Sponsored by:

Harley/(CNA) Extended Service Plan vs Zurich

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 03:03 PM
Dago_RoadKing
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harley/(CNA) Extended Service Plan vs Zurich

I purchased an Ultra Limited from a local dealer a few weeks ago. I was unknowingly sold a Zurich Service Contract. I somehow assumed that Harley changed the underwriter of its Service Contracts since it was 8 years since my last HD purchase. On my previous bikes I have had HD Contracts. Aside from the debate contract vs no contract, which is more preferable? My concern with Zurich is being out in the middle of nowhere and some dealer not accepting it because of lack of familiarity. Any experiences with this? My dealer is willing to make things right if I choose to change to an HD (CNA) Extended Service Plan

Old 06-29-2015, 07:17 PM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,696 Likes on 1,029 Posts

In my opinion, you should stick with the Harley Serviced contract.

First, for most others like this, the originating dealer must do the work. Of, if away on a trip, they have to call your dealer for approval to work on the bike.

Finally, google this carrier - looks like there are some problems.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:48 PM
riderideride
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Go with the HD. It will be a far more seamless experience for you.

Factory warranty, Dealers are usually self authorized to make repair. They are trusted by the factory to make a proper diagnostics and repair. Aftermarket warranty, Dealers will need to call in for authorization. Also, if repair is over a certain dollar amount, they will send an inspector out to verify coverage.

Factory warranty has a trusted way for repair to be paid for, so Dealer will release without worry of payment. Aftermarket warranty every penny (parts and labor charges) of repair needs to be accounted for before bike released. Factory warranty, it's usually a matter of finishing repair, release vehicle, behind the scenes figure out the accounting later. Aftermarket, Dealer will need to get credit card payment from warranty company before releasing vehicle. Adds another step, so more time, and if late in day, maybe they wont release bike until next day after payment received.

Exceptions to all this might be if you have repaired at selling Dealer. They likely can repair without calling in, but that limits your options for repair facility.

Last edited by riderideride; 06-29-2015 at 08:52 PM.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:20 AM
30glock
Road Warrior
Received 334 Likes on 222 Posts

Glad to hear they will make it right, however this should have been disclosed at time of purchase.

Old 06-30-2015, 04:48 AM
jpalm
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm currently going through the shopping process for ESPs and have been going back and forth trying to decide between HD and third party. One of the concerns I had was that with a third party company the dealer actually has to phone in for approval, payment, etc. I spoke with a friend of mine who's a service writer at a HD dealership and he said that no matter which company you go with, they always have to do the same thing. He said that, in his experience, JM&A is actually the best company to deal with - even better than HDs ESP - and they pretty much never give them any hassle over a claim. The funny thing is that they have really crappy reviews online.

The simple fact of the matter is that all of the warranty companies are third party. HD chose CNA because they get the best deal through them, allowing for a greater profit. Nothing more, nothing less. I just got a quote from a website called wholesalewarranties.com. They're a broker that quoted me $899 for 5 years, and $1,049 for 6 years through a company called Portfolio. Both the broker and ESP provider have A+ ratings through BBB. It is supposed to cover all of the originally covered components, as well as seals and gaskets, with a $100 deductible. You can tailor the plan and make adjustments to the deductible, coverage levels, etc. My dealer wanted over $3,000 for an additional 5 years. I didn't pay anywhere near that much for an 8 year warranty on my wife's $41,000 minivan with every conceivable airbag, sensor and safety device on the planet.

The only problem with Portfolio is that you can't "pre-buy" the ESP. It has to start from the day you purchase it. Unless you want to waste money, you need to wait until your factory warranty expires.

And before anyone accuses me of pimping for any companies, look at my previous posts on the subject. I've been checking into this for a while now trying to make a decision and have no loyalty to any one company, just trying to find a good deal with a reliable company.

Old 06-30-2015, 04:50 AM
jpalm
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

In case anyone is interested, here's the sample Portfolio contract they sent me.

Attached Files
Old 06-30-2015, 12:40 PM
Recon4
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Good info. Thanks. Let us know what you actually do. I've got another year on my factory warranty but considering a ESP when it expries.

Old 06-30-2015, 12:59 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,284 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by Dago_RoadKing
I purchased an Ultra Limited from a local dealer a few weeks ago. I was unknowingly sold a Zurich Service Contract. I somehow assumed that Harley changed the underwriter of its Service Contracts since it was 8 years since my last HD purchase. On my previous bikes I have had HD Contracts. Aside from the debate contract vs no contract, which is more preferable? My concern with Zurich is being out in the middle of nowhere and some dealer not accepting it because of lack of familiarity. Any experiences with this? My dealer is willing to make things right if I choose to change to an HD (CNA) Extended Service Plan

I like the Harley ESP. You do not have to buy the warranty from the dealer you buy the bike from. I shop around and a few months ago bought a 7 yr with tire and wheel from:
Scot Dormier
Emerald City HD Lynwood, WA
425 921 1100
Worth a call to compare prices

Good Luck

Old 06-30-2015, 02:04 PM
riderideride
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jpalm
..."service writer at a HD dealership"..."said that, in his experience, JM&A is actually the best company to deal with - even better than HDs ESP - and they pretty much never give them any hassle over a claim." ...
Is JM&A also the same warranty that his Dealer sells? If so, makes sense.

When Dealer sells aftermarket warranty, the program is often similar to being self insured.

Last edited by riderideride; 06-30-2015 at 02:07 PM.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:31 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

I am also struggling with the whole service contract thing. Knowing that service contracts are one of the top profit centers. Odds are the consumer will collect fewer benefits than the policy cost.

Knowing this, I am struggling over buying. If I do I would only buy the policy offered by Harley.