Sponsored by:

Stereo headphone solution for 2014 FLHTK

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 04:24 PM
john31224
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Stereo headphone solution for 2014 FLHTK

This is a no-name Bluetooth headphone/FM mic solution for those who don’t wish to plug into their bikes. I use a Bluetooth transmitter to connect to my headphones and a
FM mic to transmit my voice back to Boom!. The audio signal to the headphones is 100% stereo all of the time.

The Bluetooth transmitter (headphones) and the FM receiver (mic) are both inside the glove box (plus my 32gb USB stick). They are connected via audio extension cables which run from the glove box along the backbone under the gas tank to the area under the seat where they connect to the gas tank console's 7 pin connector via an adapter. I set all audio routing to the Headphones and then paired the Bluetooth transmitter with my Bluetooth headphones. The Boom! operates as though I am running a wired setup. My lapel mic is wired to the FM transmitter which I have in my jacket pocket so it is not 100% wireless but I do not need to unclip anything before dismounting my bike. For the most part I do not bother wearing the mic.

You can do this for as little as $100 not including Bluetooth headphones which would add another $50 plus depending on what brand you go with. I use Backbeat 903+ headphones which are still available on eBay. Your Bluetooth headphones only need to support the A2DP protocol which they all do. This solution does not need a specific brand for any component, nor does it require any modifications via Digi Tech.

My main objective was to listen to stereo music and get Navi prompts via my Bluetooth headphones. I have my Samsung S5 phone connected to Boom! via Bluetooth so I can listen to music from either the phone, the USB stick or the Boom! radio.

I went with the FM mic to replicate all the wired voice functionality. The volume level to my headphones is controlled by the left-hand joystick. I can quickly remove the BT transmitter, FM receiver and USB stick from the glove box if I so desire.

I have not taken phone calls or tested voice functionality at highway speeds but I will endeavour to do so and post my findings back to this thread.

Last edited by john31224; 07-01-2015 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Will update after further testing
Old 07-01-2015, 12:40 AM
58sniper
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you asking a question, or making a statement?

Old 07-01-2015, 09:32 AM
Yukon42
Road Captain
Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by 58sniper
Looks like he needs to do some more testing before he posts the link, per his edit notes.

Old 07-01-2015, 12:20 PM
john31224
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 58sniper
Sorry about that. I was altering my post and would have deleted it if I could have figured out how to.

Old 07-01-2015, 01:41 PM
Roadglide33
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by john31224
This is a no-name Bluetooth headphone/FM mic solution for those who don’t wish to plug into their bikes. I use a Bluetooth transmitter to connect to my headphones and a
FM mic to transmit my voice back to Boom!. The audio signal to the headphones is 100% stereo all of the time.

The Bluetooth transmitter (headphones) and the FM receiver (mic) are both inside the glove box (plus my 32gb USB stick). They are connected via audio extension cables which run from the glove box along the backbone under the gas tank to the area under the seat where they connect to the gas tank console's 7 pin connector via an adapter. I set all audio routing to the Headphones and then paired the Bluetooth transmitter with my Bluetooth headphones. The Boom! operates as though I am running a wired setup. My lapel mic is wired to the FM transmitter which I have in my jacket pocket so it is not 100% wireless but I do not need to unclip anything before dismounting my bike. For the most part I do not bother wearing the mic.

You can do this for as little as $100 not including Bluetooth headphones which would add another $50 plus depending on what brand you go with. I use Backbeat 903+ headphones which are still available on eBay. Your Bluetooth headphones only need to support the A2DP protocol which they all do. This solution does not need a specific brand for any component, nor does it require any modifications via Digi Tech.

My main objective was to listen to stereo music and get Navi prompts via my Bluetooth headphones. I have my Samsung S5 phone connected to Boom! via Bluetooth so I can listen to music from either the phone, the USB stick or the Boom! radio.

I went with the FM mic to replicate all the wired voice functionality. The volume level to my headphones is controlled by the left-hand joystick. I can quickly remove the BT transmitter, FM receiver and USB stick from the glove box if I so desire.

I have not taken phone calls or tested voice functionality at highway speeds but I will endeavour to do so and post my findings back to this thread.
Very interesting, look forward to hearing more about this setup...

Old 07-02-2015, 07:51 AM
babygorilla
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 6 Posts

Very interested. Been researching a similar solution myself. I was thinking of running only stereo bluetooth headphones into helmet for music via connecting a bluetooth transmitter, 7pin to 3.5MM adapter, into the HD 7 pin set-up and running the 7 pin inot the back of the glove box then stuffing the transmitter in there. I was also going to add in a USB charging port connected to the lighter socket (which I don't use) to run the transmitter off of.

Something like this