Sponsored by:

crossover pipe leaking, i think it's causing popping and Backfiring

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 08:41 PM
dproto09
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default crossover pipe leaking, i think it's causing popping and Backfiring

Still Leaking by the crossover What am I doing wrong? See last post(10/22/2015)
Recently my SGS is popping on decel and back firing since i replaced my muffler rubber mounts and noticed the crossover clamp loose. I searched online and seem like the crossover tends to leaks and causing popping on decel. I tested for a leak on the crossover pipe by using soapy water and a shop vac. Found a leak.

Last time I replaced the crossover gasket, when I installed my decatted header, and it was a pain in the butt to replace. This time I brought the copper silicons and applied it to the crossover. Hopefully this solves my problem, if not I'm going to have order a new crossover gasket and exhaust clamp.

I'll test it tomorrow, hopefully this solves my problems.

Last edited by dproto09; 10-22-2015 at 12:19 PM. Reason: still having problems
Old 09-13-2015, 09:52 PM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

1-Did you reuse the stock crossover pipe (or is it a crossunder pipe)

2-You can get a full size pipe from Fuel Moto, my Rinehart Slimline Duals came with a full size cross-pipe.
3-You have to make sure the crossover-under pipe is fully seated also in the header pipe also.

Last edited by OldPhat; 09-16-2015 at 05:39 PM.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:38 AM
dproto09
Tourer

Update. It still leaking and I found out my problem. User error. I never installed the cross over pipe correctly. I didn't realize you have to seat the crossover pipe all the way until the clamp is over the header shoulder. I order a new clamp and gasket.

Old 09-16-2015, 04:25 PM
Ecchi Shoe
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dproto09, I just read your post and wonder if I have the same/similar issue.

I have a '15 ultra limited that I replaced the stock slip-ons with V&H Monster Squares slip-ons. The header is stock.

The exhaust is fine until the bike warms up, i.e. full temp. Then the exhaust changes, it gets very poppy and not that pleasant to ride on. It is like mini sonic booms that assault my ears. I also have the popping during deceleration.

I reinstalled the Monsters and even used a rubber mallet and wood block to make sure the slip-ons were all the way on. In the end, it didn't make much of a difference.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Old 09-16-2015, 05:51 PM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

Also check into the Air Fuel Ratio, If it is lean, it will pop on deceleration.
If no tuning device is used to richen the fuel on your Bike it will run super lean
if you have a Stage-I setup on the Bike causing the deceleration popping.

Last edited by OldPhat; 09-16-2015 at 05:53 PM.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:01 PM
Ecchi Shoe
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have tuned it with the V&H FP3. I used the map for my bike and the new slip-ons. I did change the stock A/C to a Kurkakyn high flow A/C when I changed the slip-ons.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:09 PM
dproto09
Tourer

Originally Posted by Ecchi Shoe
dproto09, I just read your post and wonder if I have the same/similar issue.

I have a '15 ultra limited that I replaced the stock slip-ons with V&H Monster Squares slip-ons. The header is stock.

The exhaust is fine until the bike warms up, i.e. full temp. Then the exhaust changes, it gets very poppy and not that pleasant to ride on. It is like mini sonic booms that assault my ears. I also have the popping during deceleration.

I reinstalled the Monsters and even used a rubber mallet and wood block to make sure the slip-ons were all the way on. In the end, it didn't make much of a difference.

Anyone have any thoughts?
I have a screaming eagle air cleaner, decatted headers, 4in Rinehart's using a fp3. It's doesn't pop much unless I'm hard on the throttle. But I know I have an exhaust leak on my crossover. Hopefully I fix the exhaust leak soon.

I would check your exhaust for leaks first. 1. Headers gasket, make sure the nuts are torque to spec, crossover pipe has a gasket, maybe hitting it with a mallet damage it.

A good way to check for leaks is by pressuring the exhaust system. spray dishwashing soap around the exhaust connection. Then stick a vacuum (exhaust side) and blow air into the muffler and use a hand or something to block the other muffler. If you have a leak you'll see bubbles.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:38 AM
Gunnysgt
Grand HDF Member
Received 502 Likes on 246 Posts

If you check Harley specs on the crossover torque is is 30 ft lbs I think, while the muffler inlet is about 40 ft lbs. Make sure the pipe is seated fully up to that bulge in the pipe, then torque it properly. If you grossly over torque muffler and crossover connections, you can make them out of round and that will cause leaks. As previously mentioned, decel popping is often a sign of improper tune usually a lean condition.

Old 10-22-2015, 12:18 PM
dproto09
Tourer

Originally Posted by Gunnysgt
If you check Harley specs on the crossover torque is is 30 ft lbs I think, while the muffler inlet is about 40 ft lbs. Make sure the pipe is seated fully up to that bulge in the pipe, then torque it properly. If you grossly over torque muffler and crossover connections, you can make them out of round and that will cause leaks. As previously mentioned, decel popping is often a sign of improper tune usually a lean condition.
My clamp is still leaking what am I doing wrong?

I replace my crossover gasket and clamp and I still have a leak at crossover pipe. I torque the clamp to 30lbs. How far do I slide the crossover pipe onto the header. Can anyone take a good picture of their placement or explain it better.