Sponsored by:

Trading up to new CVO

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 06:39 PM
ultraclassic53
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here we go....The old CVO debate
If a CVO has pretty much everthing you want and your not going to do a lot I'd go for it. If your the kind of guy that likes to change a bunch of stuff it may not be in your best interest. People talk about what all they can get with the price difference but when it comes times to trade they loose all that money on all the add ons were you wont with the CVO
I'd wait and see if there are many changes to the 16's. If there aren't many changes save some money and get a new 15. They will knock some cash off for end of year.
I've bought last year models just because I like the paint better than the new ones.
I've never seen a CVO drop 10,000 just because someone "drove it off the lot" I've seen them go for a good saving when someone gets hard up for cash and have to dump them because they need money quick. Thats more of being in the right place at the right time situation. If you look hard and are patient you can usually find one.
I never trade in and let the deals make money off me twice. I buy a bike then sell my old one. Never really had a problem getting rid of one.
Good luck in whatever you choose.

Old 07-17-2015, 06:40 PM
Sailrider 1
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by rvdoc
I have a brother in law that is all CVO. I bought a SGS and added what I want and make it what I want. If you have a CVO you really feel it's hard to change the CVO after all the money spent. I have as much in mine as a CVO but is the only one like it. I tell my brother in law all the time there's only one like mine and approx. 2500 like his. Just my 2 cents.
This is my first CVO and your right. I probably won't change a thing. Why ? Because it already has everything. I traded my two Road Kings for this CVO. I probably had 10K in things I changed over the years on EACH of them. That's above what I paid for the bikes. I lost 20K when I traded because I didn't get a dime for all those internal engine upgrades, transmissions, shocks, suspension ect. I had fun making them "my own". But this time I don't mind that there are 2500 other beautiful bikes just like mine.

Old 07-17-2015, 06:44 PM
screamn_eagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is the plain truth. You can buy a regular model and dressit up....put 10-15 grand in extras. When you go to get rid of that bike you only recover about 10% of what you spent. The cvo comes standard with almost everything you would want on the bike. For that reason they hold their value way better than a dressed up regular model. I no longer spend a bunch of money making mods on my bikes. I do exhaust and stage 1 and leave it at that. I saw the 15 cvo ultra limited and i love the bike, but i bought my 14 limited used with 885 miles on it and traded my stock 13 anniversary limited with 18000 miles on it and paid 3000 and my bike to upgrade. A cvo is just out of my range at this time of my life. Get a 1yr old bike with low miles and you will be very happy with the deal

Old 07-17-2015, 06:51 PM
rvdoc
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sailrider 1
This is my first CVO and your right. I probably won't change a thing. Why ? Because it already has everything. I traded my two Road Kings for this CVO. I probably had 10K in things I changed over the years on EACH of them. That's above what I paid for the bikes. I lost 20K when I traded because I didn't get a dime for all those internal engine upgrades, transmissions, shocks, suspension ect. I had fun making them "my own". But this time I don't mind that there are 2500 other beautiful bikes just like mine.
I agree with you 100% buy what you want make it what you want because the only person that needs to be happy with it is you and possibly the wife!

Old 07-17-2015, 06:54 PM
Afdharley
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dinsmoor17
I just talked to my dealer about trading my 2014 Limited with 7k miles for a 2016 CVO Limited when they come out next month. If there is no price increase it will cost me about 19 k. I don't think that will happen.
If that bike is what you want then don't let the naysayers here talk you out of it.

I've learned that folks that talk the cvo down have never actually owned one. I'm on my first one and couldn't be happier. Will I change some things? Yes. But I won't be dumping $10grand worth of accessories into it.

Old 07-17-2015, 06:54 PM
rvdoc
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Sailrider 1
I agree with you.The only person that needs to be happy with your bike is you.

Old 07-17-2015, 07:08 PM
Road Captain

ME-V-O or CVO ?

Had a 2012 CVO Road Glide Custom, Maple Brown.
Loved it.

Had to sell.

Made it about 4 weeks till I had to buy another..

This time I created a "ME-V-O" and spent the same, but made it all mine....
vivid black and bad to the bone.

I would still buy a CVO again, but rarely has there been one with a paint scheme I can handle. Otherwise, the trim and motor, are worth it to me.

If they come out with a vivid black CVO Road Glide of some sort, I will have a problem.

ME-V-O or CVO ?

I prefer my ME-V-O now.

Good luck !

Old 07-17-2015, 08:10 PM
68 XLCH
Road Warrior
Received 149 Likes on 129 Posts

Being out of the loop for many years, i thought you gotta be kidding me 36,7, 8 for a bike, HD must be smoking some good stuff.

But had i done my homework, i would have gone CVO. Still have to put pipes, stage 1 and maybe a dyno on them tho, now we're bumping 40K.

And yes much better resale for the CVO package vs mod city.

But at this point i am way too vested in my machine, i like it a lot, fits me well, and has the necessary power and upgraded light package for safety and aesthetics.

Old 07-18-2015, 07:41 AM
hardwork2
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree buy a nice used one. you will save some money so you can take a trip or two with the savings

Old 07-18-2015, 12:07 PM
Dsm Limited
Received 8,153 Likes on 2,934 Posts

The extras you get with the CVO versus a non CVO are resalable and hold the value. The extras you pay for above and beyond the non CVO, while may be salable, do not hold the value.

This is all considering that you take a non CVO and add CVO options.

If I were going to add Chrome wheels, control packs, fork sliders, master cylinders and footboards. Then add a 110 kit, Boom audio upgrade, Hammock seat, alarm and electric locks. I would have bought a Limited CVO and been money ahead. Since I'm not adding those, my non CVO Limited works out great.

Quick Reply: Trading up to new CVO