2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swapped from BMW K1600GT to FLTRU - first thoughts...

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 11:39 PM
Geoff Eccles
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swapped from BMW K1600GT to FLTRU - first thoughts...

Hi all,

After a lifetime of ROW bikes I decided to switch from my old BMW K1600GT friend to a '16 Road Glide Ultra. Primary reason was comfort - as I'm approaching my 6th decade I've had more and more difficulty with long distance rides and joints... and despite trying different seats and pegs the aches always set in after 100 or so miles. So - I decided to try out the FLTRU, and although the road test wasn't exhaustive it did give me some hope that I could hit a 3,000 mile tour without taking a vacation after just to ease the pain....

So now 2 weeks into the HD experience and I have some thoughts to share (and feedback to solicit!):

1. Riding style takes some (enjoyable) time to get to grips with - it takes me back to my learning years in the late '70's when you plan your attack on the road rather than let the bike take the initiative - big positive! (I'm glad that the rubber has improved over the past 40 years...)

2. There is a bigger sense of pride around the bike than anything I've ridden before - nothing to do with the physical looks or build quality - I guess it's the heritage and the fact that it's an 'old school' build from the ground up.

3. The rear brake pedal sucks! I live by the rear brake pedal at low speed (as I'm sure may of you do too...) - so really don't understand why HD put a pedal from a John Deere on a 920LB MC - and then raise it up by another 3" just to be sure that you can see it... I feel an aftermarket vendor calling me....

4. TPMS. No? What do you mean, no? I have to buy an SVO to get TPMS? HELLO...!! I fitted FOBO's today so will see how they work... but HD - really..? And while I'm on wheels & tires - rubber valves...? Come on....

5. Bluetooth. Anyone with a '15-16 Boombox knows what I'm going to say, so I won't say it....

6. The ride. Just knocked off a quick 300 mile half-day circle around NW IL and I felt FANTASTIC dismounting after the ride. I think I'm going to really enjoy my upcoming 7-state vacation in September (and will get to know the bike a bit better too) - in the meantime I'll try and get to grips with the 'special bits' of the Glide ride (and forget about all that BMW technology I grew to rely on..!)

Stay safe, G

Old 07-12-2016, 01:19 AM
White Ice
Stellar HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 184 Posts

Yes, the brake pedal sucks. Check out the +1 from Softbrake.

TPMS. If you installed the FOBO to the rubber stems prepare for a catastrophic failure.

My Bluetooth works as advertised. My phone pairs with the radio and I can make/take calls. Yes the microphone is hard wired to the radio - just like the one in my car.

I love my FLTRU. My first touring bike was a 1984 fixed fairing 1200cc V4 liquid cooled shaft drive 90HP highway hotrod. I had that bike for 23yrs.

Cheers.

Old 07-12-2016, 04:25 AM
roadglider05
Road Master
Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Welcome to the world of some of the finast touring bikes available, If you can stand the drop in performance, you will find the experience to be quite satisfying, these bikes will tear up miles like nothing I have rode before. I also came from the BMW bikes, having LT'S, RT's and GT's, great bikes with loads of power and great handeling. I switched over a while back and have had Road Glides, Classic's, Limited's and now a CVO Limited, a little tweaking and rear suspension work is all that is really required. Be prepared to twist up some miles, ride safe and congrats on the new bike.

Old 07-12-2016, 05:43 AM
valpal
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by White Ice
Yes, the brake pedal sucks. Check out the +1 from Softbrake.
What does it do in comparison to stock? Just wondering as I don't having any real issues - but not knowing what could be better makes me "dumb" in that regard. Input appreciated.

Old 07-12-2016, 05:46 AM
valpal
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

@Op: Thanks for this! Have always wondered what someone like you would say. I have never actually ridden a BMW, not to mention their Touring models. I'm very happy with my FLTRU and find it very, very comfy. But I'm lacking any comparison in that regard. This is why your post basically confirmed what I felt. Makes me feel good. Well done! :-) And happy and safe riding!

Old 07-12-2016, 08:02 AM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

A lot of us that rode metrics in our younger days made the Harley switch for comfort. At 69, I wouldn't consider anything but the big three American made motorcycles for long distance, and Harleys have more options for comfort and performance, plus I'm familiar with them mechanically, getting too old to learn new tricks.

I still have some metrics, but the only one I bothered to insure so far this year was a Ural sidecar rig, and I have no plans to ever take a long trip on that thing.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:55 AM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,920 Likes on 8,432 Posts

I agree with the comment about the rear brake pedal. While wearing some shoes, I can't rest my heal on the floor board while breaking for the better control. My ankle just doesn't bend that far.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:04 AM
big papa AZ
Stellar HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by EasternSP
I agree with the comment about the rear brake pedal. While wearing some shoes, I can't rest my heal on the floor board while breaking for the better control. My ankle just doesn't bend that far.
After 2 weeks of the super high brake lever, I just stopped using the rear brake. I just make use of the linked brakes. I could just remove the rear brake lever.

The FOBOs work great for most of us.

Former RR, KR, and RRT rider here.

Old 07-12-2016, 11:43 AM
7roper7
Cruiser
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Yeah, I've owned BMWs and many other brands. The rear brake pedal really makes me scratch my head.

Also, what the blazes is up with the heel shift lever? Has anyone figured out how to get a crisp smooth shift by picking your foot up and shifting by pushing down with your heel?

I roll off the throttle a tiny bit while squeezing in the clutch a fraction as my toe moves the shift lever from a preloaded position into the next gear.

My heel lever is somewhere in the junk pile behind the barn.

The following users liked this post:
Steamfighter (07-13-2016)
Old 07-12-2016, 11:54 AM
sailmotion
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7,838 Likes on 3,236 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoff Eccles
Hi all,

After a lifetime of ROW bikes I decided to switch from my old BMW K1600GT friend to a '16 Road Glide Ultra. Primary reason was comfort - as I'm approaching my 6th decade I've had more and more difficulty with long distance rides and joints... and despite trying different seats and pegs the aches always set in after 100 or so miles. So - I decided to try out the FLTRU, and although the road test wasn't exhaustive it did give me some hope that I could hit a 3,000 mile tour without taking a vacation after just to ease the pain....

So now 2 weeks into the HD experience and I have some thoughts to share (and feedback to solicit!):

1. Riding style takes some (enjoyable) time to get to grips with - it takes me back to my learning years in the late '70's when you plan your attack on the road rather than let the bike take the initiative - big positive! (I'm glad that the rubber has improved over the past 40 years...)

2. There is a bigger sense of pride around the bike than anything I've ridden before - nothing to do with the physical looks or build quality - I guess it's the heritage and the fact that it's an 'old school' build from the ground up.

3. The rear brake pedal sucks! I live by the rear brake pedal at low speed (as I'm sure may of you do too...) - so really don't understand why HD put a pedal from a John Deere on a 920LB MC - and then raise it up by another 3" just to be sure that you can see it... I feel an aftermarket vendor calling me....

4. TPMS. No? What do you mean, no? I have to buy an SVO to get TPMS? HELLO...!! I fitted FOBO's today so will see how they work... but HD - really..? And while I'm on wheels & tires - rubber valves...? Come on....

5. Bluetooth. Anyone with a '15-16 Boombox knows what I'm going to say, so I won't say it....

6. The ride. Just knocked off a quick 300 mile half-day circle around NW IL and I felt FANTASTIC dismounting after the ride. I think I'm going to really enjoy my upcoming 7-state vacation in September (and will get to know the bike a bit better too) - in the meantime I'll try and get to grips with the 'special bits' of the Glide ride (and forget about all that BMW technology I grew to rely on..!)

Stay safe, G
Since you've already ridden more than 10 miles and I assume have at least negotiated a turn or 2, I'm sure you have discovered that lean angles are dramatically different. I came from an RT and, despite more than 6K miles on my '14 Ultra, I still occasionally drag a floorboard on a basic turn. I guess I'm just a slow learner.

Quick Reply: Swapped from BMW K1600GT to FLTRU - first thoughts...