Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GoPro Anyone???

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 05:49 AM
Lilman
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Good setup and video... Looks like I have some experimentation to do!

Old 08-25-2015, 05:53 PM
dh_meyer
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by 03Custom883
dh do you have a picture of your setup?
Here are some picsGoPro Anyone???-021.jpg

GoPro Anyone???-026.jpg

GoPro Anyone???-023.jpg

GoPro Anyone???-028.jpg

Old 08-25-2015, 05:59 PM
dh_meyer
Road Captain

Originally Posted by dh_meyer

What I like about this set up is:

- no tools needed
- no marks left behind (rubber built into jaws of the Tough Claw)
- easy to remove (prevent theft)
- easily adjusted for various angles
- can start/stop video capture while riding (at your own risk !)
- can mount on other things (ATV, bicycle, etc)

I would like to hear some comments, good or bad, about the vibration. I know its not perfect ........ would like to get an idea of how much better is achievable.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:25 AM
acftgrunt
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Solution?

Ok, Love the mounting ideas her but what do you guys do for power on long rides with out having to change batteries all the time.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:07 PM
TwistedRider
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by acftgrunt
Ok, Love the mounting ideas her but what do you guys do for power on long rides with out having to change batteries all the time.
For the Hero 4 I use
http://theimagingworld.com/products/...FcESHwodmE8AVA
Came with the Hog Collar Kit. I think they make them for other GoPro Cameras

Old 08-26-2015, 04:33 PM
dh_meyer
Road Captain

Originally Posted by acftgrunt
I'm still sorting this out ............. so I might change my mind ....... even with my current mount, which allows me to stop/start recording and even turn the GP on/off (again, a somewhat dangerous maneuver) to save as much battery as I can, I see the need to obtain a second battery that I would recharge (in the TourPack) while using the other. I think will give me MORE than enough footage for most GP situations.

I really dont want cord dangling around. Thats just me. I'm trying to keep this simple/quick/portable/cheap.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:34 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

I change the batteries.

I've got 3, and a 2 bank charger that runs off the USB charger in the cigar plug in the tourpak.

I fount the remote battery sucks, so when I added the USB hub, I ran one to the handlebar for my GoPro remote. Small issue resolved.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:49 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 260 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by dh_meyer
I'm still sorting this out ............. so I might change my mind ....... even with my current mount, which allows me to stop/start recording and even turn the GP on/off (again, a somewhat dangerous maneuver) to save as much battery as I can, I see the need to obtain a second battery that I would recharge (in the TourPack) while using the other. I think will give me MORE than enough footage for most GP situations.

I really dont want cord dangling around. Thats just me. I'm trying to keep this simple/quick/portable/cheap.
If you scroll back to post #17, you'll see how I power mine. No worries about battery life. I run out of memory card at about 8 hours though.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:10 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Deucedog
... I run out of memory card at about 8 hours though.
So is that taking the best video possible? What size card?

Keep in mind that the cards come with different rating for the speed. Always use a class 4.

Also I mentioned this every time I can ... The super wide angle setting is not the best for our purposes. It's like being on a rocking boat. I use the mid setting for a more stable looking video.

I use 2 aftermarket batteries that are higher rated than the OEM. and swap them out whenever I may stop along a route.

I like the photo feature and need to try that some time. I can see how the photo shutter is so quick it would take away any bouncing or blurring issues. Not sure how I'd use a 100 or thousand stills and create a movie but it would be nice and condensed to just use a shot here and there with the slideshow feature. It would hold interest if each photo was different enough. I do find endless video of a ride (most rides) to be boring after so long. I like to edit scenes. One video I even place the camera in key positions and created a movie with multi-angles but that was a production to set the camera and then go back and drive into, or away from the stationary positioned camera.

Be sure to hit settings and use 1080HD

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EM9R32pI9iY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This was not shot with my Go Pro. It's a hand held Canon HD digital. And not my best touring video to date. But shows some other aspects of editing and stationary camera use.

Last edited by JohnnyC; 08-27-2015 at 10:17 AM.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:52 AM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 260 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyC
So is that taking the best video possible? What size card?

Keep in mind that the cards come with different rating for the speed. Always use a class 4.

Also I mentioned this every time I can ... The super wide angle setting is not the best for our purposes. It's like being on a rocking boat. I use the mid setting for a more stable looking video.

I use 2 aftermarket batteries that are higher rated than the OEM. and swap them out whenever I may stop along a route.

I like the photo feature and need to try that some time. I can see how the photo shutter is so quick it would take away any bouncing or blurring issues. Not sure how I'd use a 100 or thousand stills and create a movie but it would be nice and condensed to just use a shot here and there with the slideshow feature. It would hold interest if each photo was different enough. I do find endless video of a ride (most rides) to be boring after so long. I like to edit scenes. One video I even place the camera in key positions and created a movie with multi-angles but that was a production to set the camera and then go back and drive into, or away from the stationary positioned camera.

Be sure to hit settings and use 1080HD

This was not shot with my Go Pro. It's a hand held Canon HD digital. And not my best touring video to date. But shows some other aspects of editing and stationary camera use.
It's a 32 gig, class 10 card. You are correct on the 180* wide angle setting. I don't like the 'fish eye' effect that the videos have with that setting. I reset it to 110* and it's much better.
Interestingly, if I just let the camera run all day, it breaks the video up into 3.+ gig clips.
On a trip out west a couple of years ago I let the camera run all day on video. At the end of the day I'd upload the video to my laptop so I'd have an empty card for the next day. One day I must have hit the settings button and changed it to take a snapshot every 60 seconds.
By the time we stopped that night I had about 8000 pictures. lol

Quick Reply: GoPro Anyone???