Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 11:24 PM
sumncguy
Road Warrior

Received 213 Likes on 128 Posts
Default My 2016 Limited 8400 miles - Troubles

gas cap issue - got it.
Squeeky rear brake issue - got it.
Coolant issues -got it - 4 month old bike and I spent 2.5 hours at the dealership 100 miles from the house while they tried to figure things out.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/new-r...l#post15351114

Waiting for the clutch issue ... already surging slightly forward even in Neutral. I make sure I see the green N and I move the bike at least 2 feet before starting in neutral with the brake on.
Waiting for the Brake issue.

Will start to look at the value of this bike and the cost of another Gold Wing. Luckily I have enough equity in this bike to make the move back to the Gold Wing very easy IF/WHEN the situation warrants.

Not looking good for Harley.

Top Answer

07-24-2016, 04:25 AM
jamesroadking
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

I get it, your frustrated because you got some minor issues after spending a lot of money on your new Harley. But, really your thinking of switching to a Gold Wing, those things have major issues that can't be fixed. First major issue, no place to put your feet, 5 speed transmissions, sound like a sewing machines, you'll look really stupid riding one.

Old 07-24-2016, 12:25 AM
68 XLCH
Road Warrior
Received 149 Likes on 129 Posts

Looks like you got one with all of the known issues/recalls.

New gas cap should fix that.
Recall on clutch, all mfg have recalls, they should fix that without issue.
Coolant, was an early issue but much more rare now.
Squeaky brake, they should change the pad, check rotor, haven't heard of this issue.

If you don't get satisfaction, bail and go back to the Gold Wing.

Drawn out back and forth trips to the dealer suxs.

Old 07-24-2016, 04:25 AM
jamesroadking
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

I get it, your frustrated because you got some minor issues after spending a lot of money on your new Harley. But, really your thinking of switching to a Gold Wing, those things have major issues that can't be fixed. First major issue, no place to put your feet, 5 speed transmissions, sound like a sewing machines, you'll look really stupid riding one.

The following 13 users liked this post by jamesroadking:
30glock (07-24-2016), bradsULtd (10-02-2016), chrisg81983 (10-04-2016), cruzrtwdgt (07-25-2016), GTK (07-29-2016), INJEKTER (07-25-2016), jimmmya (10-24-2016), mibeaulieu (07-24-2016), nocarb (07-26-2016), RATFINK53 (10-01-2016), Rhino-1 (07-26-2016), RoadKingCop (07-24-2016), secular (10-02-2016) and 8 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-24-2016, 06:41 AM
Frankd
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had a few issues with my 14 Limited but they've been sorted out and has since been great, love the sound, looks and attitude of these bikes. stick it out, get it fixed and you'll love it. Gold Wings sure aren't what they use to be and for whatever my opinions worth to me they now just look, well, let's just say not very manly.

Old 07-24-2016, 06:53 AM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Surging, even while in neutral? LOL

Sounds like your just trying to convince yourself Harleys suck, and you want to get back on a wing.

You'll never be happy

Old 07-24-2016, 07:34 AM
rufasim
Road Warrior
Received 155 Likes on 110 Posts

I just came off a 2012 street glide onto a 2015 goldwing. People always ask me why, your bike was awesome looking and only 4 years old? I put 35000 miles on that bike in the 4 years. Not a lot for some but more for others. I tell them the truth. I always wanted a Harley and 4 years ago I was in the right place in life, so I got one. Well, I found my self back in that place, and I always wanted a goldwing, so I got one. I had to trade the harley in, couldn't afford to keep both.
I thought that I might have a hard time finding a place comfortable for my feet. Not the case. The riding position is more comfortable than you can imaging. I added a set of high way pegs so I can stretch out. The only issue is that when I stretch out on the pegs my legs are wider apart than when on the harley and my legs are hitting the plastic of the goldwing. You get used to it. Oh, and I wish my arms can be raised with a set of mini apes.
Just like you get used to the power. That 6 cylinder is so much faster than the 103 ever thinks it can be. And the ride is silky smooth, even when idling at a red light. The heated seats and grips are not needed now but when the cooler months arrive, well lets say I can now keep the bike out of storage for another month. The gw weighs like about 100 lbs more than the harley so that reverse does come in handy when parked on a slope.
I am only 51 and this will not be my last bike. I always wanted a limited also so I may be back to riding a harley again. A friend has an indian road master and that is one nice bike. I may go that route. You never know what the future holds till you get there.

Old 07-24-2016, 08:11 AM
sumncguy
Road Warrior

I expected those who bleed orange would come to silly conclusion when reading my original post. I post FACTS when I refer to issues good or bad for ANY vehicle I own. And I don't make d3finite statements without having first hand knowledge of the vehicle related topic.

I actually like this bike. I want it to run well, if it doesnt I dump it in a second. I ride. I don't want to spend riding time at the bike shop.

Ref the Goldwing. The goldwing is the king of the road. Look at my sig. I've owned one. Also .. look at the mileage. I don't ride my bike up to the dealership hang for 2 hours then eat and go home. I bought this limited 4/25 and already have over 8400. Not many do those kind of miles. I need reliability. The goldwing is solid as a rock from that aspect and like this harley one has to make modifications to make it comfortable. And although it's unfair to do such a comparison the wing will dust ANY stock Harley. Flat 6 as compared to twin. Lastly , the ONLY mechanical problem the wing has is with the abs system. We can read here ... so does harley.
Again this post is to share my experience and share what my approach will be if issues persist. If your one of those people who love the brand and there is nothing else for you. I tip my hat. For me .. reliability and safety is most important. .... and for the guy who questions the surge in neutral intermittently ... come visit .. I'll let you try it out ..

The bike will head into the dealer this week. Glad I still have my vtx that I can ride I the mean time.

The following users liked this post:
09 YELLOWBIRD (11-26-2016)
Old 07-24-2016, 08:34 AM
sumncguy
Road Warrior

Oh hey I do want to give a positive shout out and cudos to Cross road Harley in Wilkesboro NC. They had the bike on the lift within 10 minutes of my arrival. A ricer dealership wouldn't have been as easy or quick to action an issue. all the guys I was riding with agreed. Riders of vstrom fjr and cbr. Cross roads had me back on the road in 2.5 hours and I eventually caught up to the fellas.

Old 07-24-2016, 09:19 AM
Sunnyday91360
Road Captain
Received 91 Likes on 58 Posts

sounds like self-fulfilled prophecy

Old 07-24-2016, 09:41 AM
7roper7
Cruiser
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Why did you buy a Harley in the first place? Sounds like you went from what you think is the best, and had great success with to something else. Everything is a compromise.

Quick Reply: My 2016 Limited 8400 miles - Troubles