Sponsored by:

Pikes Peak

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 01:33 PM
plongson
Road Master
Received 326 Likes on 151 Posts
Default Pikes Peak

Got back from running around Colorado, did Rocky Mountain NP, stayed in Boulder, went to the Coors brewery and up Pikes Peak (14,110') and a bunch more stuff. The FLHTK fully loaded and 2 up had no problems what so ever and ran like a dang champ. 1800 miles, stop and go, >80mph runs for hours and anything we threw at it and never missed a beat. Never used a drop of oil and never heated up or lost any coolant.

Stayed in dumps and dives and one night at the 5 star Broadmoor in Colorado Springs pulling right up to the front and the bell boys taking my luggage...LOL

Real fun trip but there are LOTS of people on the Front Range.

Here is a picture of the Infotainment altimeter giving up on feet and going to MILES on Pikes Peak...

Top of the peak...

Old 06-23-2015, 03:15 PM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior
Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Happy to hear you had a great trip!

My wife and I always have a lot of fun in Colorado. Last summer was our first trip on a Rushmore FLHTK and it was much better. No pinging, always plenty of power, etc..

If you get a chance, ride up Mount Evans. It is the tallest peak in North America that you can ride up to. It isn't much higher than Pikes Peak but the views from up top are a ton better.

We also like to ride the Pikes Peak HOG Chapter 5-in-1 High Altitude Poker Run. It is five 10,000' or higher passes in one day, then they have a kick *** party and give away a bunch of stuff. Each year has different passes.

Old 06-23-2015, 04:46 PM
DC2009EGUC
Road Captain
Received 79 Likes on 43 Posts

Was there too back in August 2012 on way to Sturgis, wow 2.6 miles elevation, no wonder my 09 Ultra was having a tough time making the climb, I'd love to make that same trip on my Rushmore Limited one of these days...have fun, ride safe, and thanks for sharing...

Old 06-23-2015, 06:10 PM
Sunnyday91360
Road Captain
Received 91 Likes on 58 Posts

Broadmoor on a Harley, I can just see that now, LOL. Even better would be Sunday brunch on their Lakeside Terrace in Harley leathers, chaps, vest, jacket. Did you? If not you should have. We golf there now and then, a very nice hotel indeed and course. RUSHMORE AT THE BROADMOOR why not!

Old 06-23-2015, 07:03 PM
RickLB
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Glad y'all had a great trip! I was stationed at Ft Carson and loved the area especially Pikes Peak!

Old 06-23-2015, 08:08 PM
plongson
Road Master
Received 326 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunnyday91360
Broadmoor on a Harley, I can just see that now, LOL. Even better would be Sunday brunch on their Lakeside Terrace in Harley leathers, chaps, vest, jacket. Did you? If not you should have. We golf there now and then, a very nice hotel indeed and course. RUSHMORE AT THE BROADMOOR why not!
HaHa...ya, it was a kick in the ***, to say the least. Rolled up under the porte cochere, frigg'n MB's, Rolls, even a Bently sitting there. And in rumbles one of those damn HARLEY's. We got looks from everyone from the bell boys to high roll'n patrons like I had a horn coming out'a my head. The Valet kid says..."We're not allowed to park your Harley"...I says...(kidding) What the hell?? So I just parked it myself. Still flipped'm a $20. WTF...

We missed the Sunday brunch, it was Father's day and was totally booked.

Anyway, the Broadmoor is really, I mean...REALLY, 4 Seasons or Ritz Carlton nice. It was a great getaway for me and mama...

The View on our Deck

The Room

Old 06-23-2015, 08:15 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Yup, getting pretty crowded here. You locked the gate on the way out, right?

Old 06-23-2015, 08:24 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

Great ride. Happy to hear that the Rushmore Limited does so well at altitude. Heading out on a long ride myself in a couple weeks, heading to Canada. Riding a ferry over to B.C. Canada.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:17 PM
starbiker99
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We live only 60 miles from the Broadmoor. Never thought of staying there but maybe I should take the wife there sometime. Looks like you had an awesome trip. Living here in CO we take those rides for granted. We get to do them a few times a year.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:22 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by MilesOfTexas
Happy to hear you had a great trip!

My wife and I always have a lot of fun in Colorado. Last summer was our first trip on a Rushmore FLHTK and it was much better. No pinging, always plenty of power, etc..

If you get a chance, ride up Mount Evans. It is the tallest peak in North America that you can ride up to. It isn't much higher than Pikes Peak but the views from up top are a ton better.

We also like to ride the Pikes Peak HOG Chapter 5-in-1 High Altitude Poker Run. It is five 10,000' or higher passes in one day, then they have a kick *** party and give away a bunch of stuff. Each year has different passes.
I think the top of Evens is closed until late July because they lost half of the road over the winter : http://denver.cbslocal.com/2015/06/2...nt-evans-road/

I'm doing a ride this Saturday - we're hitting Pikes Peak, then Mt Evans (as far as we can get) then Trail Ridge rd in Estes Park...500 miles.

Quick Reply: Pikes Peak