Sponsored by:

RG headlight question

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 12:55 PM
Afdharley
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RG headlight question

Have had mine since December and have not done a lot of night time riding. Not that I'm avoiding it, just seemed to work out that way.

On the hi way at night it seems fine, the issue is on the twisty back roads with lots of tree cover and no street lights. It's aimed too low for starters, so first order is to adjust that. If this doesn't fix it then a set of driving lights will be in my future.

So question is if yours is adjusted correctly are you happy with the light it puts out? Or not?

Old 07-06-2015, 07:11 AM
Cummins_Bred
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put the reflector style daymaker (same as yours) on my '15 SGS, and I love the output now that it is aimed properly, but it still leaves me kinda in the dark in the curves. Just kinda the nature of any light with a cutoff you put on a vehicle that leans. Passing lamps are the route i'm going to go to try to cure that

Old 07-06-2015, 09:52 AM
Afdharley
Road Master

Thanks for the info.

High beam is pretty darn good right now, I have to admit even tho it's all aimed too low.

Anyway, I'll see if it gets better after adjustment mid not, then I'll be shopping for extra lights.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:09 AM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 576 Likes on 417 Posts

Batwing & Sharknose don't use same lighting guys. Comparing apples to oranges...

Old 07-06-2015, 02:02 PM
Cummins_Bred
Tourer

Originally Posted by Hammz
Batwing & Sharknose don't use same lighting guys. Comparing apples to oranges...
He has stock LED reflector lights. I installed the HD reflector LED light on my SGS. It's so close to apples to apples it doesn't make a ton of difference. He has two smaller lights, I have the one bigger one. But they both have a flat cutoff in the main light output so both are dark in the curves at night. It's just the way these LED lights are. My projector I put on my old softail did the same thing

Old 07-06-2015, 02:10 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 576 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by Cummins_Bred
He has stock LED reflector lights. I installed the HD reflector LED light on my SGS. It's so close to apples to apples it doesn't make a ton of difference. He has two smaller lights, I have the one bigger one. But they both have a flat cutoff in the main light output so both are dark in the curves at night. It's just the way these LED lights are. My projector I put on my old softail did the same thing
OK. My bad. Figured with dual headlights, more room for adjustment to allow wider lighting pattern than a single headlight.

Old 07-07-2015, 06:58 AM
Cummins_Bred
Tourer

Originally Posted by Hammz
OK. My bad. Figured with dual headlights, more room for adjustment to allow wider lighting pattern than a single headlight.
I haven't taken one apart myself, but i'm about 99% sure its just one housing with 2 lights inside on a RGS. Probably to keep costs down.

Last edited by Cummins_Bred; 07-07-2015 at 06:59 AM. Reason: clarify
Old 07-08-2015, 09:57 AM
Afdharley
Road Master

Ok finally got time to adjust this thing.

Found a dark twisty road last night and took my 6mm Allen wrench. Made a few passes and adjusted until I was happy. Doesn't clip off in the corners nearly as bad as before and no one flashed me while on low beam. I'll keep the wrench handy for a while to tweak it a bit.

Really surprised at the amount of turns before I got any real results. 15-20+!?! Beginning to wonder what the service department did for PDI. No air in shocks and light aimed at the fender. Maybe I should ask for a refund. Lol

Old 07-08-2015, 10:24 AM
caberto
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I had the same issue, but after I adjusted mine up, it is much better at night. You did it right, by riding and adjusting as you go until you're satisfied.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:37 AM
Afdharley
Road Master

I'll still get the driving lights someday, they just aren't at the top of the list after getting head light adjusted.

Quick Reply: RG headlight question