Sponsored by:

Road King vs Street Glide Special

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 10:33 AM
skm348
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Road King vs Street Glide Special

Hello all - I'm looking for some objective feedback between the two models. I currently have a '13 Heritage Softail Classic which I love but am really wanting hard bags, the new Rushmore enhancements, and more exhaust options that come with the touring models.

I guess my main question is do I really need the fairing? I'm not interested in listening to music and my phone has the GPS functionality. I realize there's more wind protection but how much more - 25%-35%? If the fairing is night & day better over the windshield it will make a big difference but I don't at all mind the wind that I currently get with my HSC, as that's part of the overall experience for me.

I'd be configuring the RK with ABS, two-up seat, backrest and luggage rack. I'm also figuring I'd save ~$5-6k over the SGS/RGS

I have plenty of time to decide as I'm planning my purchase at the end of 2016, most likely for a leftover '16 unless the '17s have some new color or enhancement that my wife and i like. BTW, she has never really cared for the look of the fairing (I like them) but now says she's coming around to it. Her main comment to me is don't get the RK if you're just going to want a fairing in the end.

One more thing..I will obviously test ride before I buy and I'll also consider the Road Glide Special.

Thanks in advance for your comments!

Last edited by skm348; 11-22-2015 at 02:14 PM.
Old 11-22-2015, 10:49 AM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 632 Likes on 504 Posts

take the wife and test ride em both. for 2 up limited all the way. the liquid cooling rocks. and your going to pony up for a tour pack anyway?

Old 11-22-2015, 10:51 AM
Springerfan
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

These happen to be my 2 favorite Harley models. Even though I ride a SGS, if you are not wanting the stereo and GPS it seems like a no-brainer in favor of the Road King. Especially coming from a Heritage I would think that you would be very comfortable on the RK and it is one of the best "bargains" of the HD touring models.

Old 11-22-2015, 10:54 AM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 632 Likes on 504 Posts

for the sg 2 up you'll get 12 v 13 inch shocks and she will hate the sg seat.

Old 11-22-2015, 11:04 AM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 540 Likes on 395 Posts

I agree a RK should be a good fit for you. If you decide later you need a fairing with or without a radio. An aftermarket quick detachable fairing is available from several places. I sometimes miss riding without a shield or fairing, but then when riding on the hiway I realize why I have 1. I just got tired of the wind blast above 60mph. I can do a lot more miles in a day and not feel as beat up afterwards with a fairing. Either kind barn door or fugly. They both knock down the wind better than a shield does IMHO.

Old 11-22-2015, 11:45 AM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Just traded my 2013 RK for a SGS and I found the wind protection is better on the RK as far as wind buffeting and the ride is plusher.I wanted the infotainment unit and a sleeker look so I choose the SGS. I had to upgrade the wind screen right away and not sure what I want to do for the rear suspension being so stiff. For the money,the new RK is the best deal in its price range.

Old 11-22-2015, 11:51 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by skm348
I guess my main question is do I really need the fairing?
If you've never had one, no. But you are the only one that can make that decision.

And as far as music.... Once you have it, you won't want to be without it.... at least for 99% of us that stands true.

Old 11-22-2015, 12:15 PM
Longridertx
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 99 Posts

As has been stated, only you can make the decision. There are pros and cons for each model. Those that ride a particular model tend to think what they ride is the best because it fits or suits them. Not saying they are right or wrong. If at all possible ride each one back to back with your wife to get a feel for each model you are considering.
That said, I went from an 11 Road King to an 15 Ultra Classic. Loved the RK and the Ultra is really growing on me. There are things about my old RK that I miss. There are also things about my new Ultra that I am really liking......the radio and the tour pack to name a couple. Yes these are things that can be added to the RK. It's all about your riding style and wants/needs. Good luck with your decision.

Old 11-22-2015, 12:31 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 601 Likes on 324 Posts

I just purchased my 3rd Road King a 16 in Black of course. I prefer no fairing,and no gauges. I love my music and have a GPS with XM radio and wear wired ear buds. I have always felt that a fairing took away from the looks of any motorcycle add weight up top while maneuvering slowly. The gauges and radio seem to present a lot of issues according to the amount of people posting problems on this site. The windshield has always provided plenty of cover for me from the wind and rain.. Whatever you decide on I am sure that you will enjoy it ..

Old 11-22-2015, 01:01 PM
Dynamite17
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by skm348
Hello all - I'm looking for some objective feedback between the two models. I currently have a '13 Heritage Softail Classic which I love but am really wanting hard bags, the new Rushmore enhancements, and more exhaust options that come with the touring models.

I guess my main question is do I really need the fairing? I'm not interested in listening to music and my phone has the GPS functionality. I realize there's more wind protection but how much more - 25%-35%? If the fairing is night & day better over the windshield it will make a big difference but I don't at all mind the wind that I currently get with my HSC, as that's part of the overall experience for me.

I'd be configuring the RK with ABS, two-up seat, backrest and luggage rack. I'm also figuring I'd save ~$7-8K over the SGS.

I have plenty of time to decide as I'm planning my purchase at the end of 2016, most likely for a leftover '16 unless the '17s have some new color or enhancement that my wife and i like. BTW, she has never really cared for the look of the fairing (I like them) but now says she's coming around to it. Her main comment to me is don't get the RK if you're just going to want a fairing in the end.

One more thing..I will obviously test ride before I buy and I'll also consider the Road Glide Special.

Thanks in advance for your comments!
As for the GPS, you are probably better with a Garmin GPS like the ZUMO. Besides a much better interface and lifetime uopgrades, you can take it inside, set up all your waypoints and plan routes with free Mapsource or Basecamp. Then use it in your car if you want too. RAM makes a great mount and I modified the cable JUST for the 12V DC power. The '14 RK did not have the liq cooling and still has cable clutch. Those changes on the other touring models are where all the problems arose.

Quick Reply: Road King vs Street Glide Special