Sponsored by:

Primary oil level

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 09:40 PM
Udawg
HDF Community Team
Received 130 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Primary oil level

Just changing all the fluids and I know the service manual says 38 oz. in a primary (wet) but I've put 32 oz. in and it is perfectly level with the bottom circle I've always used as a guideline. Should I add the other 6 oz. or ride it at 32. It appears the 38 oz. will bring it up about 1/4" above the bottom of the circle. The gears are fully immersed and the level now covers the white circle on the bottom. Don't know if this will show up but here is the pic.

Attached Thumbnails Primary oil level-001.jpg  
Old 09-05-2015, 01:14 AM
tdkkart
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Udawg
Just changing all the fluids and I know the service manual says 38 oz. in a primary (wet) but I've put 32 oz. in and it is perfectly level with the bottom circle I've always used as a guideline. Should I add the other 6 oz. or ride it at 32. It appears the 38 oz. will bring it up about 1/4" above the bottom of the circle. The gears are fully immersed and the level now covers the white circle on the bottom. Don't know if this will show up but here is the pic.

32oz fills my 15 CVO to the same level, I'm running it at 32.

Old 09-05-2015, 06:18 AM
myanoch
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got finished doing my new cvo and I noticed when I checked the amount that was in their from factory it was near 30 oz also notice finding neutral and shifting was great
They also a slipper clutch in it
My 14sgs had 30 had put in and also 38oz
Tried different levels no real difference
Believe less is better for neutral find
syn3 and mobil 1 works in primary for me
tried shock proof and spectro no as good

syn3 also was noisier in engine than mobil 1
I was shocked to see this
never used syn3 before
Used mobil 1 in all my bikes after break in

Old 09-05-2015, 06:21 AM
Stansuski
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would not add more oil as I don't believe it even needs 32oz. I know my bike is older but I have found in this case a little less is better, I run 28oz. And clutch seems much smoother. I have been doing this for many years.
Stan

Old 09-05-2015, 06:36 AM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member

Received 247 Likes on 180 Posts

Yeah, good idea to ignore what the SM says, nothing worthwhile in there...maybe try it with no oil, might find neutral easier...(yeah, sarcasm!)

You buy a Service Manual and decide not to follow it, why? It says 38oz. for a reason...but do what you want.

The following 2 users liked this post by IUOE ROB:
brokefootkenny (05-04-2017), GOV5 (04-18-2017)
Old 09-05-2015, 06:42 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Originally Posted by Udawg
FYI, that's the bottom of your clutch basket (or as a RUB calls it, circle thingy)...

Old 09-05-2015, 06:50 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,719 Likes on 1,545 Posts

Originally Posted by IUOE ROB
Yeah, good idea to ignore what the SM says, nothing worthwhile in there...maybe try it with no oil, might find neutral easier...(yeah, sarcasm!)

You buy a Service Manual and decide not to follow it, why? It says 38oz. for a reason...but do what you want.
Just fill to the bottom of the clutch basket - or circle thingy . This was in the manual for years and years and years.
Or just blindly pour in 38oz if you're the type who is a good direction taker and who doesn't care about actuals and possibly overfilling a little which will basically do nothing harmful but waste a few ounces of oil for no reason.

Just know, adding more oil than what is actually needed does not make things better.

Last edited by lp; 09-05-2015 at 06:53 AM.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:03 AM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member

Received 247 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
Just fill to the bottom of the clutch basket - or circle thingy . This was in the manual for years and years and years.
Or just blindly pour in 38oz if you're the type who is a good direction taker and who doesn't care about actuals and possibly overfilling a little which will basically do nothing harmful but waste a few ounces of oil for no reason.

Just know, adding more oil than what is actually needed does not make things better.
So you put 3 quarts of oil in your car when it calls for 5 because you wouldn't want to "blindly" follow the manufacturers recommendation? The Service Manual (you know, the one written by the Harley Engineers) calls for 38 but you know better, right? What division of the MOCO do you work for? And please explain to me, when the manual calls for 38 how am I overfilling by putting in 38, can't wait to hear that one...as I said to the OP, do WTF you want, I'll "blindly" follow the manual.

Old 09-05-2015, 07:12 AM
THE PEG
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

I ran with 32oz and heard more noise from the compensator. I put in 38oz on the next change all quiet.

Old 09-05-2015, 07:19 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,719 Likes on 1,545 Posts

Originally Posted by IUOE ROB
So you put 3 quarts of oil in your car when it calls for 5 because you wouldn't want to "blindly" follow the manufacturers recommendation? The Service Manual (you know, the one written by the Harley Engineers) calls for 38 but you know better, right? What division of the MOCO do you work for? And please explain to me, when the manual calls for 38 how am I overfilling by putting in 38, can't wait to hear that one...as I said to the OP, do WTF you want, I'll "blindly" follow the manual.
Actuals are better but since people can't seem find "bottom of clutch" half the time HD changed the newer manuals to say "38".
The bottom of the clutch IS the dip stick more or less for the primary and if I blindly poured in too much oil in a car/truck/motorcycle following some spec out of a book and the oil ended up OVER the Full line I would drain out the extra because I'm not a book mechanic. I'm a real mechanic... that checks for proper levels using the book as a guide. If for some reason you didn't drain 38, you'd be overfilling by putting in a new 38, which is why the OP popped the question.

But you do what you want Rob. I fill to the Full line and nothing more.

Last edited by lp; 09-05-2015 at 07:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
waginc (05-29-2017)

Quick Reply: Primary oil level