Old 08-08-2015, 10:22 PM
Nipdawg
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No Playable Media Found and frequent Infotainment lock ups

PNY 128GB USB flash drive
File system: FAT
Number of MP3 files: 8237

When I connect a PNY 128GB USB flash drive using FAT file format in the USB port on the Infotainment Boom Box on the 14 FLHX, this will scan endlessly
without ever showing any count of music. Even if I wait for over an hour, it will still scan endlessly without any music available.

Then when I click on Find, Infotainment shows "No Playable Media Found" in the window.

When I use a 32GB USB flash drive using FAT32 file system on it, the Infotainment Boom Box will scan the USB flash drive for a while and then play songs/music. Then frequently start locking up either during play of a song or switching to a different song. I have tried and tested with nine (9) other USB flash drive ranging from 8GB to 128GB with the same result. The radio also experiences this problem. I have been experiencing this problem for many months. However, there was about a month where the 32GB USB flash drive would work for a while without any problems, but now it does not matter if it is the radio or while using a USB flash drive.

Has anyone else experienced these problems? If so, how did you correct these problems?

I have talked to the Master tech at the local HD dealership about these probems, on and off over time with has been about six months now, and this is now getting intolerable. I bought the 14 FLHX mostly for the radio and the bike itself, now the radio/media player is a mess.

Thanks.

Old 08-08-2015, 10:32 PM
codpilot
Cruiser

Welcome to the oddball horrible system that is the infotainment system.

Mine is even worse than yours FWIW, I'm hoping HD will step up and replace the bike (6 weeks in the shop, a months vacation ruined plus the crap system) so depending on the outcome of the current engine and radio issues it may or may not be necessary to explore additional options.

Old 08-09-2015, 06:38 AM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member

Received 464 Likes on 305 Posts

have you tried getting the latest update?

There was also some issues with larger USB drives not formatting to FAT32 properly (I use several 16GB just so that it's faster loading and searching and you can get a bunch of stuff on a 16GB drive)

I haven't had any lockup issues and I use mine every day.

Hope the update can help you out, I bought the special for the Infotainment and would be mad too if it didn't work correctly.

link for update thread: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/new-r...ting-line.html

Last edited by Bunker; 08-09-2015 at 06:41 AM.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:24 AM
Nipdawg
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bunker
have you tried getting the latest update?
I currently have the 1.19.1 update installed on the Boom Box.

Thanks.

Old 08-09-2015, 07:25 AM
Nipdawg
Advanced

Originally Posted by codpilot
Mine is even worse than yours FWIW, I'm hoping HD will step up and replace the bike (6 weeks in the shop, a months vacation ruined plus the crap system) so depending on the outcome of the current engine and radio issues it may or may not be necessary to explore additional options.
I will be suggesting for the HD dealership to fix or replace the Infotainment Boom Box on the bike as I am getting very tired of it not working.

Old 08-09-2015, 10:33 AM
codpilot
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Nipdawg
I will be suggesting for the HD dealership to fix or replace the Infotainment Boom Box on the bike as I am getting very tired of it not working.
Yeah mine is updated, restored to factory and updated more times than I can shake a stick at.

I turned my bike back in for warranty service on the engine, infotainment and the stupid melting guage look, and am simply planning on not taking it back until it's completely fixed. After almost two years of being a beta tester for Harley's software development team I am done.

I've seen too many people here say they have perfect systems with no problems at all. I want one of those.

Old 08-09-2015, 01:24 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 574 Likes on 416 Posts

In order to maximize system response time & minimize boot up time, use a USB memory device appropriate to hold the music with minimum extra unused space. Assure you have a clean start by formatting the USB device before copying your music to it. After the music is on your USB device, run a disk defrag on the device to ensure minimum file fragmentation.

I use a file structure that places music into folders by artist, then album. I have had no issues playing my music from USB following this strategy.

I did once try a 128Gb USB device & found it to be unresponsive. I don't know what the 6.5GT memory recognition limit is, but I have backed down to 32Gb, then 16Gb sizes in order to improve boot times & responsiveness. Easy enough to sort/mix music formats onto a couple 16Gb devices and then swap them out depending upon what music I'm in the mood to listen to.

Don't know if these suggestions will help the OP with his issues, but might be worth a try?

Old 08-09-2015, 10:25 PM
sammer4u
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I just had a similar situation this weekend and just solved it. I plugged in my thumb drive Saturday morning. Got the no media screen. Pissed we went on our 500 mile weekend trip. Wife said you sure you got it plugged in all the way? Yes I do! Tried again this morning with same results. Get home fiddle fart around with it push it in tight and the sob worked. Bumped it and it lost media connection. Pushed it in good again and it was fine. Must be real sensitive! Happy it works now. Just a fricken day late!! Don't tell the wife! Really wanted tunes up north in no man's land!

Old 08-10-2015, 06:57 PM
Nipdawg
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hammz
In order to maximize system response time & minimize boot up time, use a USB memory device appropriate to hold the music with minimum extra unused space. Assure you have a clean start by formatting the USB device before copying your music to it. After the music is on your USB device, run a disk defrag on the device to ensure minimum file fragmentation.

I use a file structure that places music into folders by artist, then album. I have had no issues playing my music from USB following this strategy.
This is how I have my USB flash drives with music on them with mostly no successful results of correcting the frequent lock up problems.

Originally Posted by Hammz
I did once try a 128Gb USB device & found it to be unresponsive. I don't know what the 6.5GT memory recognition limit is, but I have backed down to 32Gb, then 16Gb sizes in order to improve boot times & responsiveness. Easy enough to sort/mix music formats onto a couple 16Gb devices and then swap them out depending upon what music I'm in the mood to listen to.

Don't know if these suggestions will help the OP with his issues, but might be worth a try?
I have tried 8GB, 16GB, 32GB, and 128GB USB flash drives all without success.

I took the bike over to the HD dealership service to see what they can find the problem. It is frustrating not to listen to music while riding. This is one of the reasons why I bought the 14 FLHX bike.

Old 08-10-2015, 06:58 PM
Nipdawg
Advanced

Originally Posted by sammer4u
I just had a similar situation this weekend and just solved it. I plugged in my thumb drive Saturday morning. Got the no media screen. Pissed we went on our 500 mile weekend trip. Wife said you sure you got it plugged in all the way? Yes I do! Tried again this morning with same results. Get home fiddle fart around with it push it in tight and the sob worked. Bumped it and it lost media connection. Pushed it in good again and it was fine. Must be real sensitive! Happy it works now. Just a fricken day late!! Don't tell the wife! Really wanted tunes up north in no man's land!

There are times where I will sit the garage with playing around the Infotainment Boom Box with various USB flash drives with always getting the lock up problems. Then the next day when I plug a USB flash drive in, the Boom Box plays the music without a problem for awhile and then locks up again. This has progressively worsen over time to the point I would like to get it fixed.

Quick Reply: No Playable Media Found and frequent Infotainment lock ups