2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dumb question: How to properly jump start a Rushmore?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 07:04 AM
Greg Di
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Dumb question: How to properly jump start a Rushmore?

I left my ignition on at work yesterday like a bone head and I couldn't get the bike to turn over with the starter.

I have a slight hill leading down to the street and I thought maybe I could roll her down, pop the clutch and get it started. It didn't work. Not sure if I didn't have enough speed to pop the compression or if that's not how you do it.

I had ignition on, bike in the run position, clutch level in and bike in first gear.

I ended up getting a ride to a quick lube to borrow their jump pack but I would like to know how to mechanically start it just in case.

Old 06-23-2016, 07:09 AM
DarkTrak
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your problem is the gear. Need to have it in AT LEAST 2nd, depending on speed obtained while pushing. First is trying to spin the engine over too fast, and therefore skidding the rear tire, if I had to guess.

Old 06-23-2016, 07:40 AM
PSRumors
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

If the battery voltage is too low the fuel injection will not fire.

Old 06-23-2016, 08:05 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 790 Likes on 601 Posts

Bike is fuel injected.
Battery must have enough charge to allow fuel pump and computer to function.
Unless pump is able to prime it will not be possible to push start.
To jump start if you know your battery is just low and no plate is shorting out :
Donor vehicle off.
Attach wires correctly and allow for a float charge to take place for a minute.
Then start bike and remove cables as soon as possible.
Donor car should be off.
Most jump packs are similar but they want the cables on and off quickly depending on the unit (no waiting/no float).

Old 06-23-2016, 08:38 AM
Greg Di
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks, guys.

I think I had enough juice for the EFI, but I probably should have been in 2nd gear.

I am going to try a test run with a full battery just so I know.

Old 06-23-2016, 09:16 AM
SIDECAR BOB
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Attach the red, positive cable clamp to the positive (+) battery terminal of the dead battery. You want a solid connection to the battery terminal, which may require some initial wiggling of the clamps
Attach the red, positive cable clamp on the other side of the jumper cables to the functioning vehicle’s positive (+) battery terminal
Connect the black, negative cable clamp to the working battery’s negative (-) battery terminal. Walk over to the car with the dead battery. Do not connect the black, negative cable clamp to the dead battery. Instead, attach that clamp to an unpainted, metal part of the car such as a shiny, clean nut on the engine block. This will help ensure a safe jump. YOu dont have to worry about the donor car being shut off , the damage from jumpstarting is from voltage spikes from improperly hooking up the jumper cables

Old 06-23-2016, 10:04 AM
kustom78
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what ever you do, DO NOT try to plug into the charging little dongle. I met up with a bunch of people for a ride a month ago and one guy did like you and left the ignition on and it wouldn't crank. he used his handy small hand held jump box, plugged it into that charging port and smoked his gauges and light!

Old 06-23-2016, 10:51 AM
FlyingSkeet
Road Captain
Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts

Days of push starting with dead battery are over. Worked with magneto. Won't work with electronic ignition.

Old 06-23-2016, 12:31 PM
Rhino-1
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyingSkeet
Days of push starting with dead battery are over. Worked with magneto. Won't work with electronic ignition.
I beg to differ. It's not "just" the electronic ignition; it's whether the injectors can prime too (and in some cases, whether the ECM feels there is enough voltage to fire--not sure about HD systems, but true in others). You can bump start an electronic-ignition motorcycle with carbs with an almost-completely-dead battery, if the charging system is in good shape. Add the needs of the injectors, and you'll need a battery in a better state. Still possible, though.

The following users liked this post:
SIDECAR BOB (06-23-2016)
Old 06-23-2016, 12:52 PM
Beaux
Road Warrior
Received 226 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by kustom78
what ever you do, DO NOT try to plug into the charging little dongle. I met up with a bunch of people for a ride a month ago and one guy did like you and left the ignition on and it wouldn't crank. he used his handy small hand held jump box, plugged it into that charging port and smoked his gauges and light!
Define charging dongle?

Battery Tender?

Quick Reply: Dumb question: How to properly jump start a Rushmore?