Sponsored by:

Tuning for dummies

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 04:58 PM
soonerp
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Tuning for dummies

Currently running 15 ultra limited with v&h down pipe decatted 2-1-2 with rush 4in big Louie mufflers 2 in baffle and se breather. Dealer installed stage 1 download. Ride is now 3 months old with 7600 miles. Seems to run a little rich (smell fuel) at shut down. So for a non mech/tuner guy is the Fp3 with auto tune a good choice. I'm told by some that tts is better does more etc but given my knowledge level and the cost I leaning to the fp3. Thought/s would be helpful

Old 08-12-2015, 05:23 PM
RG Pilot
Road Warrior
Received 275 Likes on 204 Posts

FP3 is an excellent choice and extremely easy to use too. Support is great and the auto tune feature dials it in nicely. It is a flash tuner which means it programs your ECM and can be taken off when finished. It saves your existing tune in one of it's 6 memory slots and that tune cannot be deleted or over written so in the rare case that anything goes south, you can always revert back to the tune that was on your bike originally before you programmed with the FP3. If you leave the unit plugged in, you can have multiple gauge layouts on your smart phone that give you lots of data while you ride. The DynoJet PV2 (Power Vision 2) is good too and you'll find tons of information on both tuners here. For your application though, I think the FP3 is a good fit since you won't be doing much customizing to the tune yourself which the PV2 may have an edge over the FP3 but that's debatable.

Old 08-12-2015, 05:29 PM
pfnork66
Cruiser

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

My story is similar. Last bike dealer installed pipes, SE air cleaner and sold me the SE tuner. They Dyno tuned the bike. The cost for all of this was astronomical. The bike ran OK but with a huge amount of decel pop.

This new bike (FLHX) I'm installing the decatted head pipe, Big Sucker AC and using the VH FP3 by myself.

Having read volumes about this subject it looks like we are saving big bucks and expect a better result.

Good Luck

Old 08-12-2015, 05:33 PM
RG Pilot
Road Warrior
Received 275 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by pfnork66
My story is similar. Last bike dealer installed pipes, SE air cleaner and sold me the SE tuner. They Dyno tuned the bike. The cost for all of this was astronomical. The bike ran OK but with a huge amount of decel pop.

This new bike (FLHX) I'm installing the decatted head pipe, Big Sucker AC and using the VH FP3 by myself.

Having read volumes about this subject it looks like we are saving big bucks and expect a better result.

Good Luck
Exactly. And....if you change anything else afterwards, you'd need another dyno tune for that. The FP3 will accommodate changes down the road as well. My bike runs great since I added the FP3 and now I'm adding a head pipe so all I need to do is reflash and maybe another auto tune.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:20 PM
soonerp
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the I think I will get ordered

Old 08-12-2015, 07:30 PM
Greg2012FLHTK
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

You get that rich old car smell because you don't have a catalytic converter cleaning up the exhaust fumes. I do recommend the FP3 tuner over the stage 1 download. But a tuner will actually make it run richer than the EPA compliant download.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:47 PM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,291 Likes on 1,905 Posts

Originally Posted by soonerp
Currently running 15 ultra limited with v&h down pipe decatted 2-1-2 with rush 4in big Louie mufflers 2 in baffle and se breather. Dealer installed stage 1 download. Ride is now 3 months old with 7600 miles. Seems to run a little rich (smell fuel) at shut down. So for a non mech/tuner guy is the Fp3 with auto tune a good choice. I'm told by some that tts is better does more etc but given my knowledge level and the cost I leaning to the fp3. Thought/s would be helpful
I think we all smell a little fuel after we shut down. I know when my wife and I pull the bikes in the garage after a ride I leave the door open for a while to clear the gas smell out, I don't believe it has anything to do with the tune.

I've never used a FP so I can not give advice on that tuner. I do have 2 DynoJet Power Vision tuners on a 2014 and 2015 Limited with Stage 1. For me the PV2 was the easiest tuner to install, Flash a new map to the EMC and auto tune of any tuner I've used. Our bikes have plenty of power and we are averaging 45 - 50 mpg.
Good Luck

Old 08-12-2015, 07:58 PM
SecondGear
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

My FP3 just arrived today. My bike is nearly stock. All I swapped is the stock mufflers for CVO mufflers.

Is it generally better to try to find an existing map that matches the bike or just let autotune do it's thing?

Old 08-12-2015, 07:59 PM
Classic bagger
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vernal
I think we all smell a little fuel after we shut down. I know when my wife and I pull the bikes in the garage after a ride I leave the door open for a while to clear the gas smell out, I don't believe it has anything to do with the tune.

I've never used a FP so I can not give advice on that tuner. I do have 2 DynoJet Power Vision tuners on a 2014 and 2015 Limited with Stage 1. For me the PV2 was the easiest tuner to install, Flash a new map to the EMC and auto tune of any tuner I've used. Our bikes have plenty of power and we are averaging 45 - 50 mpg.
Good Luck

Smell fuel almost every time. Bone stock 14 Ultra. Did it on my 11 and my 06. All were pretty much stock. I think that fuel smell just is what it is.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:25 PM
putztech
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SecondGear
My FP3 just arrived today. My bike is nearly stock. All I swapped is the stock mufflers for CVO mufflers.

Is it generally better to try to find an existing map that matches the bike or just let autotune do it's thing?
I just put my FP3 on. You have to put a map on before it lets you autotune. The autotune option isn't available until you put a map on the bike.

Quick Reply: Tuning for dummies