Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sirius / XM Radio Module

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 05:05 PM
FinalShot
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

We tried it on the wife's bike. We did the math and figured it out to be about 65 megs a hour for use. It seemed to fluctuate between 50 and 75 for an hour.

The real problem was coverage. Even though the cell companies like to color their maps all one color and say they are 4g coverage in the whole milky way, they are not. She spent time fumbling with her phone on longer rides and finally gave up. I bought her the module and she's been happy since.

Old 03-02-2016, 05:17 PM
Dsm Limited
Received 8,153 Likes on 2,934 Posts

As you have gathered by now, it's extra.

I'll say this, it's real easy to install. I did it in my dealers parking lot. The general manager wasn't happy about it, but I was. They wanted to charge me an hour labor. The service writer watched me install it, he had never done one. Took about 20 minutes to do.

The module mounts in the back of the radio head unit. It's like installing a pc card in a desktop computer. 2 #10 torx screws, if I remember correctly. I ran my antenna outside of the fairing for better reception. Other threads had done complaining about reception, so I fixed that problem.

Old 03-02-2016, 05:22 PM
FinalShot
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dsm Limited

I'll say this, it's real easy to install. I did it in my dealers parking lot. The general manager wasn't happy about it, but I was. They wanted to charge me an hour labor. The service writer watched me install it, he had never done one. Took about 20 minutes to do.

The module mounts in the back of the radio head unit. It's like installing a pc card in a desktop computer. 2 #10 torx screws, if I remember correctly. I ran my antenna outside of the fairing for better reception. Other threads had done complaining about reception, so I fixed that problem.
I had problems on my CVO but have not on the wife's SGS but I think that's because it has a newer style antenna. here's my thread about it:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/new-r...m-antenna.html

Old 03-02-2016, 06:52 PM
YPD485
Stellar HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 135 Posts

Just be advised that the Harley Sirius/XM Module only has about 1 second of buffer built into it so it will lose the signal even at 60 mph under an overpass. Harley should have went with a longer buffer like 5-10 seconds like all vehicle manufacturers have done, but they chose to save a few pennies on each module. Other than that problem, it's great to have it built into the bike.

Old 03-02-2016, 06:59 PM
dsw1519
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ This. Very simple to install. Moving the antenna similar to where it is placed in the picture is key to great reception.

Old 03-03-2016, 07:40 AM
dixonk
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,508 Likes on 3,579 Posts

I have mine in the spot in the instructions and get full 3 bars.

Old 03-03-2016, 10:22 AM
Afdharley
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This issue has been talked about before but I'm experiencing it on a regular basis now. The unit will cut out and switch to AM. When I go back to select XM it is not available for a few seconds, then comes back and I can return to sat radio. When it's not available it says "set up" in the menus where it should show XM.

I thought it was due to heat build up but it is now doing it in all weather conditions.

I don't think I'll renew the subscription this time around.

This is on a 15 CVO Roadglide Ultra.

Old 03-03-2016, 10:24 AM
TomboAT65
Tourer
Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Pass, I will use the Sirius app on my phone. To me it isn't worth the $300 for the module, plus the subscription for 2 vehicles. If I lose signal I will just switch over to the music on my phone. Only usually lose the signal way up in the mountains.

Also noticed the module doesn't show up under audio on the H-D site anymore.

Last edited by TomboAT65; 03-03-2016 at 10:26 AM.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:39 AM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 796 Likes on 623 Posts

I moved mine to a speaker bracket the reception is better. However, when you run an aftermarket sound system the sound quality of Sirius XM versus that of a USB stick or streaming Pandora really sounds weak. Furthermore, I bought the XM module and a pay for the service so I still use it.

The following users liked this post:
Bushy (05-27-2021)
Old 03-03-2016, 01:22 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by TomboAT65

Also noticed the module doesn't show up under audio on the H-D site anymore.

It does for me. I just looked.
http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...lite-radio-kit

Quick Reply: Sirius / XM Radio Module