Sponsored by:

Ohlins 2-2A and FKC 102 Cartridge Installation

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 05:13 PM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,663 Likes on 2,675 Posts
Default Ohlins 2-2A and NIX 30mm Installation

This thread is going to be heavily edited to keep my posts on topic and informative. The first change is that the thread is no longer about the install of FKC 101/102 cartridges. If you plan to install those, DO NOT GRIND THE END OF YOUR FORK TUBES AS I DID BELOW. This thread will now be about the installation of Ohlins NIX 30mm cartridge front suspension

When doing my research on suspension upgrades I found a ton of information on the conversion of Dyna front ends, but very little regarding putting Ohlins cartridges in a Rushmore. This will be a comprehensive thread covering the purchase, installation, set up and a product review once installed.

I purchased a used set of Ohlins 2-2A's from a forum member. They were built by Howard at Motorcycle Metal and have approximately 5k miles on them. The install of the rear shocks was straight forward. I have not been able to complete the setup due to the front end being disassembled at this point.

The NIX 30mm's were purchased from Howard directly. I viewed the videos on his website to familiarize myself with the disassembly and reassembly procedures. I like to have all of the tools and parts required to do a job ahead of time, but I found myself a little behind the curve on this one. Hopefully this thread will help others not end up in the same boat.

Tools to have on hand in addition to your normal selection of Harley Torx heads and hex bit wrenches:
Fork level oil gauge -
Amazon.com: Motion Pro 08-0121 Fork Oil Level Tool: Automotive Amazon.com: Motion Pro 08-0121 Fork Oil Level Tool: Automotive

Long 12mm hex bit socket -http://www.tannerbolt.com/default.aspx?page=item+detail&itemcode=PRO%20J5441-12MXL&gclid=Cj0KEQjw9tW5BRDk29KDnqWu4fMBEiQAKj7sp3 o76lpQZ0NMjSX_LX2ASDK5LxEBmnCuZwuiDxs-PnMaAhS78P8HAQ

19mm Hex bit Socket

Adjustable Pin Spanner wrench: Found mine at Harbor Freight

I recommend watching Amy's videos on Howard's website. The high points I'm mentioning here are just supplemental hints that might help. The forks come off the bike fairly simply. If you're used to working on older bikes, it's worth noting that the fender nuts are now welded in place. No more nut locking tabs to fool with. There are two fork clamps holding each fork in place. I lowered the forks to the second clamp and then loosened the caps. This required a 19mm hex bit socket. You want to have this on hand as well as a 12mm long hex bit socket. Both of these tools can be difficult to find locally. I couldn't find them at Sears, Advance, O'reilly's, but wound up finding both at Harbor Freight.

Unfortunately, The "long 12mm" was too short.

Never fear... I have a tool for that.

Additionally, you need a section 1", 1.5" and 2" PVC pipe to use as drivers.

I cut a small piece of the 2" off and split it. I used it as soft jaws for the vise when holding the fork tube. After grinding the ends off and disassembling you're left with this:

That's as far as we've gotten at the moment. I'm patiently* waiting for my package to arrive from Florida. I'll update with more pics and details of the install and set up once they are received.

Last edited by FNGonaRK; 05-17-2016 at 11:01 AM.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:43 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

Grinding the ends off? Of what?

Oh, and I hate you. This thread is going to cost me my marriage.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:06 PM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by '05Train
Grinding the ends off? Of what?

Oh, and I hate you. This thread is going to cost me my marriage.
The ends of the tubes have a pressed in retainer ring that you have to remove in order to press out the old check valve. I was nervous doing it, but a flap sanding disc on a 5" grinder made short work of it. Flipped it over, dropped in the 1" PVC pipe and with a couple hammer hits the rest of the internals were on the floor.

Oh, if this costs you money, consider it a payback for all of your posts about your Ohlins in the rear!

Old 05-09-2016, 06:45 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by FNGonaRK
Oh, if this costs you money, consider it a payback for all of your posts about your Ohlins in the rear!
Damn karma....

Old 05-09-2016, 09:45 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 440 Likes on 246 Posts
Default Answer My E-Mails

Originally Posted by FNGonaRK
When doing my research on suspension upgrades I found a ton of information on the conversion of Dyna front ends, but very little regarding putting Ohlins cartridges in a Rushmore. This will be a comprehensive thread covering the purchase, installation, set up and a product review once installed.

I have not been able to complete the setup due to the front end being disassembled at this point.

The FKC 102's were purchased from Howard directly.

I viewed the videos on his website to familiarize myself with the disassembly and reassembly procedures. I like to have all of the tools and parts required to do a job ahead of time, but I found myself a little behind the curve on this one. Hopefully this thread will help others not end up in the same boat.

I recommend watching Amy's videos on Howard's website. The high points I'm mentioning here are just supplemental hints that might help. The forks come off the bike fairly simply

I cut a small piece of the 2" off and split it. I used it as soft jaws for the vise when holding the fork tube.

Stop Here!!!!!!!!!!!!!
<<<<<<<<<<<<<< <> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

For FKC-102 or 101 Do not remove your check valve!!!!

That Video was made many years before the invention of the FKC101/FKC-102. If you listen very carefully it shows a 30mm Ohlins cartridge system that I have been installing in 49mm forks when they first came out. The 25mm FKC 101/102 are very different and require a check valve. Do not remove anything for proper installation of FKC-101/102.

JB I left you 2 different e-Mails yesterday evening before ever seeing this, one from my hotbike/Yahoo & the 2nd from motorcyclemetal e-Mail. Please call me. I will need to rectify your new problem for you.
--------------------------------- END -----------------

NO

After grinding the ends off and disassembling you're left with this:

That's as far as we've gotten at the moment. I'm patiently* waiting for my package to arrive from Florida. I'll update with more pics and details of the install and set up once they are received.
Answer your e-Mails or call me!!!

This is a Dyno run showing the differences side by side NIX 30mm Ohlins (red line as it is adjustable) and the FKC 102 with stock valving using the center right run. The NIX 30mm Ohlins is far more powerful than the 25mm piston found in FKC-101/102.

Last edited by FastHarley; 05-09-2016 at 09:58 PM.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:04 PM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member

Okay, so this thread just took a detour. If you are installing FKC 101-102's don't cut the end of your fork tube like I did.

If you do, you'll have to upgrade to the better NIX 30mm, or replace your fork tubes. Naturally, I chose the upgrade. I will be searching out a machine shop tomorrow to take .150" off of the threaded end of the fork tubes and then I will be awaiting my new adjustable cartridges from MM.

My stomach sunk when I read the post above. I've been excited about getting this bike back on the road. I appreciate Howard taking the late night call and getting me back on track.

Last edited by FNGonaRK; 05-17-2016 at 09:22 AM.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:47 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 440 Likes on 246 Posts
Default situation corrected

situation corrected

Inquiring minds want to know: Do not remove check valve on a FKC-101/102 installation.

The following users liked this post:
Bam15012 (05-10-2016)
Old 05-11-2016, 02:02 PM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member

New powder coated fork lowers came in. They were cleaned thoroughly and I chased the metric threads for the pinch bolt on the right fork.

Fork tubes with .150" of an inch removed for the Ohlins install.

Last edited by FNGonaRK; 05-17-2016 at 07:40 AM.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:23 PM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member

Special delivery!

You'll notice a trend of me making tools. I'm not too cheap to buy the things I need, but some of these tools would be used so rarely that it just didn't make sense. The fork clamp was one such item for me. Here is my solution, yours may be better, but this worked fine.

Last edited by FNGonaRK; 05-17-2016 at 07:44 AM.
Brewbiden (05-12-2016)
Old 05-12-2016, 04:42 PM
Brewbiden
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good timing on this thread! Stock suspension on the '16 FLHXS is a little mushy for me, I was just looking at Ohlins HD 357 for the rear and the Progressive Suspension High Perf Cartridge Kit Stck 31-4000 for the front. I'd rather go with Ohlins in the forks though...

FNGonaRK (05-21-2016)

Quick Reply: Ohlins 2-2A and FKC 102 Cartridge Installation