2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tried the linked anti lock brakes today....

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2016, 08:46 PM
traildog
Extreme HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 352 Posts
Default Tried the linked anti lock brakes today....

WOW! I SMASHED the floor pedal just to see what it felt like. Almost stopped on a dime and NO tire slide....

I did it 4 or 5 times just to find out if they were as good as the first test......NO DOUBT, they are....

I'm impressed and glad I made sure this ride had anti lock/linked brakes.....

The following users liked this post:
GalvTexGuy (06-13-2016)
Old 06-13-2016, 08:52 PM
CVO SG
Road Warrior
Received 252 Likes on 205 Posts

Yes! I took both the ABATE and the MSF riding courses last month and emergency braking was exercised in both courses. Stops on a dime, but damn it sounds like the rear end is falling apart.

Old 06-13-2016, 09:06 PM
traildog
Extreme HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by us1fountain
Yes! I took both the ABATE and the MSF riding courses last month and emergency braking was exercised in both courses. Stops on a dime, but damn it sounds like the rear end is falling apart.

I agree. That clicking, or whatever the sound is, was weird, but, I feel soooo much better knowing why to expect in a panic breaking situation.....

Old 06-14-2016, 05:06 AM
TimLScheffer
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Saved my life... I will never again ride anything but ABS. I was on I-45 South bound north of Houston. I was in the far right lane around dusk. There was a car in the middle lane about 3 car lenghts ahead of me and a Semi one car lenght ahead of him in the far left lane . The Semi decided he was gonna miss an exit he needed so he hit the brakes, let the car pass and dashed for the exit. We were doing about 65... I went all on the front brake which engages both brakes anti-lock. I was in full brake ABS and steering right. Had I been on a regular brake system I know what happens next. But with the anti lock I mantained steering and traction as I exited with the Semi. The Bar on the back of his trailer clipped my highway peg and rolled forward as I came to a stop on the shoulder of the exit. The Semi Driver didn't even know he had piled on top of me or clipped my bike. He just kept on rolling as I sat there about ten minutes letting the adrenaline rush have it's way with me... There is no doubt in my mind that if I had been on a regular brake system I would have ended up under that Semi when the back wheel locked and my bike switched ends...

The following users liked this post:
traildog (06-14-2016)
Old 06-14-2016, 06:14 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

I tested the ABS on my '15 Limited the day I bought it (controlled conditions, dry, straight road w/no traffic) and I was really shocked at how fast it can stop with no drama whatsoever.

Didn't think I'd be a fan, but I am now!

Old 06-14-2016, 06:17 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,950 Likes on 2,169 Posts

Originally Posted by TimLScheffer
Saved my life... I will never again ride anything but ABS. I was on I-45 South bound north of Houston. I was in the far right lane around dusk. There was a car in the middle lane about 3 car lenghts ahead of me and a Semi one car lenght ahead of him in the far left lane . The Semi decided he was gonna miss an exit he needed so he hit the brakes, let the car pass and dashed for the exit. We were doing about 65... I went all on the front brake which engages both brakes anti-lock. I was in full brake ABS and steering right. Had I been on a regular brake system I know what happens next. But with the anti lock I mantained steering and traction as I exited with the Semi. The Bar on the back of his trailer clipped my highway peg and rolled forward as I came to a stop on the shoulder of the exit. The Semi Driver didn't even know he had piled on top of me or clipped my bike. He just kept on rolling as I sat there about ten minutes letting the adrenaline rush have it's way with me... There is no doubt in my mind that if I had been on a regular brake system I would have ended up under that Semi when the back wheel locked and my bike switched ends...
Not that what happened to you couldn't happen anywhere, but that's one of the reasons I avoid H-Town like the plague, and all major cities for that matter! Hell, I hate driving through there in a cage, especially when it rains.

Old 06-14-2016, 06:35 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
Not that what happened to you couldn't happen anywhere, but that's one of the reasons I avoid H-Town like the plague, and all major cities for that matter! Hell, I hate driving through there in a cage, especially when it rains.
I feel the same way about Denver. Totally insane rat-race 24/7/365 (366 for leap years)!

Old 06-14-2016, 06:52 AM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member

Received 247 Likes on 180 Posts

Saved my **** too and worked GREAT! Approaching a busy intersection upstate and not really paying attention (I know) I looked up to see a flashing red light facing me. Typical Country road, broken up, gravel and sand. Had a split second to hit the brakes hard, bike stopped straight and true with no skid right before the intersection and just as a car came through, I probably would have been his hood ornament. Lesson learned, pay attention at all times!

Old 06-14-2016, 07:10 AM
Steel Wheels
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 167 Posts

Thanks to all for the posts on this system. Hope I never have to use it, but like a good pistol it's nice to know its there.

Old 06-14-2016, 07:33 AM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

Originally Posted by TimLScheffer
I had a pucker factor of 10 just reading this!!!!

Quick Reply: Tried the linked anti lock brakes today....