with me, so once its removed you have on AM?FM antenna, so now what?

I started with the Harley powered hidden in the fairing. Poor to no reception. Bought a second hidden antenna J&M. Reception just a little better than Harley, but stations faded in and out riding around town. Bought a third antenna to go in the fairing. this time I bought a power amplified antenna with ground wire. Better yet than the J&M but still losing station in town. Forget and radio stations once i was out in the country cruising. Could not pick up any signal strong enough to keep.

I found the solution this week. I disassembled the tour pak and removed the Fakra radio antenna cable and the mounting hardware for the screw on antenna from the tour pak. I then assembled the hardware along with the ground wire the way it came apart except not on the tour pak. This gave me a three foot cable with the factory flex whip antenna and a ground wire near where the antenna screwed on. I rolled up the cable and slid the antenna up under the gas tank Then zipped tie it all neatly under the seat. The ground wire I ran to the left side rear crash bar that mounts to the frame next to the electronics under the seat. I soldered a 3/8 eyelet onto it and it is grounded to the frame. Make sure you leave enough cable to reattach your light and speaker harness when you want to remount the tour pac. I now get all the local stations and no reception fading in and out. I hope this helps all you people looking for a hidden antenna that actually works. Best part is it was free. I spent over a hundred dollars on other antenna's and they all failed.

Last edited by ERICKSON; 05-29-2015 at 11:16 AM.
Old 05-29-2015, 01:28 PM
bradsULtd
HDF Community Team
Received 484 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by JOHNERICKSON
Hidden antenna issue resolved.

Thought I would pass this on and save some of you the hassle I went through.

I wanted to ride without tour pak when wife wasn't with me, so once its removed you have on AM?FM antenna, so now what?

I started with the Harley powered hidden in the fairing. Poor to no reception. Bought a second hidden antenna J&M. Reception just a little better than Harley, but stations faded in and out riding around town. Bought a third antenna to go in the fairing. this time I bought a power amplified antenna with ground wire. Better yet than the J&M but still losing station in town. Forget and radio stations once i was out in the country cruising. Could not pick up any signal strong enough to keep.

I found the solution this week. I disassembled the tour pak and removed the Fakra radio antenna cable and the mounting hardware for the screw on antenna from the tour pak. I then assembled the hardware along with the ground wire the way it came apart except not on the tour pak. This gave me a three foot cable with the factory flex whip antenna and a ground wire near where the antenna screwed on. I rolled up the cable and slid the antenna up under the gas tank Then zipped tie it all neatly under the seat. The ground wire I ran to the left side rear crash bar that mounts to the frame next to the electronics under the seat. I soldered a 3/8 eyelet onto it and it is grounded to the frame. Make sure you leave enough cable to reattach your light and speaker harness when you want to remount the tour pac. I now get all the local stations and no reception fading in and out. I hope this helps all you people looking for a hidden antenna that actually works. Best part is it was free. I spent over a hundred dollars on other antenna's and they all failed.
Do you understand why, from an electrical (RF) standpoint, this modified (horizontal vs. original vertical) antenna mounting scheme worked?

Was the antenna not grounded properly as originally mounted?

Old 05-29-2015, 02:12 PM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 197 Likes on 167 Posts

This has been done by several of us with the Street Glide antenna setup for the exact same reason. Now that I have a Limited, no issue.