Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage 1 is done

Old 12-12-2015, 05:54 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts
Default Stage 1 is done

As is so often the case, I really was going to leave this thing stock for a while......And then.....

So I already had a PV. $200 for a new license, $30 for the new cable, and what the heck, $150 for a Jackpot air cleaner. The bike ran well that way. Then I found both a used Jackpot headpipe and a Fullsac DX headpipe used......I was able to wrangle the DX for $300. And a stock set of 2015 CVO take-off mufflers for $200. Jamie sent me a tune and...

With a few adjustments to the VEs, and a couple of timing changes, and man....This is a nice combination. It sounds great inside my modular helmet. Nice and deep, but not too loud. I'm sure I'm leaving some power on the table with these mufflers, but a couple of horsepower here or there just doesn't make much of a difference on a 900 pound bike. The mufflers look fantastic and the sound is good and the bike will easily bust the century mark and broke the back tire loose on a damp road tonight. Very, very pleased, I've got a stock-looking exhaust with EPA stamps, and the price was reasonable.

Attached Thumbnails Stage 1 is done-image.jpeg  
Old 12-12-2015, 09:39 PM
jd05flhtci
Road Warrior
Received 311 Likes on 249 Posts

Not worried about warranty?

Old 12-13-2015, 06:54 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,829 Likes on 1,209 Posts

05Train,
That is the same Stage1 I have but using the Fuel Moto head pipe. I did a couple of auto tunes using Jamie's map (I leave the PV off the bike). My long term report:
The bike runs good, powerful, smooth and no issues. Maybe a ear bleed loud Stage1 bike can edge me out, but not by much, we will probably never know because this is a comfort bike. I love the tone, good balance of noise and rumble, not all rumble or all noise. My neighbors still love me and I'm not hated on the streets.
The system is easy to install, and looks good, I like the Harley look and don't need to change everything. It's not as expensive as other systems and convertible if I choose to use Fullsac muffler inserts. Police don't take a second look except to admire my beautiful bike.
So, I understand why you would want to post about your wonderful Stage1.

Happy riding,
Mike

PS: Going to be 70 degrees in the Zoo again today, the animals will be out!

Last edited by OldMike; 12-13-2015 at 06:57 AM.
Old 12-13-2015, 09:06 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by jd05flhtci
Not worried about warranty?
Nope. Nothing I've done will have any impact on the warranty.

Old 12-13-2015, 09:52 AM
jinxwolf73
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by '05Train

I actually called the dealer on this exact issue as I am about to do my stage 1 myself and wanted to make sure it would not impact my warranty and I was told it would be fine. I was kind of surprised but not going to argue it. Got them to send me written acknowledgement on that as well.

Old 12-13-2015, 10:25 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Sounds like a nice combo. That's the kind of results I'd be happy with.

Old 12-13-2015, 10:46 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Thingfish
Sounds like a nice combo. That's the kind of results I'd be happy with.
One of the nice benefits of riding a much more powerful bike for a while (I had a BMW K1600 GTL) was realizing that spending a ton of money and time on making a few more horsepower on a Harley was pretty silly. Rather than trying to wring every scrap of power out of a Harley, I'd rather focus on how it looks, feels, and sounds.

This is a great combination that makes decent power and won't blow your eardrums out.

Old 12-13-2015, 11:00 AM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,284 Likes on 1,903 Posts

One of the nice benefits of riding a much more powerful bike for a while (I had a BMW K1600 GTL) was realizing that spending a ton of money and time on making a few more horsepower on a Harley was pretty silly. Rather than trying to wring every scrap of power out of a Harley, I'd rather focus on how it looks, feels, and sounds.

This is a great combination that makes decent power and won't blow your eardrums out.
I'm like you, quite happy with my stage one: V&H Power Duals, Monster Ovals, Arlen Ness Big Sucker AC and DynoJet Power Vision. We have 2 bikes with this set up and I auto tuned mine several times, (playing around), and AT'd the wife's 3 times. I have no desire to get the bike dynoed as they run great.
I would recommend the PV to anyone thinking about buying a tuner.

Old 12-13-2015, 04:42 PM
jd05flhtci
Road Warrior
Received 311 Likes on 249 Posts

We were out yesterday enjoying the 70 degree weather yesterday and stopped at 3 different dealers and all of them told me it would void my warranty. They said slip ons was fine but removing the cat would void it no questions asked.

Old 12-13-2015, 04:51 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by jinxwolf73
I actually called the dealer on this exact issue as I am about to do my stage 1 myself and wanted to make sure it would not impact my warranty and I was told it would be fine. I was kind of surprised but not going to argue it. Got them to send me written acknowledgement on that as well.
As long as you only deal with your local service dept you should be just fine... when and IF any issues may or may not arise is when your away from home and have a major warranty issue and That dealer questions it and the third party inspector gets involved????

This issue has been really beat to death here on the WWW - I tour a lot and its the 'Other' dealers that worry me - Especially when the ESP kicks in - Your set up sounds nice and chances are you will not have any issues.. I did buy the ESP and have reached the age of (I really am just going to leave 99% of it alone this time)

Your written documentation should be interesting

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stage 1 is done