Sponsored by:

Progressive Suspension downplayed by my dealer

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 12:48 AM
JoeAverage
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Question Progressive Suspension downplayed by my dealer

Had my 1000 mile service today and was asking the dealer about the Progressive Suspension, specifically the 944 rear shocks and the mono cartridge for my 16 Limited. They said the 944 rear shocks were awesome but said they've only installed four Progressive mono cartridge applications and each instance the customer asked for it to be removed after only a few miles. He said the customers complained they rode terrible and would lock up.

I've done a little research on these and the fork oil amount shouldn't be more than 300cc's or it will cause the fork to hydro lock. It seems the only reason for oil in the fork with the cartridge setup is for lubrication only, no dampening needed. That's all in the cartridge.

Plus they wanted four hours labor and said the fairing had to be removed but from what I understand you can just pop out the ignition and that switch cover where the passing lights switch is and the pinch bolts are right there. They said they would have to change the seals too which doesn't make sense to me since everything should come right out the top of the tube, no reason to separate the lowers.

I've heard a lot of good things about these Progressives and just wondering if the dealer is saying this to push the Harley parts. I figured the Progressive cartridges a good match for the 944 shocks.

Old 03-20-2016, 08:51 AM
RJI11LTD
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just installed the Progressive mono shock on my 15 limited as I did chrome lowers a few weeks ago. Due to Indiana weather I have only been able to get a couple rides in but the ride seems to be firmer, no nose dive on braking and so far I think it is a better ride. Time will tell if this stays true. The rear shocks are still factory air shocks for now.

As for the install, the only reason I see to remove outer fairing is to unplug the fender tip light to remove front fender. You can reach the pinch bolts under the switch cover just by loosening it, however removing it is easy and gives more room.

All parts remove out the top of fork tube but must remove the allen bolt in the bottom of the fork to remove it, new copper crush washers under these bolts will be needed. If you can be very careful and not damage seal, you can probably get away without replacing them. New seals are inexpensive and easy to change.

Yes 300cc of oil is only needed for lubrication.

I enjoy wrenching on my own bikes and would not be paying dealer 4 hours labor. I probably took that long on mine but it was a day in shop tinkering on it so not in a hurry.

Good luck with it

Old 03-20-2016, 09:24 AM
plongson
Road Master
Received 326 Likes on 151 Posts

Don't know why the dealer had such a negative view of the Progressive mono-tube. I installed over the winter and now have at least 1000 miles on them. I chromed out the forks at the same time.

My review...

Mostly easy to install, be sure they included and you install the Progressive rebound spring. It is suppose to eliminate the "Clunk" reported by some riders. I do not have the rebound spring installed and I HAVE NOT experienced the "CLUNK"...go figure.

The ride is much better. Hard to explain but it seems to compress over a road event (pot hole, sharp edge bump, cattle guard) and then rebound quicker than stock resulting in a smoother ride.

They seem no stiffer than stock to me and diving was not an issue before so I cannot comment there either.

Change out the seals and copper crush washers. Their cheap...

Never rode the high dollar cartridges and I don't road-race the TK so all I'll say is the Progressive are VERY worthy the $$$ in my opinion. I happy with them...

Old 03-20-2016, 10:12 AM
JoeAverage
Cruiser
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the response.

Old 03-20-2016, 10:28 AM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,548 Likes on 667 Posts

Just hope you never have to deal with Progressive's customer service, its a joke.

Old 03-20-2016, 04:47 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

Those looking for a great front suspension upgrade without spending a fortune; I recommend Legend's new AXEO front suspension. Each side is the same. Easy install, I was quoted 1.5 to 2 hours by Legand to install. My HD dealer charged me 2 hours labor. The AXEO front suspension is adjustable to your weight. Lifetime warranty, American made and great service. Check out the reviews online, just Google it.

Old 03-21-2016, 04:49 AM
Echo6 Sierra
Road Captain
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by scottt
Those looking for a great front suspension upgrade without spending a fortune; I recommend Legend's new AXEO front suspension. Each side is the same. Easy install, I was quoted 1.5 to 2 hours by Legand to install. My HD dealer charged me 2 hours labor. The AXEO front suspension is adjustable to your weight. Lifetime warranty, American made and great service. Check out the reviews online, just Google it.
Just did this last week while I was having my lowers powder coated black. I initially went with the Race Tech kit, but the whole thing was messed up. Some parts were missing, some wrong, and I had extra stuff I didn't even need. The AXEO kit and Direct Cycle Parts was my solution. Kit was easy to install and rides well. I would definitely recommend this upgrade.