Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to remove stock AC....help please

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 07:46 AM
Firenailer
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 95 Posts

Thanks Jack - did you add a tuner or just let the ECM compensate for the AF and Slip Ons?

Old 06-16-2016, 07:31 PM
Jackhole48
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I went with SE/AC as mentioned, V&H Monster Ovals, and a SERT with a dyno tune. Without the tune, the decel popping was too excessive for my taste, and it didn't run as "crisp" as I like. Runs like a million bucks now!

Old 06-17-2016, 10:55 AM
dn.bnntt
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Getting the induction module off is a b**** of a job unless you take the tank off which I found when installing my SE A/C. But given how easy tank removal is on the rushmores I would definitely recommend that you follow the instructions and get rid of it. There's a few youtube videos that show how to do this and it's real easy, 4 bolts and a pinch hose (off and on in 15ish mins)

Old 06-17-2016, 11:31 AM
CaptainKirk
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Firenailer
Looking forward to the pics. Did you need to pull the tank to get to the 2 screws that hold the support induction module bracket (that gets discarded)?
Didn't read the whole thread but, do NOT remove this bracket going to the teardrop from stock!! I went from stock to a Screaming Eagle (Ventilator?) AC and you did remove the bracket as the backplate bolted into the breather bolts and held the induction module in place.

I changed to the S&S Teardrop and didn't see that the induction module bracket was in place in the installation pics. 2 months later, went in for my 10K and the mechanic said you really need to put that bracket back on or you'll run into a lot of trouble without it........whew.

LOVE the retro look of the teardrop!! I just added the breather bypass as well.

Old 06-17-2016, 01:28 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainKirk
Didn't read the whole thread but, do NOT remove this bracket going to the teardrop from stock!! I went from stock to a Screaming Eagle (Ventilator?) AC and you did remove the bracket as the backplate bolted into the breather bolts and held the induction module in place.

I changed to the S&S Teardrop and didn't see that the induction module bracket was in place in the installation pics. 2 months later, went in for my 10K and the mechanic said you really need to put that bracket back on or you'll run into a lot of trouble without it........whew.

Glad you sorted it out. I got lucky noticing it on the vid, and having less tools than I needed looks great in your pic.

Regarding a tuner...I'm running my stock header (with cat) highflow AC and pretty open slip-ons (American Custom Bombers with bassically just TTIs) with a stock tune and zero issues. Bike is running great. No popping, pinging, stumbling, or power loss. I'm sure it could be dialed in even better with a nice dyno, but I am having zero problems with this config so far, and feel it is smoother and feels better than stock. I'm sure an open header would be a different story and prior to this Rushmore I've always lost the cat in the muffler and needed a tune (Sest on my Dyna, XIEDs on my Sporty) to balance the AFR. My old Softail and FXR are carb so they had full dyno and jetting etc.

Old 06-17-2016, 03:37 PM
micmoren
Tourer
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Love that two tone color! Had I looked to see what colors would be out for 2016, I might have waited for that two-tone instead of the 2015 red sunglow/cayenne sunglow I went with. But love mine just the same.

I went with the Screamin Eagle chrome backplate and don't recall having to lift the tank to remove anything. But looking at that old-school look on yours, I might have to go tear drop route. Trying to make mine look as old-school as possible too.

Old 06-17-2016, 06:13 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by micmoren
Love that two tone color! Had I looked to see what colors would be out for 2016, I might have waited for that two-tone instead of the 2015 red sunglow/cayenne sunglow I went with. But love mine just the same.

I went with the Screamin Eagle chrome backplate and don't recall having to lift the tank to remove anything. But looking at that old-school look on yours, I might have to go tear drop route. Trying to make mine look as old-school as possible too.
Thanks. Yeah, I think there is no bad color combo on a RK

If you decide to swap ACs, the S&S kit was $199 at Phat Performance. You'll need a little extra blue loctite but everything else is there. They include some but I needed a little more.

Old 06-21-2016, 06:46 AM
dn.bnntt
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Totally agreed, didn't mean to say that you remove the bracket on each and every install of a new AC unit, just that I did in my case and offering that removing the tank, while it seems an onerous task was well worth the time to make the job easier. If it doesn't say to remove it ... don't!

Originally Posted by CaptainKirk

The following users liked this post:
Firenailer (06-21-2016)
Old 06-22-2016, 02:05 PM
Firenailer
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 95 Posts

Pulling that bracket was the hardest part of the Stage 1 SE/AF install. I cheated and just lifted the rear of the tank but in all honesty should have just pulled it. Would have been faster.

I was getting too much decel popping and it was all a bit ragged so I added the V&H FP3 Fuelpak Tuner last night. Man that thing is slick as heck and the bike has never run better. So far I've installed a stock map for high flow AF and my Round 4" Slash Cuts and it's amazing. I might try the auto tune route as well just for kicks but this thing rocks!

Took it out for a couple hundred miles today and it feels like a different bike. I'm impressed!

Old 06-25-2016, 11:38 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member

Good info on the tank guys. Firenailer, I'm hitting a local tuner next week so I'll be interested to see if I can get close to your Fp3 success. Glad to hear its all working.