Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Avon grip problems

Old 07-16-2015, 08:26 PM
Lo 1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Avon grip problems

Bought a set of Avon air cushion grips for my KST Mayhems when I did my bar swap and the throttle grip will not stay engaged with the TBW gear in the handlebar. I tried everything I could think of to remedy the problem to no avail. The stock Harley grip works fine with the KST's.
Today I removed the KST Mayhem bars and installed Wild One WO577 bars. Same damn problem with the Avon grips. Too much play back and forth to stay completely engaged with the TBW gear. Again the factory grip works fine on the Wild Ones. WTF?
I found some threads with Avon grips and Yaffe bars having issues but nothing about KST and Wild Ones.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:33 PM
TJ3752
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have Avon air cushion gripes on my 12" KST Mayhems and they work perfectly. Maybe you just got a bad pair or they're not on all the way.

Old 07-16-2015, 10:51 PM
Lo 1
Road Captain

Has to be the Avon grips because there is no issue with the stock factory grip. I sent an email to Avon hoping for some help.

Old 07-17-2015, 08:50 AM
rideflhxs
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed the Wild Ones WO578 bars on my Street Glide a few weeks back. Had the exact same problem with the Avon Air Cushion grips. I called them directly and they are a very helpful company. They did indicate the sleeve on their air cushion grips is just a bit longer than factory stock and the grooves for the TBW may not stay fully engaged depending on how deep the 1" part of 1.25" bars goes. There are two varieties of those grips out there. One with a slightly longer set of grooves that they are now using and one with a shorter set of grooves. They sent me a replacement throttle grip with the longer grooves for free to try. Unfortunately for me, I already had that same model so it didn't help. They apparently are working on a new sleeve design to overcome this problem but its not out yet. I ended up getting Kuryakyn ISO grips instead. Those engaged much better but still had a lot of side to side play.

To overcome the side to side play is pretty easy. I cut two garden hose washers. First one cut down to the size to fit inside the rim of the TBW gear. Second cut down just small enough to slide inside the grip sleeve. The combination of the two left a perfect amount of play in the grip and since its rubber, it has a slightly cushioned feel to the play.

Hope that helps.

Old 07-17-2015, 08:44 PM
Lo 1
Road Captain

Good info! Avon does have a new version of the TBW grip for Harleys. Spoke to Debbie at Avon and she told me to send the throttle grip to them and they would send me the new style replacement. Sucks that I have to wait till they get the old one till I get the new one.

Old 07-24-2015, 05:55 PM
Lo 1
Road Captain

Ok! I give the f@$? Up. Waited a week for the new grip to get here from Avon and the new one does the same as the old one I had. These grips have way too much lateral play on the throttle side and won't stay engaged with the TBW gear. Put the factory grip on and all works they way it's supposed to. I guess I'm going to be looking for a set of Harley grips to replace these Avons.

Old 07-26-2015, 06:26 AM
tesnevo
Club Member
Received 93 Likes on 77 Posts

I hate to hear that. I was getting ready to order a set but may wait. I can't stand the Harley slimline grips

Old 07-26-2015, 06:54 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,719 Likes on 1,545 Posts

I have the same grips, same bars, same problem. No resolution. I put the factory grips back on.

Old 06-18-2016, 04:02 PM
lolife99
Cruiser

Man I wish I had seen this thread. I have the same problem with my new grips purchased from Ebay.
Guess I'll be buying different brand of grips.

Old 06-18-2016, 09:14 PM
Agrsiv
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

That means they are old stock and probably explains why they are on ebay.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Avon grip problems