Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Less choices, better Quality control?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 07:43 PM
striper.seeker
Tourer

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Less choices, better Quality control?

I personally think MoCo Harley Davidson should cut back on the number of models they currently sell and get better QC and support for fewer models; those that are the most popular sellers. There are so many issues that I read about on this board and others, from GPS and BOOM! to air shocks leaking. The Rushmore series was supposed to be such an upgrade. It's been around nearly four model years now, and still issues abound and old ones remain. Some things I disklike:
1. PITA to check air pressure/put air in. My hands just don't fit under and around the rotor.
2. Gas tank spatters and air pocket develops. I'm always shaking my bike to get the air out to even reach the neck.
3. No blue tooth connection for headsets. Enough said on that.
4. Software updates suck for both maps, and the system itself. 2013 is the latest update for maps. Really? Garmin updates quarterly and it free!!
5. Multiple problems with controllers on bars after washing or getting wet.
I can go on and I'm sure I'll get blasted for this but I just needed to vent and rant. I'm sure each of you could list your own issues.
All vehicles have issues, but seems like other MoCo, whether cages or motorcycles, listen more to their customers. We are not idiots. We are usually middle class, hard working who embrace the brand. I just want to ride without issues and have the things that make a 25K motorcycle worth it. What's your bitches and gripes?
let 'er rip.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:50 PM
woodmnctry
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Couple more and relate to the Ultra Limited:

Idiotic position of the PTT button for CB and coms --- putting it on the right hand handlebars is not only total stupid but has the potential to get someone really hurt.

Daymaker LED headlights --- another bigger than total stupid --- just look at the threads on this forum ----GAK!!

Old 06-08-2016, 08:01 PM
RKC1965
Tourer
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Easy fix for #1 is to get an extension hose from HD. It screws onto valve and makes putting in air a breeze for $10

The following users liked this post:
grumble (06-08-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 08:15 PM
Jackhole48
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by striper.seeker
I personally think MoCo Harley Davidson should cut back on the number of models they currently sell and get better QC and support for fewer models; those that are the most popular sellers. There are so many issues that I read about on this board and others, from GPS and BOOM! to air shocks leaking. The Rushmore series was supposed to be such an upgrade. It's been around nearly four model years now, and still issues abound and old ones remain. Some things I disklike:
1. PITA to check air pressure/put air in. My hands just don't fit under and around the rotor.
2. Gas tank spatters and air pocket develops. I'm always shaking my bike to get the air out to even reach the neck.
3. No blue tooth connection for headsets. Enough said on that.
4. Software updates suck for both maps, and the system itself. 2013 is the latest update for maps. Really? Garmin updates quarterly and it free!!
5. Multiple problems with controllers on bars after washing or getting wet.
I can go on and I'm sure I'll get blasted for this but I just needed to vent and rant. I'm sure each of you could list your own issues.
All vehicles have issues, but seems like other MoCo, whether cages or motorcycles, listen more to their customers. We are not idiots. We are usually middle class, hard working who embrace the brand. I just want to ride without issues and have the things that make a 25K motorcycle worth it. What's your bitches and gripes?
let 'er rip.
Although I agree that fewer models and a focus on top sellers would likely improve certain things, I don't think it would be wise for the company from a business standpoint. It's about market share and maintaining the largest piece of the pie that they can. Fewer models means fewer sales and less revenue to invest back in to R&D and other things. It is somewhat a vicious circle.
As for complaints, I can't say that I really have any with my current bike. It does what it was intend to do.
Just my two cents.

The following users liked this post:
talkingrock (06-08-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 08:16 PM
jclax01
Road Warrior
Received 481 Likes on 265 Posts

I personally do not think the number of models is the issue. within each family, all the bikes are pretty much exactly the same. the only real difference is the way they are dressed out. Of course there are some differences, but quality is really an issue with the suppliers and Harley. Then you have to consider the volume of parts that are out there. All brands have some issue, but they do not have the volume so problems are just not as wide spread. I do believe that Harley should be more conscious about their QC.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:21 PM
Flatfoot57
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by woodmnctry
Couple more and relate to the Ultra Limited:

Idiotic position of the PTT button for CB and coms --- putting it on the right hand handlebars is not only total stupid but has the potential to get someone really hurt.

Daymaker LED headlights --- another bigger than total stupid --- just look at the threads on this forum ----GAK!!
Hallelujah Brother!!! That PTT CB location is stupid as hell!

Old 06-08-2016, 09:36 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

Why or why don't they move the trip button to the inner fairing and use the trip reset button as the PTT....so simple....but I think it is a response to many riders saying they don't use the CB, another reason the CB is an option on the Ultra now..

Old 06-08-2016, 09:44 PM
big papa AZ
Stellar HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 215 Posts

Until sales really dip, they have no reason to up their quality. People are still lining up to buy HD. Obviously you did...

Old 06-09-2016, 07:35 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 151 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by jclax01
I personally do not think the number of models is the issue. within each family, all the bikes are pretty much exactly the same. the only real difference is the way they are dressed out. Of course there are some differences, but quality is really an issue with the suppliers and Harley. Then you have to consider the volume of parts that are out there. All brands have some issue, but they do not have the volume so problems are just not as wide spread. I do believe that Harley should be more conscious about their QC.
When you're scared and don't know that what you are doing is right or wrong you grasp at straws.

I think HD uses its customers as test riders and market survey groups to save money and figures that the brand loyals won't jump ship as long as the problems stay at some imagined "tolerable" level... both for design and for vendor quality. If my previous bike hadn't broken down, again, in a HD dealer's parking lot I would have spent time looking at Victory and Honda (F6B) with a very serious eye.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:24 AM
wndchsr2
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Guess its true that you cant please everyone all the time.

I for one am very glad I can still plug in a headset and not forced to use a BT headset like some want. I dont want some other device to worry about charging up every night.

Having had multiple Harley's over the last 21 years...I can say without a doubt, the '15 Limited is by far the best bike I have ever owned.

The only real complaint and its not even much of a complaint but the PTT button is in a screwed up location. Would be much more user friendly on the left side of the bars.

Quick Reply: Less choices, better Quality control?