Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gona try something with my FP3

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 07:53 AM
a3dad
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey GPHDXLC, thanks for the info. Very interesting. I just completed two runs (300 and 200 miles) post autotuning. I have to say the FM3 did a great job and I didn't notice any 'flat-spots' with my tune. I would be interested to hear what V&H has to say about tweaking your tables.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:07 AM
TcHunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by GPHDXLC
I'm not looking forward to calling him tomorrow, he put a lot of time in to my bike trying to get the PV to out perform the FP3. My FP3 has a lean spot from 3 to 4000 rpm. I will see if V&H can help on that, otherwise the bike runs the same with ether one. I'm not going to drop my $300 FP3 in the trash can.
Was it the same dyno guy that got your numbers from the FP3? If so he already knows the difference.

If not how did you get your dyno numbers from the FP3? Was it on a dyno? Or was it the tourqe/hp that reads off the FP3 features?

Old 08-03-2015, 11:23 AM
A206Driver
Tourer
Received 41 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GPHDXLC
I'm a little surprised in the lack of interest in this Thread. Must be most guys with the FP3 are happy so they just except it. I was unsure of the FP3 so I had to do this for piece of mind. I hope this Thread will help others like me. After I get my FP3 re flashed I will work with V&H to see if they can help me in my lean spot. He gave me this stick thing that shows the dyno runs. I forgot to grab it when I left. I don't know if he will let me have it after he has to re-install my FP3.
If I do get it I will have my Son come over and put some of them up on here.
I think that a lot of us are interested, you're getting a lot of reads. And we're very appreciative that you have shared the info with us. Hell, direct message me with your email and I'll send you some bucks to help defray your cost.
I had my suspicion that this would be the results. Thanks for sharing.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:32 AM
Sw1
Road Captain
Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

I am interested, and glad to see the results. I had an FP3 on my last bike and the only gripe was that I had to toss it and could not re use it on my new one. I had been considering a Powervision, but with the extra cot upfront and the cost to tune another bike later really doesn't add up to a bargain. I think I am going to get another FP3 for my new bike.

Old 08-03-2015, 01:33 PM
skyhawk85u
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been getting a lot of crap from friends about my FP3 and how I really need to have it dyno'd, etc. I dunno - it always felt pretty good to me. And now we have the actual numbers to prove it.

Old 08-03-2015, 04:00 PM
mavantix
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been following the thread interested. Glad to hear the FP3 is the winner in your test, since I went with the FP3 and did the autotune on my bike. I chose FP3 because it's more modern using my cell phone instead of it's own screen, I like that a lot. Once auto-tuned it seems to run well, and engine stays cooler than stock, so I'm very happy with it. V&H support email has also been top notch!

Old 08-03-2015, 04:08 PM
RG Pilot
Road Warrior
Received 276 Likes on 205 Posts

For sure this is good info but also remember that a custom dyno tune is only as good as the tuner guy that's tuning it. A different tuner guy maybe could squeeze a few more ponies out of the PV and another guy could with the FP3, but then we're splitting hairs. The FP3 is not really designed for custom dyno tunes but its auto tune feature, which the PV2 also has, obviously can get the tune to near perfect so it really does what it's supposed to do very easy.

Old 08-03-2015, 04:36 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 345 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by TcHunter
Was it the same dyno guy that got your numbers from the FP3? If so he already knows the difference.

If not how did you get your dyno numbers from the FP3? Was it on a dyno? Or was it the tourqe/hp that reads off the FP3 features?
Same guy same day. I got sick last night and the first part of today, I didn't get a chance to call him, do it tomorrow. He gave me that stick with the runs on it and I forgot to grab it. After he refunds my money he might not let me keep it. Maybe I could get him to print out the FP3 dyno and the last PV dyno then have my Son put it up here. Like I said the FP3 was lean from 3 to 4000 rpm. I'm hoping I could send it to V&H and have then fatten up the fuel cells in that area.

Old 08-04-2015, 06:00 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by '14 Limited
For sure this is good info but also remember that a custom dyno tune is only as good as the tuner guy that's tuning it. A different tuner guy maybe could squeeze a few more ponies out of the PV and another guy could with the FP3, but then we're splitting hairs. The FP3 is not really designed for custom dyno tunes but its auto tune feature, which the PV2 also has, obviously can get the tune to near perfect so it really does what it's supposed to do very easy.
14 Limited is correct, the tune is as good as the tuner and there are different ways to tune the Rushmore bikes, they did a update from the 14 models to the 15 models and my tuner had me to bring mine back in to retune. I'd say the FP3 was close but a good tuner that knows what to do should build a custom map that should better the FP3 a bit in certain areas but again the tune is as good as the tuner. Hope you get it straightened out and at least back to where you were at.

Old 08-05-2015, 05:18 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 345 Likes on 238 Posts

Well guys my experiment backfired. When the tune was telling me the advantages of the PV he said "if your not happy I can put it back the way it was, it's up to you. I said well if you do all this you got to get something at least $100. I did NOT nail him down on the details so I consider this my fault.
From what all he had said I never really thought I would want the FP3 back. I called him yesterday and he went into a very sad way of talking and couldn't believe I wasn't completely happy. He said it cost him $200 to install his PV and he had 4 hours of dyno time, he said he felt sick over this. He said he would work something out like maybe a discount on new tires.
So I now have a FP3 that I cant use and installed PV that didn't do much of any thing. He did spend some time telling me how much better the PV was but it still was for me to decide. I should had made sure his words was a Guarantee. So after spending another $450 on top of the $300 FP3. I know it won't cost me to get my FP3 reinstalled but I have a hard time with just pretending I didn't lose $450. On a high not he did readjust my Speedometer, but soon you will be able to do that with the FP3. I have about 300 miles on his tune so I'm not going to rush in to any changes fast. This guy seems really bummed. I'm taking full responsibility for our miss understanding.

Quick Reply: Gona try something with my FP3