Sponsored by:

Water pump failure on 2015 Limited

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 07:35 AM
mps1168
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by harley0711
From the way I read the above... you Have to have your bike inspected? Well, your Waterpump is OUT - So, will they pass your inspection, allow you to buy the warranty Then fix the waterpump??? sounds like a way for them to make sure the bike is NOT in need of a fix before they sell you the warranty
Correct, I expect an "inspection" is to verify there isn't anything already failed/broke that would require immediate attention and the water pump is already fixed so it wouldn't get covered anyway.

mps

Old 08-17-2016, 08:42 AM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by harley0711
From the way I read the above... you Have to have your bike inspected? Well, your Waterpump is OUT - So, will they pass your inspection, allow you to buy the warranty Then fix the waterpump??? sounds like a way for them to make sure the bike is NOT in need of a fix before they sell you the warranty
That is the way all Insurance policies work.
An extended warranty is nothing more than an insurance policy.
The "factory warranty" has run out.

You don't get into an accident, and then go buy insurance coverage so that they pay for it after the fact.

Insurance policies will start coverage from a known good working point.

Now with that said, "some dealers" are more willing to work with you than others if yours just expired and there have been others with the same issue.

Old 08-19-2016, 03:25 PM
mps1168
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tpcowfish
How far out of warranty, and what dealer, mine was replaced free by the MOCO, a few month's out of warranty, First dealer said no, second called and got it done, just wondered about the time, and possible dealer not calling, and getting it done.

I had it replaced at Black Hills HD in Rapid City SD

mps

Old 08-19-2016, 04:42 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

No water pump means no water pump failure. HD needs to stick with what works and not bother with something mechanically unnecessary for a V-twin motor. And for the person that says HD sales are tanking? Dealers in my neck of the woods can't keep new bikes in stock.

Old 08-19-2016, 05:35 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildon883R
No water pump means no water pump failure. HD needs to stick with what works and not bother with something mechanically unnecessary for a V-twin motor. And for the person that says HD sales are tanking? Dealers in my neck of the woods can't keep new bikes in stock.
yea, i know what you mean. i started riding and building choppers that only had six wires that ran the entire bike. now look where we are at. never thought i would own something with a radio, much less fuel injection.

Old 09-18-2016, 01:24 PM
slapshot12
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

My water pump died this morning. I noticed the CEL and temp warning lights on a few minutes after leaving the house. I stopped and checked the code with the FP3 and found it was P1019. A quick google and found it was temp related. I checked and found the fans were coming on, and there was coolant in the tank, but couldn't check much more on the road. We were going by the dealer on our ride, so I stopped in. Luckily, their service department is open on Sundays. After some time waiting for them to check it out, they say the water pump isn't working and will have to order parts.

It's still under warranty, so we just lost a day of riding. Hopefully this will be the end of any water pump problems. Worst case, the ESP will cover it.

Last edited by slapshot12; 09-18-2016 at 02:19 PM.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:35 PM
slapshot12
Road Warrior

Finally got the bike back today. A new water pump under warranty fixed the problem, no issues on the ride home in the rain.

Old 09-27-2016, 02:32 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

Originally Posted by slapshot12
Finally got the bike back today. A new water pump under warranty fixed the problem, no issues on the ride home in the rain.
they had your bike for 9 days for a water pump ? did they give you a loaner to ride ? they should have overnited that pump and sent you on your way the next day. way to long for just a water pump.

Old 09-27-2016, 06:30 PM
slapshot12
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by hardheaded
they had your bike for 9 days for a water pump ? did they give you a loaner to ride ? they should have overnited that pump and sent you on your way the next day. way to long for just a water pump.
They offered a loaner (only because I have the ESP), but I didn't take one since I knew I wouldn't be riding while it was gone, and all they had to offer was a RK and a Heritage. They said I'd have to pay the tax and insurance, so I didn't see the need just to park it in the garage. It would have made getting home and back easier, but not worth the $$.

I wasn't very happy it took so long either. The next time I see the service manager, I plan to talk with him about it.

Old 09-27-2016, 06:53 PM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 510 Likes on 444 Posts

If the need for a loaner or rental happens again, you might want to call your bike insurance company to see if your insurance would cover the loaner/rental. I have Foremost and they covered a rental that I got in South Carolina. The HD/CNA ESP covered $75/per day up to $750 towards a rental. The dealer had a half price special on a rental if your bike was getting repaired so 8 days of the rental cost me $0.00. I got to complete my road trip using the rental from Charleston, SC to FT Worth, TX and back. Then I picked up my repaired bike for the rest of the trip back home to LI, NY.

Quick Reply: Water pump failure on 2015 Limited