Sponsored by:

Fueling Reaper 574 Cams

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 08:22 PM
Secret_Squirrel
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fueling Reaper 574 Cams

Hello all. I have been a member for a bit but rarely post. However, I wanted to share my experience with the Reaper 574 cams I just installed. First, I have a 2015 Street Glide Special. I have added V&H Exhaust with RCXhaust Slip ons, V&H Intake, and FP3 Tuner. I also have put on 12" Apes from Yaffe, a Danny Grey Airhawk seat (my third seat, I think my last as I like it), and some other odds and ends.

I was going to hold off on installing new cams until winter, but a friend of mine (on my recommendation) got a set of S&S 583s on his 2016 Street Bob and the sound was amazing, along with the performance boost. I like the S&S, but wanted to go a different route so I got the Reaper 574s for mine. Took me a couple of days (work) to get them in and everything buttoned up, but it was all well worth it. The bike is strong all the way to 6000, although I have not pushed it past that yet, and runs like a scalded ape. It is very smooth and has a great sound. I think I could take my friends Street Bob, although it would be close. The 574 does not have as much lift, but has a lot more duration.

Over all, I am pleased with this cam and will probably get their camchest kit later next year. Anyone else running these cams?

Old 08-13-2016, 08:31 PM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,548 Likes on 667 Posts

Hows the lower end power around the 3000-3500 mark? how does it pull from cruising speed as you roll on the throttle?

I'm looking at their 543's or the 574's with the full cam chest. I really like lots of mid range.

Old 08-13-2016, 08:44 PM
Secret_Squirrel
Novice

Cam comes on around 2500-2700 and gets really strong at 3000. Rolling on the throttle in sixth gear at anything over 50-55 will put a smile on your face. It is a little soft at 2000 RPM, but that is the trade off. Overall I think it works great on the bike for cruising and the occasional rip down the road. One other note; there is a slight noise from the intake from reversion, created by the cam overlap. You cant hear it while riding, it's only if you put your ear to the intake. Sounds like a small rubber mallet hitting a piece of wood. I have read plenty of others who have the same issue from a large duration cam, although not everyone has it (I think the throttle body harmonics have something to do with it, but I am not an engineer so I am not sure). It does not bother me at all.

Oil pressure is 33-35 hot while at cruise, and 13-15 at idle all day long.

Last edited by Secret_Squirrel; 08-13-2016 at 08:46 PM.
Old 08-14-2016, 05:27 PM
target64
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Secret_Squirrel
Cam comes on around 2500-2700 and gets really strong at 3000. Rolling on the throttle in sixth gear at anything over 50-55 will put a smile on your face. It is a little soft at 2000 RPM, but that is the trade off. Overall I think it works great on the bike for cruising and the occasional rip down the road. One other note; there is a slight noise from the intake from reversion, created by the cam overlap. You cant hear it while riding, it's only if you put your ear to the intake. Sounds like a small rubber mallet hitting a piece of wood. I have read plenty of others who have the same issue from a large duration cam, although not everyone has it (I think the throttle body harmonics have something to do with it, but I am not an engineer so I am not sure). It does not bother me at all.

Oil pressure is 33-35 hot while at cruise, and 13-15 at idle all day long.
with that intake closing of 45* it drops your corrected compression to 8.97:1 @ 184 cca with the compression set to 10.3-10.5 it would be in the range were that cam would really rock and there would be no soft bottom.

Old 08-14-2016, 10:26 PM
ChromeSpark
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Breakout I had, just traded in, has the 574 cam. It will definitely crank the grin factor up at the 2800-2900 range. If in lowers gears it gets very exciting very quickly (1st & 2nd). Didn't notice the noise mentioned above. I also had the Bassani Road Rage, it's a sweet combination! The intention was to go to 10.5:1 and light head work.

Old 08-15-2016, 04:25 AM
Secret_Squirrel
Novice

From everything I have read, not everyone gets the noise (or maybe its harder to hear, who knows). I have also seen a lot of guys with various cams with it, but no running issues. I will probably change out the intake down the road as it has a tendency to 'buzz' at certain RPMs in any case, although it's not real high on my priority list. I also plan to have the heads and intake ported, along with milled slightly to bump compression sometime next year. A 107 kit is also on the list. It never stops...

Old 08-15-2016, 04:31 AM
BadX
Elite HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 49 Posts

Had the same cams in my 2010 Road Glide with a 96 and man it brought that bike to life and sounded awesome. Been thinking about putting a set of the Reaper's in my 16 Road Glide. Here is a little video of them in the RG.

The following users liked this post:
drummin1 (01-16-2022)
Old 08-15-2016, 04:34 AM
Secret_Squirrel
Novice

Nice, I actually watched this video among others when deciding what to get. IT does sound good, although I kept the baffles so the noise is not out of control. Without baffles I think it would sound fantastic, but I don't know if I could live with it every day (or my neighbors).

Old 08-17-2016, 01:51 AM
BadX
Elite HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Secret_Squirrel
Nice, I actually watched this video among others when deciding what to get. IT does sound good, although I kept the baffles so the noise is not out of control. Without baffles I think it would sound fantastic, but I don't know if I could live with it every day (or my neighbors).
We cut the baffles in half, without them it didn't sound as crisp.

Old 08-25-2016, 07:23 PM
DeneFXDWG
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

I just found out yesterday that these cams were installed in my friends 09 96" Ultra. I thought he had SnS cams in her but in fact the Feuling 574.
I can absolutely spank him down low, mid range roll on or a top end side by side charge. I would've chosen a different cam based on him wanting a drop in cam with no head work. I am more amazed his go to mechanic chose them when I hinted Andrews 21,26, or 48's or the smaller Reapers when he full well knew my buddy rides two up 75% or more of the time!

Quick Reply: Fueling Reaper 574 Cams