Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GoPro Anyone???

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 07:38 AM
canonelan2
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to see some footage, have you posted any of your videos?

Old 08-19-2015, 02:44 PM
scarin
Cruiser

Just got home and took over 11,000 shots with my GoPro, started looking last night and have some great ones. I use the timelapse setting as I don't personally like video. Pictures were sharp and clear. I had it mounted on the fairing of my 14 SGS with Ram Mount suction cup mount and never had a problem. I used this suction cup mount and it held with no problems at all speeds and in all weather.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o01_s00

Couple of recommendations

I bought this and added a hot USB under the fairing and used it to power the gopro http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o02_s00

With this battery eliminator

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o04_s00

Allowed me to run the gopro for hours and not have to worry about battery issues. I find the batteries don't last through a long days riding.

Also the batteries on the remote do not last either. I initially mounted the gopro front middle of the fairing on the nose and then shifted it to the left side where the camera was reachable while riding so I could start it and stop it manually, much better system. But stable in both places with the Ram suction cup mount.

Old 08-19-2015, 02:48 PM
scarin
Cruiser

As mentioned in some of the posts the fixed mount has at least one major drawback, you need to set it and aim it and once you do it is fixed in that position for the duration. A helmet mount will follow your view. I crossed a few amazing peaks and the best views were off to my right and the camera didn't get great shots.

Would love to get the LCD back and some way to move the camera easily while underway, but that is a research project for the next trip, unless anyone has any ideas?

Old 08-19-2015, 06:57 PM
Schoondog
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Helmet mount https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl_t4K9qYdQ

Suction cup mount on saddle bag https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcv46x6HaiQ

Suction cup mount on fairing with timelapse https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U64XCh3SKkc

Old 08-19-2015, 06:57 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

And the drawback for video shot from a helmet is it is unstable and nauseating for the majority of the viewers.

If you want to see the peaks to the right, mount the camera to record right.

The video I posted has the camera mounted in at LEAST 8 different positions.... including on the helmet for short clips.

Old 08-19-2015, 10:12 PM
CJ's Mom
Advanced

I mounted my using a ram mount ball in the unused mirror hole.

R&R

Old 08-20-2015, 04:51 AM
03Custom883
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CJ's Mom
I mounted my using a ram mount ball in the unused mirror hole.

R&R

How is the vibration? Do you have any posted videos?

Old 08-20-2015, 08:33 AM
thephatboy2003
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
And the drawback for video shot from a helmet is it is unstable and nauseating for the majority of the viewers.

If you want to see the peaks to the right, mount the camera to record right.

The video I posted has the camera mounted in at LEAST 8 different positions.... including on the helmet for short clips.
I guess everyone has a different experience........I haven't used my GoPro while riding yet but have used it several times snowboarding and as bumpy as that gets, was amazed at how smooth the video was mounted to my helmet. It was even taken at night and the quality was great.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:46 AM
Rathgar
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I just tried the goose neck mount that I mounted on the left side of the inner faring. I worked pretty good and I didn't notice much vibration. The thing I really like was being able to turn the camera while riding.
To me it looks like the faring has much less vibration than the handlebars, especially while stopped and idling.
The time lapse is the way to go if you have vibration issues, the shutter speed (is there such a thing with digital?) is so fast that you get no indication of camera movement and it makes an interesting video.
For permanent power I drilled a hole in the case and siliconed the cable to maintain the seal since I expected a lot of rain on that particular trip.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:59 AM
Budoka
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default MotoXtek Mount

While I was in Sturgis, I picked up a mount for my GoPro made by a company called www.motoXtek.com. I have a 14 Limited and the fairing and lack of handlebar space was making me scratch my bald head. I did the suction cup on the front of the fairing (produced some nice shots), head strap mount, highway bars mount, etc. None of them were great. The MotoXtek mount installs in less than 5 minutes. You simply take the 2 screws out of mirror/brake master cylinder on the handlebar, line up the mount and replace the screws with the supplied longer screws and you are done. Put a couple of the GoPro extenders and you can place it in a way that it sees over your fairing and handlebars. There is a ball and socket that attaches the mount to the camera that swivels for shots to the side, back...any angle on the fly. Plus, you can purchase adapters to hold many other items, such as your phone, gps, etc. I got some great shots with it while I was in Sturgis. I'm putting on an event next week (www.rideforthepirate.com) and can't wait to use it for that. As for vibration, it's a Harley. What do you expect?

Quick Reply: GoPro Anyone???