Sponsored by:

Sturgis Trip, GPS Report

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 09:37 PM
jdgresham
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Sturgis Trip, GPS Report

Just returned from Sturgis yesterday riding 3629 miles from Seattle, via Lolo Pass, Missoula MT, Jackson Hole WY,Yellowstone, Beartooth Hwy, Red Lodge MT, Bear Creek MT (pig races), Sturgis (RV rented at the Buffalo Chip), The Needles Hwy, Devils Tower, Great Falls MT, Glacier National Park & Road To The Sun!

Bottom line on the GPS is it officially sucks about 1/2 the time. When it was good, it was really good with accurate directions. When it was bad it didn't know where the hell it was at. Audio telling me to turn left and direction arrow saying turn right. Telling me turn where there was no road or street names not identified correctly!

We are now starting to plan a ride from Seattle to Daytona Bike Week!

Old 08-11-2015, 09:47 PM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 197 Likes on 167 Posts

Why am I not surprised .............

Old 08-11-2015, 09:53 PM
tdkkart
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jdgresham
Bottom line on the GPS is it officially sucks about 1/2 the time. When it was good, it was really good with accurate directions. When it was bad it didn't know where the hell it was at. Audio telling me to turn left and direction arrow saying turn right. Telling me turn where there was no road or street names not identified correctly

One thing that I learned way back when I first started using a GPS.......turn off the sound and go solely by the map on the screen. MUCH less confusing than trying to listen and decipher the map at the same time.

For all I know my GPS has been telling me to go the opposite direction from the map for years..........

Old 08-11-2015, 09:55 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,720 Likes on 1,546 Posts

I just returned from Sturgis (5000 miles or so) riding basically easy hwy routes.
The thing worked good for me but my only gripe is how-in-the-hell do you "Pause" navigation so the thing will not yell at me 200 times in the parking lot when I leave the road to get gas?

That and it does not show the next road (turn) very well.

So yeah, a 100 dollar Garmin beats it easily still but all the other features work very well regardless.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:56 PM
CSMHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 281 Likes on 177 Posts

I don't get it. I've been using my HD GPS for seven months / 15,000 miles without skipping a beat. Longest trip was 2,000 miles. I wonder why there's such a difference. I don't doubt the negative reports, just trying to figure this out.

Old 08-11-2015, 09:58 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Well, I had just the opposite experience with my '15 Limited and HD Nav.

Rode approx. 875 miles around the Black Hills area (Rapid City, Sturgis, Deadwood, Spearfish, Devils Tower, Badlands, etc.)
Using custom routes I created with Ride Planner, the unit never missed a beat.
Every single turn was correct, and every road and address I wanted to hit showed up correctly.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:03 PM
cpbedor
Road Warrior
Received 201 Likes on 165 Posts

I don't mean to cause controversy on this topic because I know the GPS isn't accurate and often times is downright awful but most of us have been riding Harleys for 20+ years without GPS and we seemed to manage just fine. Isn't part of the fun NOT knowing where the F you are? JDG, sounds like you had an absolutely beautiful trip with phenomenal scenery. Generally speaking, from Seattle, "go east" and eventually you'll find Sturgis, right? I understand that if HD is going to advertise a GPS system, it should function they way they advertise. They charge us lots of money for these bikes and most of us STILL put new pipes on or add a seat we like more. If people don't like the GPS, get a different one! No different than any other mod. I think the Infotainment offers way more good than bad. I'm sure it could be better but it's better than what they offered up to 2013. Sorry for the rant. I'll step down from the soap box now.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:04 PM
CSMHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 281 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
I just returned from Sturgis (5000 miles or so) riding basically easy hwy routes.
The thing worked good for me but my only gripe is how-in-the-hell do you "Pause" navigation so the thing will not yell at me 200 times in the parking lot when I leave the road to get gas?

So yeah, a 100 dollar Garmin beats it easily still but all the other features work very well regardless.
Ok ... I'll admit I've never let that damn GPS give me voice directions. I don't do so good following orders from females

Old 08-11-2015, 10:13 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

We did our Sturgis trip and our nav worked perfect. We always knew where we were,where we were going and how we got there and where to go next. Our maps worked great and got them free on line from the states tourism Dept. sometimes less is more.

Last edited by sixguns; 08-11-2015 at 10:17 PM.
Old 08-11-2015, 10:44 PM
jammerx
Stellar HDF Member
Received 327 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by lp

Yes I agree, a pause button would be awesome!

Quick Reply: Sturgis Trip, GPS Report