Sponsored by:

USB Connection to Radio

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 08:37 AM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 215 Posts
Default USB Connection to Radio

I have yet another Radio question. (I have the 4.3)

When I plug my iPhone into the the USB port, it starts charging right away, but it doesn't seem to play through the connection. It wont play until the Bluetooth connection is established. It gets a little annoying having to wait the min or 2 before I can que up my tunes, especially when I am riding with a group. They all sit there waiting for me to get my music playing.I know I can do this on the fly, but I usually lead, and use my GPS from the phone (I like to hear the turn by turn through my speakers)

I would think a direct connection via the USB would be immediate, so I know I have to be missing something in the settings. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Old 10-17-2015, 09:15 AM
RG Pilot
Road Warrior
Received 273 Likes on 202 Posts

When you go into "Menu" when your iPhone is connected to USB and select "Media", what do you see? Do you have two options? I'm not sure because I always leave my iPod Nano connected and I leave it there all the time. When I select "Menu" and "Media", I have two selections; iPhone and iPod. If I select iPod, it plays the iPod through USB and if I select iPhone, it will play the iPhone through Bluetooth. If you have two selections, one will be Bluetooth and one will be USB and one might say "iPod" since your phone is essentially an iPod too. Not sure but if I have a chance I'll try mine that way and see what it says.

Old 10-17-2015, 06:42 PM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,696 Likes on 1,029 Posts

I believe that even a USB connection takes a little time to upload (also depends on the size of the flash drive)

I for example use a 16GB USB. This is always connected to my bike. When I turn the bike on, it begins to find the USP and read it. The radio is instant. The GPS also takes a little time to orientate itself.

I simply pull off and turn the media on if it has not come up by then.

Old 10-17-2015, 06:49 PM
zoozoo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,139 Likes on 7,980 Posts

Originally Posted by '14 Limited
When you go into "Menu" when your iPhone is connected to USB and select "Media", what do you see? Do you have two options? I'm not sure because I always leave my iPod Nano connected and I leave it there all the time. When I select "Menu" and "Media", I have two selections; iPhone and iPod. If I select iPod, it plays the iPod through USB and if I select iPhone, it will play the iPhone through Bluetooth. If you have two selections, one will be Bluetooth and one will be USB and one might say "iPod" since your phone is essentially an iPod too. Not sure but if I have a chance I'll try mine that way and see what it says.
I may be wrong about this but I think if you plug your iPhone into the boom, music will play through the usb and every thing else with the iPhone uses bluetooth.

Old 10-17-2015, 06:57 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 215 Posts

Thanks guys,

Even with the phone plugged in to the USB, I only see 1 thing listed (my phone) under the media menu. When I select it it gives a message that it is not connected via Bluetooth and to wait until it connects. Idk, maybe I will try turning off the Bluetooth and see if it's quicker with the USB only.

I'm learning how to use this thing, and it is getting better, still some thing I need to figure out yet.

Old 10-17-2015, 08:14 PM
zoozoo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,139 Likes on 7,980 Posts

If you have your iPod connected to the usb the only way to listen to music with your iPhone is bluetooth. Your phone calls are all through bluetooth even you have the iPhone plugged into the usb. I have the iPhone with 128 gb and it holds more music than I have so my iPhone is always plugged into the usb so it will not run down the battery playing music or talking on the phone. Make sure your iPhone's bluetooth is paired with your Boom Box. Go to page 93 in the Boom box owner's manual and read all about it.

Old 10-17-2015, 09:46 PM
Gwaxley
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I always have the iPhone plugged in the usb, and never connect with Bluetooth. The iPhone plays everything and excepts call plunged in to the usb. I use Bluetooth to connect to the tuner.
You may try this, shut down the phone and restart, chose the play list or Pandora or what ever you want to play and pause the song, plug the phone in to the usb and turn the bike to start chose your phone from media and the song you paused should start playing.

After you get use to using your phone there are other ways to play music but this way is a sure test. Today I answered two calls and put it on speaker on the phone and talked with no issues, it use to not do that?

Last edited by Gwaxley; 10-17-2015 at 09:52 PM.
Old 10-18-2015, 01:37 PM
HotredJohn
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default File limitations for USB drive

Has anyone experienced a limitation with the number of music files on the USB drive. I think I hit a limit, previously I was using an 8 GB drive that held about 1,350 songs. When I upgraded to a 16GB drive and loaded up about 1,650 songs the radio would never stop "reading the drive".

Is there a maximum number of songs that can reside on the USB drive?

John

Old 10-18-2015, 01:54 PM
john31224
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have 1709 songs on my usb with 58 playlists referencing them. You just need to wait until it has read the whole USB stick. Probably 10 minutes or so if my memory serves me.

Old 10-18-2015, 03:48 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 576 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by HotredJohn
Has anyone experienced a limitation with the number of music files on the USB drive. I think I hit a limit, previously I was using an 8 GB drive that held about 1,350 songs. When I upgraded to a 16GB drive and loaded up about 1,650 songs the radio would never stop "reading the drive".

Is there a maximum number of songs that can reside on the USB drive?

John
The limit is 64Gb of storage. I currently have 2600+ songs on a 16Gb USB drive. I did have 5000+ songs on a 32Gb USB drive, but it took too long to load so I compromised between size/selection and load time/performance.

Quick Reply: USB Connection to Radio