Sponsored by:

GPS issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 01:03 PM
jeffdag
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default GPS issue

I've searched for this issue - unsuccessfully.

I am experiencing is with ANY route I make, once I load it into the bike (2014 street glide special) and start to use the route with the GPS the GPS makes changes to the route. I can not get the route to stay exactly as I routed it. I've tried changing the GPS settings to shortest, twistiest, etc. still the GPS just seems to do its own thing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 05-09-2016, 01:19 PM
White Ice
Stellar HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 184 Posts

If you're making the route in HD Ride Planner. Create your start & finish points, then create points in between, right click on them and convert to waypoints.

Old 05-09-2016, 01:26 PM
jeffdag
Advanced

Thanks for your help. They are already waypoints. DO you mean right click and change to locations?

Using the waypoints to "shape" the route.

Old 05-09-2016, 01:50 PM
rwven
Road Master
Received 232 Likes on 177 Posts

You have to plot enough waypoints to force the route to go where you want it. The GPS routes from one waypoint to the next and will choose the route taken based on the preferences you have set in the GPS i.e. shortest distance, fastest time, scenic, twisty and the avoidances i.e. highways, tolls, ferries, U-turns....

The following users liked this post:
jeffdag (05-09-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 01:51 PM
GaJayhawk
Tourer
Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

As suggested, you need to first start in Ride Planner by setting your start and finish locations, then set enough waypoints to force Ride Planner to follow the route you want. Then, as you noted, you need to go into your Navigation Preferences on the bike for the GPS and change it from "Fastest" or "Shortest" to either "Scenic" or "Twisties".

When you export a route from Ride Planner to a GPX file, all it exports are the locations and waypoints. The GPS uses its own algorithms to plot the route between the locations and waypoints based on the GPS's preference setting. After you import the GPX file into your Nav system and then select it, you can test the routing by viewing the route in the Nav system after it is calculated but before you hit "Go". If the GPS still doesn't plot exactly what you planned, change the GPS preference setting, recalculate the route and view it again. If that still doesn't give you what you want, go back to Ride Planner and add additional waypoints at places near where the GPS is deviating from your wish. Then re-export a new GPX file and import it into your bike's GPS, and try it again.

If you use the Sirius/XM Traffic option on your Boombox and you have the Traffic alert setting turned on along with the Automatic option for rerouting around traffic backups, this could also affect your desired routing.

It seems all route planning softwares and GPSs operate independently, regardless of brand. Some seem to work better together than others, but they all have this issue to some extent.

The following users liked this post:
jeffdag (05-09-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 02:04 PM
jeffdag
Advanced

Thanks! Will try all suggestions.