Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GoPro Anyone???

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 01:33 PM
Lilman
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

FLSlim, yours like all the rest are excellent ideas. Having a TG like mine or any of the full fairing touring bikes for that matter limits the handlebar mount capability.

First off there isn't much room on the bars to mount anything and secondly you have to get it up and over the fairing.

Old 08-15-2015, 05:47 PM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a go pro 2 and would like the 4 with it's 4K resolution. I plug my data card directly into my 4K TV and the clarity is amazing!! And the 2 is only 1080HD.

Not sure why someone mentioned they didn't like the helmet mount. I know the P/O said it was not a consideration, but for me it works the best. Plus whenever I want to I can turn my head to capture scenery that's more than just the down the road view.

I also use a stereo mike and locate it near my exhaust to capture the sound of the bike.

Before, without the mike all I got was a rattling sound, clunking sound and wind noise, even wedged with cushions and taping over the Go pro's mike to prevent direct wind into it which created noise.

I also like viewing my videos from the "driver's seat". I catch a small amount of the windshield and all the videos allow me to relive the ride as if I was setting right there on the bike.

Also on the helmet you get the advantage of height.

Nothing wrong with other mounting positions or other's likes or dislikes just have to figure out what works for you and the view you like.

I will tell you to start "tinkering" with it way before you want to take it on a trip. There is a learning curve and only practice will help BEFORE the big trip / ride.

Pictured here is my mike cable unplugged and draped over the seat. It's a bit of a nuisance but it's worth the effort to get the clean crisp sound of the bike. I even installed a couple of clear plastic cable stabilizers on the helmet to hold it behind me. I drilled out the connecting point for the external mike. I don't really need it to be waterproof. If it's raining I typically am not riding or wanting to take video.

I also don't use the widest angle you can take. It really elongates the views. Software can fix that stretched out aspect but the picture starts looking like you are on the ocean with it pitching oddly.

One last helpful tidbit use the Go Pro software that's free at their website. It allows for editing and many other special functions.

Old 08-17-2015, 06:12 AM
Bart van der Meulen
Road Master
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

I decided not to go for a GoPro, because I don't like to have a 20th Century Fox camera size on my helmet. I went for a Denver 1300 AC including a water tight housing not bigger than a big match box. I placed it aside my helmet, not on top. I can use the water tight housing and camera up to 100ft below sea level during scuba as well. Miniature with astonishing good images and a high movie resolution. Paid new $40 for all, including helmet mount. For me no Hollywood size camera's on my helmet, riding around like a clown or a f..cking Teletubbie

Old 08-17-2015, 08:44 AM
canonelan2
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bart van der Meulen
I decided not to go for a GoPro, because I don't like to have a 20th Century Fox camera size on my helmet. I went for a Denver 1300 AC including a water tight housing not bigger than a big match box. I placed it aside my helmet, not on top. I can use the water tight housing and camera up to 100ft below sea level during scuba as well. Miniature with astonishing good images and a high movie resolution. Paid new $40 for all, including helmet mount. For me no Hollywood size camera's on my helmet, riding around like a clown or a f..cking Teletubbie
Hopefully you will get decent quality from it. GoPro also sells a new, smaller camera, http://shop.gopro.com/hero4/hero4-se...CHDHS-101.html

GoPro is not all just about the camera, it's the entire system which has mounts for pretty much everything. That's not something you're going to get from the cheap knock offs.

Old 08-17-2015, 12:27 PM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bart van der Meulen
Haha. Don't hold back...Teletubbies..lol. I mounted mine close to the Helmet and more on the front. I agree the ones that stick way up in the air over the top of the helmet look odd.

20th Century Fox Camera ... Whoa.

I really don't care what it looks like I care about the results. No one has ever come up to me to say "Hey what's with the camera on top of your your helmet".

Good luck with your choice.

BTW, off to one side of the helmet should work just fine. I tried that first and didn't like the "offset" appearance of my vids.

(take all of this with a humorist tone it was intended to be)

Last edited by JohnnyC; 08-18-2015 at 08:42 AM.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:02 PM
canonelan2
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I should also throw in for those interested that I originally bought the cheapest GoPro, not knowing how much I'd use it and almost immediately regretted it as there were features available in the middle model that I wanted but didn't realize I wanted until I had some GoPro experience. Now, I really love the Hero 4 Silver and use my old Hero 3 White for secondary shots...

Old 08-17-2015, 01:39 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,039 Likes on 3,711 Posts

I use a Midland XTC300 camera on the side of the helmet.

Old 08-17-2015, 05:00 PM
01XLH
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As far as vibration...
During winter someone in South Fla posted a ride video just to tease us folks in the snow and cold. He used a Sony HDR-AZ1 and you can get a remote that includes a GPS receiver and insert the GPS, speed etc. info by post-processing. Damned if I can find that post now.

Anyway I bought one and used the old RAM GPS mount off the 05 Glide and parts lying around to mount it on the handlebar.
What surprised me was the lack of vibration. Even with the video stabilization of the camera has I didn't think the video would be that "smooth".

This was only my 2nd time using it, I had a drink in the cup holder and it was rattling against the camera mount, so just ignore the rattling sound lol
Notice how much more the fairing vent appears to vibrate compared to the video.

I'll have to finish editing it and put it up on YT so there's more of it.

Attached Files
File Type: mpeg
GotL_8.mpeg (3.94 MB, 63 views)

Last edited by 01XLH; 08-17-2015 at 05:03 PM.
Old 08-18-2015, 04:36 AM
Lilman
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for the info. Received my Hog Tag Collar yesterday and hope to play with it soon. Work, rain and other responsibilities are putting a damper on things I really want to do!

Old 08-19-2015, 06:33 AM
Bart van der Meulen
Road Master
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

As many bikers as many preferences for everything, including cameras.
The Denver 1300 is an astonishing good camera with excellent results. There is on internet a comparison between Denver 1300 and the small GoPro and considered the difference in price, the Denver was winner over all. The little bit extra quality from the GoPro was not justifying the extra price for purchase. For 99,5% of the users the difference in quality was not even to be noticed.
There is a 'wave' of GoPro going on, if you don't go for a GoPro you are not a real helmet camera user. I notice that in Europe and also here in the Middle East. I like to counterweight that a little bit by sharing my excellent experiences with a camera just 1/4 of the price of the cheapest GoPro and much more versatile than just placed on your helmet. With a wrist strap the camera goes with me to 100 ft subsea, lighted with my diving lamp.
Indeed, side mount of the tiny watertight box holding the mini camera gives me less weight and less drag/turbulence than placed on top of the helmet. Which tribute al lot to the great movies with a very stabile view.

Last edited by Bart van der Meulen; 08-19-2015 at 06:35 AM.

Quick Reply: GoPro Anyone???