Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive Monotube 31-4001

Old 03-18-2016, 02:29 PM
Towbar
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Progressive Monotube 31-4001

Hi everyone, first post here, been reading an learning a bunch from this forum for many years though.

Bought this kit about a month ago for my 14 SGS and have been fighting with it for about the past 2 weeks. Installed at the 1" lowered position and once the forks are reinstalled and hanging fully extended, the spring side (primary side) is about 1/2-5/8" longer than the shock side (intake side). Have had it back apart 4 times and everything seems to be installed per the Progressive instructions.

Using the stock bottoming cup, 2 bottoming springs on each side. Spring side has a PVC spacer at the top, a solid disc and the preload screw. Shock side basically just screws in and that's it. The instructions indicate that the spring side may appear to be longer, but its so much that I cant install the axle and wheel.

All Progressive tech has told me while eating his "samich" is that I have installed it incorrectly, then told me that its engineered that way so I needed to jack the long side up so it'll fit.

Purchased from Phat Performance, went back to them and wanted to send it back for a refund because I felt uneasy about how safe it would be being installed that way, plus the hassle of trying to jack everything in place....don't feel it should be that way. Phat said that they couldn't give me a refund on used parts. Well, how do you know a pair of pants don't fit if you don't try them on? So for now I have a unicycle!

Anyone else had similar troubles with fitment? Or is this one unique...or have I done something incorrectly?

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-18-2016, 04:04 PM
Surfcitydude
Cruiser
Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Seems to me, if the retailer won't take them back and your not satisfied from Progressive, we need to know here. There's no excuse for that kind of customer service and buyers need to know. Keep us informed. I was actually considering a set of their inserts but now I think I'll look elsewhere. Hope things workout for you.

Old 03-18-2016, 07:51 PM
Towbar
2nd Gear

At this point, I'm certainly disappointed with the Progressive Monotube and Phat Performance. I could have lied to Phat Performance and told them that it had never been installed, cleaned it up and shipped it right to them, but that isn't me. Customer service was less than what I expected from them to say the least. Its been installed but never on the ground with 0 miles, suppose that constitutes "used" in their eyes, never mind the fact that they have a customer that is less than content.

But for now, it's what I have and I'm looking for advice or guidance from other members who have made it work, had issues or had no issues at all.

Old 03-19-2016, 05:00 AM
Echo6 Sierra
Road Captain
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

I just had a similar issue with Race Tech; check out the thread if you have a few and want a good laugh.

I ended up sending their mess back to them for a refund. I never did get a chance to install it because of all the problems I had. I called them and told them I was returning it, that they were NOT going to charge me their 20% restocking fee and that they were going to send me a prepaid label.

If I were you I'd call your credit card company and dispute the charge. I've had to do that a few times and they took care of everything for me. I've bought from Phat Performance before and had no issues, but now I'll think twice before placing another order with them.

I put the Legend -1" kit in my bike and so far it feels good. I got it from Steve at Direct Cycle Parts; give him a call, he's good to go.

Old 03-19-2016, 07:51 AM
legoiii
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Towbar
Hi everyone, first post here, been reading an learning a bunch from this forum for many years though.

Bought this kit about a month ago for my 14 SGS and have been fighting with it for about the past 2 weeks. Installed at the 1" lowered position and once the forks are reinstalled and hanging fully extended, the spring side (primary side) is about 1/2-5/8" longer than the shock side (intake side). Have had it back apart 4 times and everything seems to be installed per the Progressive instructions.

Using the stock bottoming cup, 2 bottoming springs on each side. Spring side has a PVC spacer at the top, a solid disc and the preload screw. Shock side basically just screws in and that's it. The instructions indicate that the spring side may appear to be longer, but its so much that I cant install the axle and wheel.

All Progressive tech has told me while eating his "samich" is that I have installed it incorrectly, then told me that its engineered that way so I needed to jack the long side up so it'll fit.

Purchased from Phat Performance, went back to them and wanted to send it back for a refund because I felt uneasy about how safe it would be being installed that way, plus the hassle of trying to jack everything in place....don't feel it should be that way. Phat said that they couldn't give me a refund on used parts. Well, how do you know a pair of pants don't fit if you don't try them on? So for now I have a unicycle!

Anyone else had similar troubles with fitment? Or is this one unique...or have I done something incorrectly?

Thanks in advance!

Towbar, I had the same exact problem that you have. I took mine apart twice because I could not get my front axle through. It is normal for one side to be shorter when you put the forks back. it is a PIA, to get the fork jacked in place and maintain the spacer placement. I even tried to pull the short side down/under tension while on jack stand and nearly destroyed my bike, thank god for the straps. I could get the axle all that way through the spacer to the other side, but not the fork itself because of hole alignment.
Now, I do not recommend you or anyone else to do this on your bike but this is what I did on my bike, after day two and no other options and unable to get my bike towed to a shop because I did not have a front tire on it. l put some ant seize grease on axle and I used a rubber mallet and knock the hell out of the axle about 15 times, observing the slightest movement each time, until it went through. Very scary though, but it worked and no damage.

Last edited by legoiii; 03-19-2016 at 07:54 AM.
Old 03-19-2016, 08:37 AM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

I put Progressive Mono-tubes, stock height on my scoot - went in without an issue, any chance you put the stock spring in by mistake?
If no, I would pull the spring, measure it and ask Progressive if it's the correct one before reassembly...

Old 03-19-2016, 09:06 AM
legoiii
Cruiser

Originally Posted by JMC22
I put Progressive Mono-tubes, stock height on my scoot - went in without an issue, any chance you put the stock spring in by mistake?
If no, I would pull the spring, measure it and ask Progressive if it's the correct one before reassembly...
I may be wrong but I think the difference is we both went with 1" drop, that may have caused the difference in length of the forks.

Last edited by legoiii; 03-19-2016 at 09:20 AM.
Old 03-19-2016, 12:46 PM
Towbar
2nd Gear

legoiii.....Yep, mine installed at 1" drop, think that may be common ground. I feel this whole set up wasn't thought through very well by Progressive.

It shouldn't be such a hassle to install the front wheel, every time the tire is replaced then its the same deal.

mine has been apart for about 3 weeks now, I'm very unhappy with it.......trying to decide what to do since I cant get the seller to stand behind what they sell.

Old 03-19-2016, 08:18 PM
legoiii
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Towbar
legoiii.....Yep, mine installed at 1" drop, think that may be common ground. I feel this whole set up wasn't thought through very well by Progressive.

It shouldn't be such a hassle to install the front wheel, every time the tire is replaced then its the same deal.

mine has been apart for about 3 weeks now, I'm very unhappy with it.......trying to decide what to do since I cant get the seller to stand behind what they sell.
I feel you. Try my method. I think secretly that is probably what the service techs do sometimes in the shop to our bikes LOL. I think once(if) you get it on you will be happy with it.

Old 03-19-2016, 10:03 PM
Towbar
2nd Gear

Today, I swapped sides with the spring and shock, putting the spring side on the right (intake side) and the shock on the left (primary side). In my train of thought since the long side is now the side the axle installs from, I can at least get my axle through the spacer, the wheel, the abs sensor......then use the weight of the bike as I lower the jack to self align the axle with the shock side (short side) then tap the axle through?

Didn't have any help in the shop today to help hold everything steady.....so I didn't get to see if my logic worked or not....maybe tomorrow??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Progressive Monotube 31-4001